LaunchBox Community Forums

Calling all Brad & Jason-types: Prestigious Job Opening at Blizzard

CadetStimpy

Ha, for the first time in my life I can say I'm happy where I'm at and wouldn't really want a game development position. That's pretty awesome (and crazy) because becoming a game developer was a dream of mine since I was 12. But honestly, I think I'm happier doing exactly what I'm doing right now. :D
  • Like 1

But, you'd be the Director of the project, so you'd have hordes of game developing minions at your 'disposal'. LaughLaugh But, seriously, it's really cool that you're so happy with what you're doing now. I suspect I can speak for most of the LaunchBox community in that we're happy you're "developing" for us! Woo-Hoo! Smile P.S. If ya love your job, you'll never 'work' another day in your life.

Click here to apply Online for this job. Scroll down when ya get there, as the requirements are interesting and pretty damn steep! Here's the first one: Be the vision holder for the franchise, setting the creative goals for the team. Vision holder? That alone is way outta my league. Laugh In the mandatory Cover Letter you must supply, they wanna know what games you are currently playing. Game-Director.jpg

They also want you to have shipped games as a director. It's a vicious cycle. Want to apply for a job like this, but must have experience, but must get job to have experience, but must have experience to get job... Yea. I would love having this job and I could probably do it to be completely honest, but that's not gonna happen. xD

• 1 month later...

I went to school for game development. You pretty much sacrifice a lot for very little in return. I never did finish and decided half way thru that family was more important... open source has come along way. My goto animation program is blender which is free. Gimp for image manipulation  and unity for tinkering around in a game development. I can say that you have a better chance at getting a job if your self taught than if you went to school for it..  

Game development studio work is hell unless you get really lucky with a select few developers. I knew a couple of guys that worked at Silicon Knights as 3D artists years ago during the N64 era and they worked long brutal hours and all they got was shit on. Then again I guess it was Denis Dyack, who is known to be ummm, how to put it nicely, let's just say a real piece of work.