LaunchBox Community Forums

Adding a taskbar Icon to emulators that don't have one already

DOS76

I recently noticed that both the SSF emulator and the 4DO emulator don't have an icon that shows on the taskbar just a blank looking form in order to change this I did this few step process and added my own. 1st step was to locate an image that you would like to make the icon. Both images that I chose where PNG so I used the website ConvertICO.com to generate my images as Icons (the 4DO image had to be altered in Paint first to eliminate some unwanted elements) 2nd I then moved the Icons to the folders with the emulators .exe 3rd Install a program called Resource Hacker then right click on the emulators .exe and chose open with Resource Hacker from the context menu 4th In Resource Hacker go to the Action tab and chose add resource a new windows will open then select open file with new resource you will then have to select the file that you wish to be the icon give it a name and language the resource is in click add resource and then save the changes Resource Hacker will make a new .exe and rename your old .exe as original.exe Finally run your newly created .exe and see your icon pop up on the taskbarFourDO_Weblogo.pngSSF.png

• 2 weeks later...
I was playing around today with getting both CPS3 and Crystal Systems emulator working (which I did) that is when I noticed that Crystal didn't have an icon on the taskbar so I searched for an image and they didn't seem to have one so I decided to create my own. I used the above method but for some reason it added the icon to the .exe but it doesn't show on the taskbar. This is the first time I tried this and it didn't work so I guess it only works sometimes. I made the icon by grabbing an image of a crystal, downloading a font called crystalline, word, snipping tool and the above mentioned ConvertICO.com. Crystal.PNG

DOS76 said I was playing around today with getting both CPS3 and Crystal Systems emulator working (which I did) that is when I noticed that Crystal didn't have an icon on the taskbar so I searched for an image and they didn't seem to have one so I decided to create my own. I used the above method but for some reason it added the icon to the .exe but it doesn't show on the taskbar. This is the first time I tried this and it didn't work so I guess it only works sometimes. I made the icon by grabbing an image of a crystal, downloading a font called crystalline, word, snipping tool and the above mentioned ConvertICO.com. Crystal.PNG
Did you attach the image to the shortcut or the exe in its folder?

Depending on how the application was written, you may or may not be able to change the icon in the task bar by editing the EXE in Resource Hacker. There are numerous ways to program that functionality, and not all of them would allow you to change them, unfortunately.

As Crystal only emulates 2 games (both playable in MAME) its really not that big of a deal. One is a soccer game and the other The Crystals of Kings actually looks like it might be pretty cool. I so badly want to build a 4 Player sit down arcade machine! For one because it would be sick to have one and two it would give me an excuse to buy a new PC. I'm thinking I would just buy the components and mount them to a wooden board and then mount this to the inside of the cab thus saving the cost of a case. Also would probably just mount a flat screen so I would only need half a cab to hold the computer and support the arcade board. I would run the control sticks via USB right to some internal usb to external usb adapters and then some how mount a usb hub on both sides and have some way to have all of my console specific controllers and my Arcade Guns light guns neatly arranged on both sides. Unfortunately I'm just pipe dreaming (with out the pipe) since I don't know where I would be able to place this in my house (Or how I would be able to also connect my Logitech G27 Racing wheel without it looking like an eye sore).

Turns out that after restarting the computer and running Crystal emulator the icon is now appearing on the taskbar so the method is still 100% success for me. Now if I could figure out how to set Launchbox to launch the game it launches the emulator and then you Load game from game list not as convenient but since the list is small not to bad same for CPS3 which is only six games. This would be less convenient in Kawakas

Yes, just hasn't been priority. I should be adding "platform management" soon (probably for the next version), so it makes sense to include it as part of that feature set. The new platform management will also include the much-requested platform backgrounds.