LaunchBox Community Forums

Thank you! (and a few feature requests)

Zombeaver

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perfect! Thanks! So far I've gotten the following to work on the Link through BigBox: Commodore 64 (CCS64) NES (Retroarch / Bnes Core) SNES (Retroarch / SNES9x Core) N64 (Retroarch / Mupen64 Core) Gamecube (Dolphin) Wii (Dolphin) Genesis (Retroarch / Genesis Plus GX Core) Sega CD (Retroarch / Genesis Plus GX Core) Sega Dreamcast (Demul; and nullDC to some extent but Demul is far superior anyway) Playstation (Retroarch / Mednafen Core; ePSXe works as well) Playstation 2 (PCSX2) GBA (Retroarch / VBA Next Core) PSP (PPSSPP; Retroarch has a PPSSPP core but I've found it's a little buggier and performance isn't quite as good as standalone PPSSPP which works fine over Link anyway) CPS1 (Retroarch / FBA Core) CPS2 (Retroarch / FBA Core) Neo Geo (Retroarch / FBA Core) (other) Arcade (Retroarch / MAME Core) Sega Saturn is about the only thing giving me much trouble. SSF is the only Saturn emulator worth a crap (Yabause is a joke) and while it works fine on my host PC, it seems to cause issues for the Link which I've yet to resolve. Just setting it up to run properly on the host through LaunchBox was a bit of a task in and of itself - SSF doesn't actually load ISOs directly like many other emulators, it has to actually read either a physical disc or a mounted one in a virtual drive so you have to setup LaunchBox to not "use an emulator" so that launching the game in LB/BB will actually mount the disc, and then add in an additional application directed to SSF and tell it to "automatically run after the main application". So you launch the game -> disc mount process starts -> disc mount completes -> SSF launches and boom you're up and running :D The Link doesn't seem to like it though... And because you're not "using an emulator" in LB like normal and doing it through "additional apps" you don't have access to some of the normal features that you would have access to in LB like auto-hiding log windows and AutoHotkey scripts. Would it be possible for those to be added into the "additional apps" options? I think the Link's issue with SSF may also be focus related (because a little message pops up from Daemon Tools when you mount the disc) so I was hoping to try out the WinWait+WinActivate script for this but it's not available for an "additional app". Sorry, I didn't actually intend for this rant to turn into another request :(

For SSF I use the additional app method to have Daemon Tools Lite mount the disk before and to unmount after which means you have to make two additional apps I already set them up on one system 256 games worth I want to add Saturn to my LB setup on my kitchen PC and I am not looking forward to putting in all that work again. Mount = -mount dt, 0, "Directory Path to game" Unmount = -unmount_all

You don't really need to do one for the unmount unless having a mounted disc really bothers you for some reason. If you have a mounted disc and then want to launch a different game it just replaces the mounted disc (assuming you're using Daemon Tools). I have each game's rom path directed to the cue file for that game and uncheck "use an emulator". Then under additional apps you just direct it to SSF and tell it to "launch automatically after main application". Launching the game mounts the disc and then launches SSF once complete. If you launch another game setup like this, it mounts the new disc and launches SSF with that disc. All that said, there might be some streamlining that could take place here, although it's a pretty one-off situation. The vast majority of other emulators out there allow direct loading of a disc image. SSF is actually the only one where I have to do this workaround. Yabause is such a piece of junk though that it's currently a necessary evil :(

@zombeaver I just tried your method for Launching Sega Saturn games and I have to say it is simpler than setting it up the other way. Thanks for this. The only thing I use Yabause for is to Play Clockwork Knights 2 since for some reason it doesn't play past the game option screen in SSF

Jason is there anyway that this could be added to Launchbox that if you want to use SSF it would set it up to run with no emulator but then run an additional app to to use the emulator after mounting the disk say when you go to manage emulators and click add then while in the process of adding the emulator when you type SFF as the name of the emulator it grays out the emulator path text box and adds a set up SSF as an additional apps path text box thus setting SSF to run after mounting the disk which simply clicking on it will do. Of course there would need to be a disclaimer that you will need Daemon Tools or another disk mounting program excluding Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 built in disc mounting (which I wish SSF would recognize but it doesn't) I am not sure actually what other disk mounting programs work with SFF as I have only ever used Daemon Tools

