LaunchBox Community Forums

Non-installed Steam/GOG Galaxy/Origin games import feature

CliveBarker

portachking said Hey Jason, New poster, but a happy pro-user. I seem to running into a brick wall when I try to import non-Steam/Windows games. It never finds any. Running Windows 8.1. Here's a screen, so call me out if I'm doing something idiotic: Untitled.jpg
Well how and what are you importing exactly? Edit: Well, I see Windows games, but GOG games, Origin games, generally installed games? That sort of thing.

portachking said Well, I guess it's not just me then. I enabled beta testing and tried that but it didn't make any difference. I'm going to disable it again now. I'd rather support something by giving ten dollars over beta testing these days. Wink
Well it doens't hurt to get both. It's very rare that, so far what seems to be a bug, gets in to a final build. All that toggle does is when there is a beta update, you'll download that. There is no beta right now, but when Jason fixes this he might put it out as a beta or an official update. Just depends.

Hmm, okay, thanks guys. And welcome portachking. :) Keep in mind that it won't show duplicates in the list, unless you check the force duplicates box. So if you already have a game in your collection, it simply won't show up in the list. Could that be the issue? Otherwise, I'll have to dive in and keep asking questions until we can figure out the problem. It will never be 100% perfect, so a game here or there that it doesn't find we may just have to deal with. But if it's not finding any games at all, obviously there's a problem I need to fix. Try checking that "force import duplicates" box and let me know if you get any listed that way. Thanks guys. :)

I just checked the "force import duplicates" box and still can't import it, hmm well the thing is that I only have one GOG game installed right now, and it is Fallout, maybe I can install more to see what happens, also, I wonder what paths are LaunchBox scanning when looking for GOG games? My GOG game paths are: http://i.imgur.com/y5ZDque.png

Hi Jason, I tried that, it made no difference I'm afraid. Just throwing an idea into the dark here, but I have two hardrives. All of my games are installed on my E drive, while Windows is installed on a smaller SSD C drive. I wonder if others have the same setup and if that has something to do with it?

portachking said Hi Jason, I tried that, it made no difference I'm afraid. Just throwing an idea into the dark here, but I have two hardrives. All of my games are installed on my E drive, while Windows is installed on a smaller SSD C drive. I wonder if others have the same setup and if that has something to do with it?
I dont think it should. Regardless of where a game gets installed, most of the time it writes to your registry and makes links with shortcusts in your start menu; which is a folder you can navigate to. LB is looking for those links then using. In the case of GOG, some games require that the game be launched via this route. Jason, all of my GOG games are not duplicates. If I had it on Steam, I wouldn't need it on GOG ;) So duplicates shouldn't be an issue.

SentaiBrad said
portachking said Hi Jason, I tried that, it made no difference I'm afraid. Just throwing an idea into the dark here, but I have two hardrives. All of my games are installed on my E drive, while Windows is installed on a smaller SSD C drive. I wonder if others have the same setup and if that has something to do with it?
I dont think it should. Regardless of where a game gets installed, most of the time it writes to your registry and makes links with shortcusts in your start menu; which is a folder you can navigate to. LB is looking for those links then using. In the case of GOG, some games require that the game be launched via this route. Jason, all of my GOG games are not duplicates. If I had it on Steam, I wouldn't need it on GOG ;) So duplicates shouldn't be an issue.
I had a similar issue though, in that I had three copies of Grimrock installed, and it only caught the one on drive C:. Not sure if it's related, but the only way to know for sure is to do similar installs on dual drives, and do clean scans to see what LB picks up. Unfortunately, I think may have cracked my radiator tonight 20 miles outside of town, so I'm going to be busy tomorrow. Soon as I can though, I'll check this out.

This morning, I'm downloading several GOG (Windows specific) games via the Galaxy client, which installs to an external drive (no OS). I'll also download the same games via their old installer, which places them on the C:\ (with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS). Then I'll try scanning each with a fresh LaunchBox install and see what happens. The betting pool is now open. :) EDIT @ 9:38am: Or, possibly not, as GOG seems to be having massive server side problems at the moment. It also appears that, effective today, GOG's older client is no more, as clicking on games from your library (via the website, not Galaxy) starts a direct download of the executable. Bummer. EDIT to my edit: Yep...with today's update, on a clean LB install, I'm no longer getting any games via the Windows import (even the MS-DOS ones I used to get ;) ). Posting this to the Beta Report thread.

Let's try and work through this one guys, try and figure it out. I'm still getting plenty of results on my machines, so I don't understand what the problem is. If anyone is open to using join.me to have a screen sharing session so I can try and see what's going on, that'd be great. Let me know. Just to clear some things up, LaunchBox checks two different spots for games. It looks in your Start menu for games, basically by comparing all of your Start menu shortcuts against the LocalDB to try and find games. Then it looks in what is called the Windows Games Explorer using the registry; and just assumes that everything found in there is an actual game. It also checks to make sure files exist and such, of course. We could be running into permissions issues, I suppose, but I would have expected that to error out instead of just not return anything. I think I'll probably put out a debug version that spits out a bunch of debug messages to help troubleshoot this.

Jason Carr said That's exactly what I don't understand. And why would it work fine for me, but not for you guys? That's why I need your help troubleshooting it.
If you still want help tomorrow, I'll do whatever you need. Yesterday I had the car towed (that broke down 20 miles from home - $160 tow charge - ouch), and ended up trading it in for a 2011 Ford Fusion. Great car, but now I'm trying to find the title for the old car and get it cleaned out and this put behind me.