LaunchBox Community Forums

Refresh roms folder

Rehab

Hi all, First of all: Thanks for the great frontend! I just purchased the premium version and I love the Bigbox mode. I have my pc setup to my TV and it's great. However, coming from Kodi/XBMC with the advancedlauncher plugin, I am seriously missing an option to rescan my roms folder. Especially for my windows games, I often add a new game and I like to re-scan the games and add/delete any changes automatically, preferably on startup. Is this currently possible in the frontend? What's the current best solution? Manually add the folder again and re-scan all games and/or add the game location/shortcut manually? Thanks and sorry if this has been asked before.

How I do this essentially is I will setup my library, like Nintendo DS. If I add a game to my rom list and want to add it to LB I just rescan my Nintendo DS games folder. It will not add any duplicates unless you tell it to, and it will think games are duplicates based on their file name not the name you give them in LB. So if you rename a game in LB and rescan it won't try and re-add it. When adding games, I prefer to 'Add Files' instead of 'Add Folder'. This let's me make sure I am adding all the correct games. For emulators that load several different file extensions this is great. I use the "Search Windows" function in the top right when I am looking at a rom list. For SNES I do *.sfc in the search box and then Ctrl + A for all of the items it finds then press add. I would then repeat the search for *.smc, etc. It's also handy for disc based systems. If a game has an iso and a cue sheet, depending on the emulator, you only need one of these.

Thanks for the quick reply.
SentaiBrad said How I do this essentially is I will setup my library, like Nintendo DS. If I add a game to my rom list and want to add it to LB I just rescan my Nintendo DS games folder.
So you re-do the whole "import games"-routine again?

Well you can do Game -> Add Game (Ctrl + N) but this would only be one game at a time, and you have to manually setup all the information where as the import process will setup most of the information you need based on the system you select. So it's faster for me to do the rom import again even if it is just 1 game, but it's really essentially if you have multiple games to add.

Well LaunchBox is meant to be portable, not that it can't be with a method closer to Kodi. I personally don't mind the way its setup now. LB is its own product. Not to mention, this isn't really all that hard to do honestly and it works just fine. The bigger feature for me that would require LB being more "self aware" of its library on the OS side would be deleting a game in LB and being given the choice to delete the rom / folder.

SentaiBrad said The bigger feature for me that would require LB being more "self aware" of its library on the OS side would be deleting a game in LB and being given the choice to delete the rom / folder.
Agreed. To me that is the same thing. So I'd like LB to detect when a game has been added or deleted from the rom folder and then syncs its own database either with or without a prompt. Edit: aaaah sry I misread that. You mean the other way around.

Hi @Rehab, thanks for the feedback. We just recently added custom folders settings for all platforms, including where games are stored. I agree, we should add a function to find new games in the platform folder. It probably won't ever be as quick and easy as Kodi, because there's a bit more involved, but I do think it's worth doing. It's on my list. :)

• 6 months later...
Jason Carr said Hi @Rehab, thanks for the feedback. We just recently added custom folders settings for all platforms, including where games are stored. I agree, we should add a function to find new games in the platform folder. It probably won't ever be as quick and easy as Kodi, because there's a bit more involved, but I do think it's worth doing. It's on my list. :)
I just got this "problem" myself and wondered if it's something that's far from completion?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/16/2016 at 0:46 PM, Jason Carr said:

This is not far off at this point. I have plans to integrate this soon. :)

This is great news.  I just got on Launch Box after being to afraid to ever try hyperspin and this was the only feature that I felt it was missing to be completely perfect for me!

• 1 month later...

Hello!  Just wondering if this feature is still in the works or not?

I just added a few more PS2 games and want to add them to my existing set in Launchbox.  Would be really nice to at least have to click only one button to RESCAN/REFRESH the existing FOLDER I added previously...

Thank you.

- Brett