Glad to help @DOS76! It's strange about Clockwork Knight 2 though - I've got that one running fine in SSF. I do have that problem with Three Dirty Dwarves though. In fact, I can't really get anywhere with that one - in SSF I'm basically stuck on the main menu - you can move up and down but not actually start the game. With Yabause it gets passed the menu and to the loading part, acts like it completes the load, but then just sits there on a black screen forever... I'm using version 0.10 Alpha R1 on SSF and whatever the latest stable is for Yabause. I've tried SSF version 0.12 beta R4 as well but it seemed to break some games and the additional settings that are added in are extremely obtuse... I swear there are like 4 different check boxes that say something along the lines of "Full Screen" in that version's video settings. I have no idea what they were trying to convey with those but I think something was lost in the translation for sure... (dev for SSF is Japanese). I mean seriously... look at this: SSF-v0.12.png

Yeah I use 0.12_beta_R4 version so I've dealt with that form on more than one occasion. I will have to try using the version you are using on some of the games I have that don't work. I agree that the video settings are a little convoluted but I have it set up the way I like after a little tinkering. I'd love to see an update adding Windows file explorer built in disc mounting added that or even more preferably just straight up mounting from with in the program like all the other disc based emulators have.

I figured out what the issue was with Three Dirty Dwarves. It's the first instance that I've run into where you MUST use the bios in order for it to work. I ordinarily have SSF setup to not use it and in most cases it's fine. I just made a copy of my SSF folder and saved the config in that folder to use the Bios and then directed the SSF reference in LB to that version for launching. Also, completely inexplicably but apparently by design...you have to hold Start+C to actually start the game from the main menu (whoever the hell decided that should have been slapped).

No that works fine but it is labor intensive @Zombeaver has his set up to run with no emulator and then he runs SSF as the additional app which is easier to set up and requires nothing to be placed in the command line text box unlike if you use Daemon Tools. I was wondering if it could be automated to make SSF almost effortless to use with LaunchBox

To elaborate I am asking if Launchbox could set a global additional app for all games in the platform using no emulator but just running SSF as the additional app. I've included the additional app settings image. Even if a check box could be added that would say use emulator as additional app that would work or if when typing in SSF this was automatically added. I don't know how many people emulate the Saturn but this would enable LaunchBox to handle it automatically without any work or hassle on the user side thus improving the ease of using LaunchBox. SSf-As_AdditionalApp.PNG

Jason Carr said @DOS76, it should work as-is to auto-mount a disc with Daemon Tools as an additional app before running the emulator, assuming you check the box to automatically run the daemon tools command before launching the game. Or I could be misunderstanding something... ;)

Unless I'm misunderstanding, I think this is basically six to one half-dozen... which is fine. This is how I've got mine setup: SSF-Setup-1.pngSSF-Setup-2.pngSSF-Setup-3.png

Doing it this way will mount the disc and then launch the emulator (setup as an additional app) once complete.

The only difference is if you go the DT Additonal App route you need it to look like this DTLite_AdditionalApp.PNG With DT you have to add the command parameters for DT and the path for every individual game which is where the labor part comes in so it really isn't the same thing at all and having a global additional app that would only needs a name and a path is much easier to implement than one that would need a name, two paths (one to DT and one to the games .cue) plus command parameters that's why I never asked for the global solution for the DT route. In my opinion the no emulator use SSF as an additional app is far better than the DT method. There is also the .bat method which mounts all my games and launches SSF but only a handful of games actually start for me using that method while so far both the DT and SSF additional apps work on all working games. My motivation to see this implemented is totally selfish since I have two more PC's that I'm trying to setup Saturn in LaunchBox and that leaves 256 games * 2 that need to have additional apps added to them.

@DOS76 Ah, I see, I'd never gone that route so I didn't realize it was that complex, I definitely like my way better haha. I think a very easy solution to this, one even easier than adding additional apps as a possible emulator, is to simply add in a delay function on the emulator - basically just adding in the "Automatically Run After Main Application" as a checkbox under manage emulators -> emulator details. If that were there you'd be set because then you just setup SSF as a normal emulator and then check the "after main application" button and it'd function like what I'm doing now. Basically you just need something that will make it so that Launchbox runs the cue/mds/whatever just as if you'd created a windows shortcut to it and then runs the emulator. Pictures! SSF-Delay.png

@Zombeaver I got Clockwork Knights 2 working using 0.10_Alpha_R1 but it takes forever to get anywhere do you experience this too. The game starts right up then you hit start and choose Part 2 then it is a long black screen there until the horse and the carrots show up then when you press start there it is another long black screen then they show the short movie then another black screen followed by a long loading screen then more black screen then the game finally starts. I'll have to time it when I get around to it tomorrow.

When the game starts there are three options Part 2, Bosses Galore and The Movies! if I choose Part 2 it takes forever to load the screen stays black for more than a minute then when I hit start it does so again and this repeats for every time I hit start all in all I would say it takes around 4-5 minutes before I can play the game. I'm guessing from your post that you are not experiencing this. I may have to try to find another .cue/.bin from another source and see if that fixes any of the issues.