LaunchBox Community Forums

Thank You Button

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. The text from the thank you message is based on bad grammatical translation in some games it doesn't poke fun of Asian people in general but at the translations from the games. People have become to over sensitive to matters of race and political correctness. It is a small harmless joke.

You raise a good point, @portachking. I most often don't even think about video game mistranslations from a racial perspective, but I imagine some people could be offended by it. @DOS76, you're very right, the over-sensitivity is getting ridiculous. That said, I'm not out to offend anyone, and especially not racially. So, sigh, I'll have to take it down.

Jason, I really hope I haven't upset you or anyone. I don't think in an oversensitive person, but the text rubbed me wrong. What else can I say? I really like the idea of a videogame themed thank you. Rather than look at this as an experience you need to remove something, perhaps it's be better to see it as an opportunity to improve it!

No offense taken, @portachking, I appreciate you keeping me in check, as I do not want to be blindly offending people when that was not at all the intent. Yeah, I replaced it with what we had just so I could replace it quickly. I'm very much up for ideas! :)

• 2 weeks later...
bd000 said This thread just made me think of that, thought it was funny. @hippyshake had some good ideas, maybe he could pipe up.
I appreciate that, but those were the height of my creativity. lol (Sorry for the late reply...money's been tight lately and I forgot to pay the ISP bill, then couldn't for a while. ) This is not a knock against portachking because I can certainly see his viewpoint, but the "all-inclusiveness" thing has gotten a bit out of control, in my opinion. I actually had to scrap a sermon recently that was about the different facets of God as "God the Father,*" because (I was told) not everyone grew up with a father and so they might be offended and wouldn't know what I was talking about. Yet, we constantly refer to him in Worship Services and prayer as "God the Father" (and the entire point of the sermon was to define him for everyone in the same way). For my part in the Asian translation debacle (because I did suggest some of them), it's never been about being insensitive. The poor translations I quoted were never about making fun of people (nor would I ever find someone actually struggling with the language as humorous); rather, they were about poor quality control of a marketed product. I find them to be kind of funny in the same way I find this or this to be kind of funny: They're just honest mistakes that should have been caught before being sold. With the video game references, it's also that the collector and geek in me loves the history behind them, and makes me squee a little with joy at how innocent the medium was back then. All of that being said, however, I'm adding a "Thank You" to portaching's original post, because I can definitely see where some people might find this kind of thing offensive and stereotyping. In that case, motive doesn't matter, so it's something I should be aware of. In all sincerity, I say: Thank you for opening my eyes a little wider. Oh, and one more, because it's my favorite: this. XD (*How he loves us, guides us, and disciplines us)

Glad you're back, @Hippyshake. You were missed. :) I still love @bd00's suggestion, but the forums software has some irritating limitations, and I can't get it implemented well. It automatically adds spaces around the user's name, and there's no way to get rid of the colon. So, hmm. :/