LaunchBox Community Forums

Old Versions of LaunchBox

DOS76

was searching on their forum to see if there was ever any mention of LaunchBox on their site and I saw a post saying that they had updated it so I looked around. Wouldn't anyone who installed one of those versions instantly be prompted to download to a newer version anyway. I just saw a post on there where a user was asking about GameEX so I posted that he should try LauchBox instead and posted a link to the BigBox video. Your program deserves much more attention than it get although I see that the forum members ship has doubles within the last month and the new user line at the bottom never has the same names for more than a day.

It's free software but not free to distribute. Why not just they link to the site? Maybe because I am so close to this software and you Jason, but that makes me feel uneasy. Though, to their average user they might not even know or care. I would just hate a general user to get a hold of the version that is 2+ years old and expect that that is it. Also, older versions don't have the update function. So they'd be stuck there essentially unless they went and downloaded the latest version or a version with it in.

Yeah, it's a fine line. We do get lots of traffic, which is absolutely amazing. I just prefer that people use the latest version, get it from the real source, and have as positive of an experience as possible. I also require people's emails for downloads on this site which really helps to boost sales, to be completely honest. It's helped me turn it into a legitimate project instead of just a hobby thing. That said, I'm not about to go and play download police and raise a stink; I do recognize the value of additional exposure. However, if an external download link ever got more popular (higher up in search results) than the official LaunchBox download page, we'd have a problem because I'd lose a lot of my current marketing opportunities. I really hate mass email and spam, so I was very hesitant to ever send any mass email, but honestly I've gotten very positive responses from it. Most people seem happy to receive legitimate valuable content related to LaunchBox via email, so that's been extremely valuable and I'd hate to lose that opportunity.

Jason, there is something to be said for precedent. It's common for IP Holder's to pursue any and all cases no matter how remote because precedent could kill them. Like Bethesda. Now I am not saying what so ever to sue these sites, but on download.com for example I know that the IP owner / Software developer / rights holder (whatever you want to be called?) can instead say, sure keep me in the searches and rank me but link to the site instead by my request. Which they honor. Extra sources for traffic is awesome but then its well if they can post the download then so can I! Not that you can ever make it all go away. xD Also Derek, no can of works really. Why can't we talk about these things? It's not like anyone on this thread is being uncivil. I mean... I can if you want me to be. I do a pretty good no pants dance. Edit: The word pointed out in my second paragraph is an example of being awake for too damn long. No can of worms*

• 1 year later...