LaunchBox Community Forums

GamesDB is down once again.

DOS76

CliveBarker said I just have a question: can the same thing happen to our database if the community grows a lot and the hosting costs become unaffordable?
That's a definite no. Thankfully LaunchBox has a very good revenue stream now (we're making money on LaunchBox Premium sales), so we can afford a good server that can easily handle the load. TheGamesDB.net (at least up until now) has been run on a virtualized (low-power) server because they don't have the revenue for a server that can truly handle the load. We have a physical server that can easily handle the load, and can upgrade it if necessary. There's too much banking on the LaunchBox database functionality for me to ever let it fail, so that shouldn't be a concern. Hosting costs are minimal compared to the income of LaunchBox sales (which are now paying my salary and feeding my family, praise the Lord).

Jason Carr said TheGamesDB.net (at least up until now) has been run on a virtualized (low-power) server because they don't have the revenue for a server that can truly handle the load.
Didn't know that...I imagined they had some sick server because they were very well known and big. Maybe they could try to use Patreon, GoFundMe or something like that. Looking forward to start contributing to our database! Have a nice day Jason.

DOS76 said Hey Clive. We've already seen that message in another post but thanks for sharing it anyway.
I tried the link provided but it requested me to fill a captcha and login to facebook to read it, I thought some people didn't want to login just to read it so I pasted the message from reddit. I hate Facebook to ask me to login just to read a post. Don't want to sound rude, I just got angry with Zuckerberg.

Jason Carr said New beta version is out. I got sick and tired of TGDB going down so I ragequit. We're no longer reliant on TheGamesDB.net. LaunchBox is now connected to a read-only database hosted by us (based on the data from TheGamesDB.net).
Awesome... sounds great. Thanks.

Jason Carr said
CliveBarker said I just have a question: can the same thing happen to our database if the community grows a lot and the hosting costs become unaffordable?
That's a definite no. Thankfully LaunchBox has a very good revenue stream now (we're making money on LaunchBox Premium sales), so we can afford a good server that can easily handle the load. TheGamesDB.net (at least up until now) has been run on a virtualized (low-power) server because they don't have the revenue for a server that can truly handle the load. We have a physical server that can easily handle the load, and can upgrade it if necessary. There's too much banking on the LaunchBox database functionality for me to ever let it fail, so that shouldn't be a concern. Hosting costs are minimal compared to the income of LaunchBox sales (which are now paying my salary and feeding my family, praise the Lord).
I rely on that income too. Like Jason said, we can not let it fail.