LaunchBox Community Forums

Simply Austin Cemu video

DOS76

Turns out I'm going to have to wait a few days still (I should really watch the whole video before posting) I was going to donate to get early access but didn't care for the recurring donations every month I was willing to help out but I'm not coughing up $60 a year to help out that is a little excessive if you ask me.

Between wanting money and the fact that I guarantee these emulators still suck right now (3DS, PS3, 360, Wii U) I am just not currently interested. Much more interested in Saturn, N64, PS1, Dreamcast and up getting worked on. Obviously these devs can work on what they want, I'm not saying they can't, but we're years out on it being playable and everyone will need a seriously better PC.

DOS76 said Did you watch the video this looks playable to me right now.
How many games did they show and how many scenes did they show of each game? How powerful is their PC to just brute force their way in? It's not live video, it's edited it could be trickery. I'm not saying these devs would do that, but unless emulation technology has seriously advanced without me knowing about it or they're geniuses. I also know that this is Austin's video and not the dev's video but I mean the above in a cursory way. So in this video Austin says this is far off and he still has a lot to do, and even if he didn't say that it was running slow I could see it is running very poorly. I wonder if this is the only game though? The dev could have just worked for 6 months to make this one game playable. Austin said this is 100% but this is far from what I would call 100%. PCSX2 was doing this stuff early on too, they focused on 1 game and got it up and running but it was still shitty. I like Austin, but I think he's just excited which there is nothing wrong with. I am excited too actually, this is awesome! I truly do believe that, but it will take a lot of time for these systems to be emulated properly. PCSX2 is still not done for example, and it is certainly less complicated internally than a Wii U or PS3. The PS4 and Xbox One I actually think will get emulated rather quickly in comparison to the rest just on the merits of it being x86 architecture, except that these require Internet to function so I think that will be the major road block. Day 1 patches and connecting to publisher servers. It takes a lot more than just getting the game to run for it to be considered complete. The Wii suffers from this right now because a lot of stuff is predicated on Motion Controls and those Dolphin Bars only work to an extent. I am just always skeptical when it comes to this stuff because people suck, ESPECIALLY if he's asking money so that users can use it. Even if it works 70% of the time, that is still super fishy to me. It will certainly be interesting to watch this develop. I also want to mention my current trepidation has to do with the emulator and dev, not Austin.

He says it is running slow while recording but that it runs fine otherwise. He says that it isn't perfect and I don't expect it to be. I didn't see any other videos other than his and he says that it is playable so I don't think that he would be trying to misuse his subscribers. It shows him playing two games and I've seen other videos from last fall that showed Mario Kart running, he goes on to say that only one of his games won't boot but that every thing else that he has (which he doesn't say how many games that is) runs although some with graphical glitches but he says the more popular Nintendo titles work good. Next week when that version becomes available to the public I'm going to try it for myself regardless and then we will see if you need to brute force it or not. My i5 6500 and GTX GEForce 750 TI isn't spectacular hardware so that should give some idea if it will run on half decent hardware or not. It seems like the devs on this one are moving at an accelerated pace with this emu and I doubt that it will be years before it is working good enough to play. I totally understand about the cash part the moment I saw you had to donate on a monthly basis it was a deal breaker for me Either way I'm excited to give it a go next week.

No don't get me wrong, this is still awesome and I am not saying anything bad about Austin but Playable and 100% are two different things. When the frame rate drops that low then it's not playable. PCSX2 still has problems with games too and that is years old now. I just don't think it's going to be as smooth going forward as the devs might want people to believe. If it is, then please let me be wrong because this is cool, but I just doubt it. Hardware acceleration isn't (which is why the GPU is no help right now), controller support isn't in etc. I also wonder what they're going to do with the Gamepad, that is essential for some games too. Like I said it's not just can a game run and run at a decent frame rate, it's the entire package and then some. I also know you know whats up Derek, I am mostly saying this for the benefit of users who casually are in to emulation or who are just starting. I mean look at the Original Xbox, look how little that progress has been and it's been years! Not to mention it's x86 too. I just want people to have tempered expectations.

I don't care about emulating current systems at all but I find it a bit odd that there's a few fake videos of this emulator floating about. I think Austin should film the screen with a phone or camera if he says it runs faster. I don't believe a lot of people on YouTube, they're in it for the money, not the love.

From what I've seen of Simply Austin's videos I don't believe this is the case. Same as if you said that Brad was just in it for the money and not the love of retro gaming (or just gaming in general along with that you can tell he enjoys creating his content) that would just be ridiculous, so while yeah there may be people on YouTube and every where else in the world for that matter that. I think your off your mark in this case.

