LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch 1.3.2 won't load the mess core

DOS76

I saw a video on how people were getting MESS to run in RA so I decided to try and I set it up like they described only to have the core refuse to load anyone know what I'm doing wrong or maybe the core doesn't work in this version.

Drivers? I also saw some one running Atari 5200 through MAME in RA but it was an Android video so one of the MAME cores must be new enough to pull it off I created a MESS folder in the system folder like I was told I got the MAME hash file and put it in that folder then I took a copy of the 5200 BIOS and zipped it up and put it in a file I named ROMs. The problem is that the core won't even load every time I try it says No Core.

I meant BIOS files. xD In this case, if someone wants to play with MESS I say use the official releases. In reality, I haven't successfully gotten any of that to work, in or out of RA. I've done everything "properly" too. Acquired MESS specific BIOS files and set it up correctly. Some times I get a black screen in RA, nothing happens in RA or nothing happens in standalone.

Black screen doesn't mean anything really. Sometimes It usually means there is a BIOS issue. It also black screened then shut down right away. I sincerely have no clue why MESS is a literal MESS. RA achieves multiple platform emulation all under 1 roof, and while a bit obscure, works really well.

I was playing with this a little earlier
Spoiler
BlueStacksRA.JPG
Bluestacks2 running Stella Core of RA only issue is you would need some kind of mapper software in order to use a gamepad plus its mega redundant just was bored and wanted to see if I could get it running. I love how once you know how to setup RA you can set it up the same way on every device. I read they are going to port it to Windows Phone which I hope translates into Windows Mobile 10 I'd love to turn my actual phone with service into a portable gaming device instead of using older phones with no service.

I wouldn't use RA to run anything Mame/Mess related. RA is great for consoles, but nothing replaces the real thing, which is always updated (and the latest are getting so many cool things).The latest Mame has a lot of awesome improvements and the hlsl looks pretty sweet across the board as well. I'm working on a super easy way to get Mess into LaunchBox as pain free as possible (as a module for my Mame importer). The command lines will be set automatically and per game basis. You will select what systems you want to add, point to your artwork folder and it will get everything set for you + all necessary metadata. It's in progress...

I wouldn't use RA to run anything Mame/Mess related.
I could appreciate that, but the truth is that for most of the systems I'd use MESS for, I'd hardly ever really play the games. Plus, I'm a couch potato essentially trying to turn my PC into a retrogaming keyboardless console. Historically I could never afford a decent gaming PC, and so I play most big new titles on console anyway. RA has the easiest controller support (automatic), and its just simpler to use for me at this point. With MAME occasionally I have to rebind my controllers. With RA, never. And don't sleep on the shaders and ease of integration with RetroAchievements. Having said all of that, now that MAME has integrated MESS, I'm looking into using it, as you're right, it's a much better emulator than the MAME core. I just can't figure out how to exit the emulator completely with a controller. Speaking of integration, MESS is done, you know? No more updated. It's all in MAME now.

I got Atari 5200 running through the MAME core in RA here is a video that shows you what your folder structure has to be like it is an example shown in Android but by following it you will have success. Basically though you create a folder called MAME in your system folder then you set the structure up like this System\MAME\ROMs\a5200 inside the a5200 you need the 5200.rom file zipped and named a5200.zip so once you zip the file you have to rename it. Also in the MAME folder you will need the hash folder you can download it here you need to download the mame0172s.zip once you download the file you can use winrar to look inside of the archive just find the hash file and unzip it then move it to your MAME folder. You will have to rename the roms to what MAME is looking for so you need to open the hash files and view the a5200.xml (or whatever system you are trying to run).

It would be nice to use this but KAT5200 is just better than MAME core at emulating the 5200. Glad I gave it a go though and now I know how to set up MESS capabilities through the MAME core in RA. It will at least come in handy on Android.

DOS, how do you get the roms to show up in RA? I just get No Items. That video confused me, but I'm pretty sure I got it right based on your directions, but the MAME core I guess doesn't support BIN so I can't actually try and launch the game. Also, are you saying I need to rename my games based on that busted MESS naming convention? Cause that's a deal breaker. Damn. So close. I actually got a blackscreen by renaming the game, hahaha. But that blows. I'm certainly not renaming my beautiful no intro sets for the pleasure of using the RA mame core for MESS systems.

Update: Success! Unable to get the new MAME core to work without changing the name of my roms, I set out to get the old MESS core working in the newest RA. It works. Caveat: I could only get it to work through Rocketlauncher. I don't know why. Maybe it's because RL allows you to set the path right to the bios files. Or something in the RA module. At any rate, it works, and for more than just Atari. So, with the newest RA stable version The Mess core titled "MESS 2015 GIT" *When opened in RA. The actual filename is just mess_libretro A copy of some old mess bios roms Launching through Rocketlauncher The Mess core will launch just fine and without having to change any game names. For the record, the bios pack I have is in RA/system/mess (But I also had to point RL there in the module options). I am NOT using any version of hash files in the system/mess folder or otherwise. Just an FYI. This become sort of an obsession for me this weekend. Its not very practical as the MESS core is no longer updated, but it does work.