LaunchBox Community Forums
dillonm

Import from Gamebase?

Hi there - I've been a big user of Gamebase for years now. Its the main staple front-end for all of the really old and obscure retro systems. And I know there are tons of people out there with huge Gamebase collections. But the front-end is really looking its age now. I'm just wondering if there is any possibility of exporting all the database entries, game art, screenshots and extras into Launchbox?

Ah, yes; this is what you meant by gamebase. Sorry for that. I have this on my list, but unfortunately since it has only been requested by one person, it is not a high priority.

Jason Carr said Ah, yes; this is what you meant by gamebase. Sorry for that. I have this on my list, but unfortunately since it has only been requested by one person, it is not a high priority.
Actually, there are many people who use gamebases and would be really happy to be able to import those old games. They are simply not quite aware of Launchbox being able to do it yet. This would be wonderful. A great feature I am looking forward to.

Jason Carr said Sure, yup. Working to add stuff as quickly as possible. :)
I also want you to let you know that retroarch does not work well with those platforms; even though it seems to support Amiga, for example, it does not work as supoosed to. Will you be able to implement this feature by the end of this year?

Ah, sure. I haven't tested all the platforms lately with Retroarch. Probably need to review them. I know some of them are very complicated to set up due to very finicky and specific BIOS requirements. Again, unfortunately I cannot make any promises timeline-wise.

Jason Carr said Ah, sure. I haven't tested all the platforms lately with Retroarch. Probably need to review them. I know some of them are very complicated to set up due to very finicky and specific BIOS requirements. Again, unfortunately I cannot make any promises timeline-wise.
I will definately let people know as soon as you are able to implement it into Launchbox - the best mulitplatform launcher such as Lauchbox should be able to support those common and popular platforms as soon as possible. BTW, Amiga does not work with Retroarch. The core is not pretty functional. Other gamebases like Atari, Nintendo, Commodore etc. are not even supported. I'm not sure, but many of them are not. Many classic games, which sometimes seem to appear on other platforms or versions - like DOS.

Jason Carr said Thanks, @sylandro. Looks like I do need to boost this up on my list.
GameBase supports quite a few platforms, indeed. Thousands of retro games, actually. Is there any better source than GameBase to be able to import all those titles? I am not sure. There are specific websites like Atarimania or Lemon Amiga/C64 etc., from which the data was probably imported and collected into GameBase, but each site mostly supports only one platfom. I am not sure if Launchbox could import data from all those sites. Another thing is the emulation of those roms within Launchbox.

Can someone give me a crash course in Gamebase? I'd like to figure out how to download a system and view the data, but I can't seem to get it to load up a database.

Jason Carr said Can someone give me a crash course in Gamebase? I'd like to figure out how to download a system and view the data, but I can't seem to get it to load up a database.
Hi Jason, Here is a link to Amiga database and illustrated setup guide. http://gbamiga.elowar.com/files/ Adding other platforms or games into this build is a matter of extracting files into proper folders and setting appropiate paths to them. Of course, you need proper emulators for other platforms. There are other huge ready to go databases to download (PS, Atari or C64 etc.) You can easily merge them with this one by extracting files into proper folders and setting paths (possibly configuring emulators according to your likes). You need an alphabetical folder structure included into this build. One good thing about this build is that they contain ready GEMUS scripts (for instance, a script to automatically swap discs etc.).

Jason Carr said Thanks, @wirtual82; I'll give it a shot. :)
If you have any questions, I wiil be glad to help. BTW, the databases (info about games); mdb files can be exported to text files. The rest of the files are loose on the hard drive - zips with adfs etc., images, covers, screenshots, music (formats recognized by deliplayer) and so on. It would be nice if Launchbox could import those files (from the hard drive) into one game title, wouldn't it? I also found DOS and PSP databases (quite large). Launchbox has still one problem, especially with importing Amiga games. Namely, each disc is treated as one seperate game.

What I'd ultimately like to see is just to *include* the metadata for most systems with LaunchBox, so that it automatically recognizes anything you can throw at it and automatically has the metadata for it locally. We're a ways off from that, but that's the direction I'd ultimately like to take. Of course we can't really include images that way, though.

Jason Carr said What I'd ultimately like to see is just to *include* the metadata for most systems with LaunchBox, so that it automatically recognizes anything you can throw at it and automatically has the metadata for it locally. We're a ways off from that, but that's the direction I'd ultimately like to take. Of course we can't really include images that way, though.
If not Gamebase data for the old retro games, maybe the websites this whole metadata is basically based on? There are websites that contain most of this metadata for every retro platform. I feel that Amiga has especially a poor support in Launchbox. Gamebase is perfect for it, though.

Any system or Region is poor based on the websites we use. However, MobyGames should be coming and has A LOT more. Add GiantBomb on top of the other sites we have and we should be able to cover most games, hopefully.