LunchBox said You didn't even watch the video before you posted it. Austin has his Patreon page, too. Also "you're". Pet peeve.
Making money off of something and loving it are not exclusive. I get paid for what I do and I really love what I do. I am able to do this BECAUSE I get paid. I have a Patreon myself (though no one gives a shit) and what I do here is literally my job. I love it so much that I made it my job, not it's my job now I love it or any other devious aspect. I personally don't think Austin is at all trying to deceive us. Since the emulator doesn't have hardware acceleration right now and only uses the CPU, screen capturing can make it lag as that also almost exclusively uses the CPU. So there is merit here. I do respect your opinion on this, every single person is entitled to have one. However, I take offense to the notion that being paid to do something means I can't love it or that I or any one else is scamming people to pay us for something that we could give two shits about. I do love this line of work dearly and I do appreciate the fact that I can get paid to do it.

I didn't watch the whole video before i posted i had to run somewhere so I stopped it posted and ran my errands. I didn't know that he has patreon page as I've never heard him mention it ever in any of his videos which I have found to be very helpful in setting up a few things that I couldn't get working on my own.I also never said it was my pet peeve just that $60 a year was a lot of money to pay to test an emulator a week early. if a $20 donation would have got me in I'd be testing it out right now. It also doesn't really change my opinion I think that the guy enjoys what he does and it isn't all about the money.

This emulator is legit, and so is Austin. Having said that, it is early days for the emulator and still needs a lot of work. Games are gonna be glitchy and certain games are gonna run better than others. There is a big difference in one or two games running really well and running 100% and most games running well. Like Brad said about the Playstation 2 emulator, while it is really good it's an absolute mess of an emulator. Look at Super Nintendo emulation as an example. While it has been very good for a long time it's only recently that we got 100% emulation with bSnes / Higan. Some people are perfectly fine with zSnes but the honest truth it is a very bad emulator even though it runs really well on lower end systems and plays the popular games just fine. Don't get all hung up on emulators that are new and not really out yet for public consumption. Be patient and it will eventually come. The thing about emulators is this. It's not an easy thing to do, it takes the right person with the right skill set and knowledge and the desire to program them. We have seen some really great emulators come out in recent years that are very good at what they do and are developed quite quickly. Look at PPSSPP and Dolphin for example and while they are both excellent they both have a long ways to go to be considered close to perfect.

I don’t know if you know the YouTube channel JohnGoodGames: https://www.youtube.com/user/pcmaker2 He uploads gameplay videos of the new emulators with their most recent builds nearly every day. But you have to check on each video in the video description if it’s realtime footage or not. Especially the videos for the original Xbox are all accelerated because the games run on 2-3 fps. Sure none of the emulators could be considered as playable because all of them are still early alpha versions. BUT if you consider that some of them are not even a year old it’s pretty amazing how fast they come to this state. Especially the PS3 emulator got a huge boost in development after they changed their graphical engine to DirectX 12.

CriticalCid said I don’t know if you know the YouTube channel JohnGoodGames: https://www.youtube.com/user/pcmaker2 He uploads gameplay videos of the new emulators with their most recent builds nearly every day. But you have to check on each video in the video description if it’s realtime footage or not. Especially the videos for the original Xbox are all accelerated because the games run on 2-3 fps. Sure none of the emulators could be considered as playable because all of them are still early alpha versions. BUT if you consider that some of them are not even a year old it’s pretty amazing how fast they come to this state. Especially the PS3 emulator got a huge boost in development after they changed their graphical engine to DirectX 12.
Yea DirectX 12 is a huge boon to Emulators right now. From conception to play-ability it is really fast and awesome. As the consoles get more complicated though, even with the advances with software and coding, I still wouldn't be surprised if they take years.

Ok I have Cemu up and running and it is running pretty good for me it runs with the CPU at around 50% I've only test 2 games and currently they are running over my network and not installed locally on my computer so while there has been a few slow downs they are mostly running at a good speed. It is a little more complicated then just getting the games and running them though you need to know the WiiU common key and each game key here is a link to a google spreadsheet page that has a list of the game keys and another to a reddit page that has the common key and a little info to get you started. I'm testing currently on my i7 4770. Another cool thing was that if it asks you to type anything the emulator recognizes the key presses from your keyboard for entering names and such.

I have it launching through LaunchBox but can't get it to start fullscreen neither -fullscreen or --fullscreen work. I don't even know if it supports command line or not at this point. Super Mario 3d looks like a cool ass game though.