LaunchBox Community Forums

Windows 10 Insider Preview and Kega Fusion

DOS76

I've recently noticed that something in the latest Insider Preview has broken Kega Fusion. The emulator still works but for some reason it force Kega to run in compatibleGFX mode this can be seen in the .ini file but also when you hit video in the menu there will be much less settings and it will basically force you to display in 800x600 which will play havoc with LaunchBox upon exiting the emulator to stop this I have LaunchBox set up to minimize when games are launched and come back when the emulator is exited but I would prefer not to do so since it isn't very clean and LaunchBox closes showing my next open Window before starting the game. I don't know what in Windows is causing this and it is very frustrating. I've experience it on about 5 different computers now so I know it isn't just one of the computers that has an issue with it. On other news I've been in contact with the dev. of KAT5200 and asked if there was any chance that we may someday see an update to it. He replied and said he was thinking about and that it could be possible by the end of the year but truthfully he didn't at all make any type of promises. He went on to say that it doesn't handle higher resolutions well and that it has issues on multiple screen systems which he added weren't really something he planned for back when he developed it. He also stated that hearing from me and knowing that people were still interested in using it helps in motivating him. If anyone else who uses it may want to hit him up and let him know that there is still an interest in using his emulator here is a link to his contact page.

Derek, I had so many irritating little problems with Windows 10 that I had to go back to Windows 8, which has always worked fine for me. I know that's probably not very helpful, and don't want to turn this into a battle of the Windows thread, but I feel your pain. Win 10 was just more trouble than it was worth to me.

Yeah this isn't my first issue with Windows 10 but it is my 1st emulator related one. It isn't bad enough to make me revert back though for the most part Windows 10 is great I was a fan of 8/8.1 myself but think that 10 is better also I am on the fast ring of the Insider Preview so when issues arise with beta software it is to be expected.

It's probably because Kega is not being worked on like Derek said. There's really nothing that can be done about it unless someone develops it further. I mean, it was made before Windows 8 was even announced. This is a really good reason to switch over to Retro Arch. I did a Sega Tutorial Episode, but I think you knew that. On the W10 note, I've actually not had any problems with it at all. I don't know if that just makes me lucky or what... but I love W10.

Brad are you in the insider program? I've had two tablets that didn't have any WiFi until the next build came out at one point (thank god I have USB Ethernet adapters laying around or updating them would have been impossible). I've also had issues with a few emulators where the controller config wasn't working with my XBox 360 controller anymore Kega happens to be one of those I believe SNES9x needed X-Padder also. I really hate to leave Kega Fusion behind it has always been a great emulator but it may be time to switch to something else.

I feel you there since last nights update to build 14271 my bedroom PC is acting crazy when I try to restart the screen goes black and nothing happens when I shut it down and restart it I can't open Firefox and Chrome opens as a blank page I don't know what is going on but it has basically made that machine unusable but the kitchen PC is working great on the same build It is really baffling.

Remember those two gigantic layoff's Microsoft did? They did away with high level developers and QA. The user base is their QA now. And the fucked up part is that if you're in the insider program you don't even really need to manually reply back, though obviously that's good too, but they should know what happens as long as you're connected to the internet. I don't mean this as in "Microsoft is spying on you", I don't think that at all. I have the box checked to send back usage info and errors, crashes etc. But every user is a QA tester. On one hand, this makes sense. Major bugs usually aren't caught until several million people are using it, but on the other hand little shit is getting through too now, so... I don't know. I'm gonna go stream though instead of think about Microsoft. xD

I had to do a clean install in order to fix my computer and when I did it installed the Home version over top of my Pro version. I'm guessing maybe based on the BIOS from the computer which originally ran Home but I had since updated to Pro. I don't know but now I'm a little peeved because I got jacked for my Pro version and I already miss my remote desktop Frown