LaunchBox Community Forums

Video Limitations/Criteria?

craiganderson

What folder are you placing the video in? I haven't setup any videos myself just yet, but my understanding is that the video file needs to be the same file name of the game you're playing or the same name that is displayed in Launch Box. I'm not at home, but I think there's supposed to be a video directory inside of each platform. You might also try a different format, I know emumovies has some .mp4s, but I would look into that if everything is named appropriately and already in the right spot.

I don't really see anything unusual about your video properties, unless 48khz as opposed to 44khz is a problem (which seems unlikely). My understanding is that LB/BB basically just hooks into whatever codecs you have installed in Windows, so if the video plays normally in Windows Media Player or whatever, it should work in BB. There's definitely no issue with mp4 format, I can say that for certain. Perhaps you could take a look at the properties of a similar Emumovies file? I only do their free 240p videos so I couldn't do a direct comparison to yours. The paid version has 480p videos though and I've not seen any reports of crashes from them here. I've downloaded a lot of MAME snaps (in mp4 format) from this channel which are 360p and they've all worked great. EDIT: I just downloaded one to test and noticed that it's at 44khz. Perhaps you could try recording at 44 and see if that makes a difference? If it does, this probably needs a bug report. Dodonpachi-Properties.jpg EDIT 2: I just checked a 240p video from EM and it's at 48khz so that's probably not the issue. Chrono-Trigger-Properties.jpg

44khz wont make a difference. If you got your video from YouTube this is just the setting they choose to use. There is virtually no difference between the two. I do this for a living and I've put one of my one video's in there before. 720p, 8k bit rate, 320kbps at 48khz, 30FPS in an mp4 container and they work. My only suggestion is to run K-Lite Codec Pack if you haven't before. You shouldn't need to change any settings unless you want to change the default media player, which is fine. If any error messages come up, let K-Lite take care of them.

Unfortunately this might be a difficult one to solve. Using the built-in Windows codecs has its advantages and disadvantages...one disadvantage is if your system is configured with a broken codec plugin, bad things can happen. My guess (it's hard to say for sure) is that there's a broken codec installed somehow or other. Yes, I would try installing a codec pack as Brad suggests. Do be careful about malware with them though; I'm not sure which ones are safe these days.

http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm This link and website are perfectly fine. I've used them for years with not so much as a fear of malware from them. The Standard pack should work just fine. http://codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_standard.htm Just click one of the mirrors. The way I keep my K-Lite updated, as well as most of my applications on my PC is by husing File Hippo App Manager. http://www.filehippo.com/download_app_manager That also makes things super easy, it never installs malware. Keep an eye on the downloads folder, it can get big pretty fast depending on what you're updating as it downloads everything to a folder. So just delete them after so long.