LaunchBox Community Forums

Grid view on big box?

sagaopc

My bad I'm not trying to be a dick or anything I just don't see why you would want BigBox in grid view I feel like it would be like using LaunchBox. I voted for BigBox and I find it to be very attractive looking but I always find myself using LaunchBox (on the couch, in bed or at the kitchen table) because I find it to be more usable. Yeah if I have people over and want to show off my setup I'll show them BigBox. I have been using double B a little more lately though because after adding the videos from EmuMovies it really pops. Again I apologize I wasn't trying to be an asshole.

Neither Big Box or LaunchBox are done growing and developing and indeed they can learn from each other. That said, some things work on one that don't work on the other. Even so, there will be a lot of experimentation, a lot of lofty goals and ambitions that Jason and myself have. We never entirely rule anything out. We can at least test it, gauge user interest and of course see how it fits in to everything else. Big Box was made with one thing in mind and that is your TV. The reason why there is no Grid view has a little bit to do with LaunchBox, it kind of has that covered. We kind of saw that LaunchBox in the way it is setup can translate to a TV but there is a better way to do it. In the same way that Big Box can work on a computer right in front of you but LaunchBox works better with a mouse and keyboard. The way BigBox is designed is not around a Grid View system, which is not to say it will never happen but is to say that they both compliment each other. Let's keep in mind that Jason is the only coder and an entirely new way to view things when you already have two sides of a product that compliment each other the way LaunchBox and BigBox do it would be... not wasted time, but time spent else where to make BigBox have more feature parody to LaunchBox. LB always had the opportunity to be controlled with a controller, but it shines with a mouse and keyboard. BB can be controlled with a keyboard, but shines with a controller. Shoehorning the opposite of what each of these pieces of software do defeats the purpose of one another and they're already super competent.

DOS: Don't beat yourself up too hard about it, man. You weren't in Asshole Country yet. Mainly the thing that a grid view would offer Big Box is expediency. I, like DOS, find myself using LaunchBox more because it's much simpler to navigate. In Big Box I have a list, and I have to pick through the list one item at a time. It's a pain, particularly for large collections. A grid view (which is already partially implemented on the front page of BB... literally just expand that to have more columns and rows and we're in business) would allow users the benefits of both an easy and intuitive browsing experience with the style offered only by Big Box.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...