LaunchBox Community Forums

What Retroarch shaders do you use ?

Lordmonkus

I looked at the PPSSPP core a week or two ago and it seemed to be running good and has a lot of the core options in it that the standalone version has once you get all the assets folder options setup. Now I won't go so far as to say it runs 100% as good as the standalone but it's far from awful. The standalone is definitely the better choice but the RA core is not that far behind. It's alot closer to the standalone than the Yabause core that's for sure. Ghosts N' Goblins is locked at 30fps, but is running at 1920x1080 internal resolution.RetroArch-0222-193209.jpg

Locked at 30fps isn't a bad thing. I seriously have no clue why people freak out over it not being 60fps. It doesn't mean shit unless the gameplay suffers. Like a FPS game, obviously you want it to be as smooth and responsive as possible, but that doesn't mean anything. People are giving Xcom 2 crap for it's frame rate, but that game is amazing and the FPS does not matter in it. That is another thread though. ;) If the PPSSPP core is up and running as well as the standalone, then perfect. I do and test a lot, as much as I can, but I can't get everywhere. I read a few times that it wasn't as good, so that is what I went with. I still covered both in the PSP tutorial. :P

Yeah depending on the game type 30 vs 60 fps isn't a big deal, 60 is preferred but for slower paced games like rpgs its not a big deal as long as its a stable framerate. Faster paced games like first person shooters and action games 60 is better. Yeah testing everything and keeping up on everything is impossible, it's a full time job in itself. I just remember several weeks ago trying the PPSSPP core out and it was bad but after trying it again recently and getting the assets folder dropped in and setup it's really not far behind the standalone. Like I said, the standalone is still better overall but the RA core is very usable if someone was forced to be locked into it and had no option for the standalone. I wish the Yabause core was as good as the PPSSPP core, I hate SSF and the standalone Yabause. The Yabause core for shaders and no need for mounting cd images would be awesome.

I've used Lotte's shader in RA for a long time. I loved it but in fact, I've always thought it was too sharp, too clean. And others shaders are worse. They're good, but not like the memories I have of crt-monitors. Geom/hyllian/ctr-royale/Lotte are the best 4. Royale is good but i've never managed to get the clean image i want to. Cry Soooo, after long hours of setting, i've made mine, the one I like, with sweetFx. It's a combination of 4 shaders (chromatic aberration/advanced-crt/pixelart-crt/curves and a bit of custom-shader. It's a matter of taste, but i'm happy with it... for now Laugh The thing I like with sweetFx is that it's compatible with almost every openGL or directX application. I can use it on almost every emulator (ePSXe, PCSX2, Dolphin,...), not only in retroarch. And it's so easy to use...(just a copy/past in the folder, and done). ♥ ♥ I'm playing in native resolution (upscale to 720p with integer scale), on a 27" 1440p g-sync. Megaman X6 Super Mario 64 Chrono Trigger

Looks good even though it looks a little faded and fuzzy for my tastes but like I said in previous posts different shaders and effects look very different on different displays. Hyllian and Lottes shaders are amazingly good and Royale is great when it is tweaked and the display is calibrated properly. I use a modified Royale as shown in my previous post and love how it looks. Lots of great shader options out there to accommodate personal tastes. Are you using the older version of sweetfx or the newer version with ReShade ?

Yes, you're right. It depends a lot on the screen you use, it's color, its settings, its panel type, and so on. And personal tastes, of course. And sometimes, I adjust the settings for a particular game. Like i said, I don't like when it's too sharp, i don't like seeing square pixels. My memories of these games are not really like that. I prefer a little fizzy, a little "damaged", in native resolution, like on my old Philips CRT (without the curvature). I'm not playing right in front of my screen either, between 1 and 2m away. Much further if I play on the TV screen in the living room Kiss I'm using the last version of ReShade (1.1.0) with sweetFx (I've just changed a couple of things in AdvancedCRT.h shader and almost every settings in SweetFX_settings.txt). You can, of course, change the sharpness like you want, if you wan't it less fizzy Wink

I actively used SweetFX, or what ever it was, for the first time recently with Fallout 4. I disabled it eventually because the change wasn't all that different, especially after mods, and you can't record gameplay of those games with FRAPS or DXtory with those custom shader programs running.

Yes, it's not good for video capture. Although it works very well with Action!. It's mainly for screenshots and personnal tastes. I do not use it on PC games, only with emulators for this effect. Embarassed I think i've seen someone port the Lotte's shader on sweetFx. This is good for those who like it. You're not limited to Retroarch.

• 2 months later...
Hello guys! First of all, I have no intentions to offend anyone Laugh And, additionally, I must praise all the (really) incredible work the shader's creators have done for the emulation community (and happy users around the globe). But I saw this thread and wanted to give my contribution... Some months ago, I was struggling daily with my head in order to find "the perfect shader for my taste". I spent much (but think "much") hours testing, trying, thinking etc. about the really nice effects the available shaders give to us, the much better images they generate. And in the (very) few moments I PLAYED the games (well, it should be the priority Laugh) I always had that feeling of "well, but this game will be EVEN better with THAT shader", and here I go... So, at some point I just realize: I'm just testing things, and completely forgot the MAIN reason I spend time with this: to play and have fun. So, I just leave behind all my shaders tests and now just play with the "natural resources" - of course, if we can set a higher internal resolution, it's quite fine Laugh Again, it's just a matter of taste and this is just mine. I don't want to disencourage anyone to don't use the shaders. My point is remember that the main goal is to play and have a great time with our beloved games. My best wishes for everyone.

I'm really enjoying the Water shader It looks pretty good on my basement PC I have the 10 or so shaders I liked saved and I can easily cycle through them using my controller which is pretty bad ass. I also like Pixellate, Bead, WaterPaint HC CRT-Pi (no graphics card so PC struggles with most CRT shaders) and a few more whose names I don't recall off of the top.

DiegoBRRSPF said Hello guys! First of all, I have no intentions to offend anyone Laugh And, additionally, I must praise all the (really) incredible work the shader's creators have done for the emulation community (and happy users around the globe). But I saw this thread and wanted to give my contribution... Some months ago, I was struggling daily with my head in order to find "the perfect shader for my taste". I spent much (but think "much") hours testing, trying, thinking etc. about the really nice effects the available shaders give to us, the much better images they generate. And in the (very) few moments I PLAYED the games (well, it should be the priority Laugh) I always had that feeling of "well, but this game will be EVEN better with THAT shader", and here I go... So, at some point I just realize: I'm just testing things, and completely forgot the MAIN reason I spend time with this: to play and have fun. So, I just leave behind all my shaders tests and now just play with the "natural resources" - of course, if we can set a higher internal resolution, it's quite fine Laugh Again, it's just a matter of taste and this is just mine. I don't want to disencourage anyone to don't use the shaders. My point is remember that the main goal is to play and have a great time with our beloved games. My best wishes for everyone.
You are absolutely 100% correct. Testing things can get way out of hand and you end up spending more time tinkering that actually playing. Internal resolution bumps do help with 3D polygon games but it really does nothing for the 2D sprite based games. Finding the right shader can a royal pain in the ass especially when you find one you really like but you can't actually use it because your system just cannot handle it. I ran into that problem on my laptop. I don't want to recreate the old crappy TV from the 80s, I want to create the best balance of the newer high resolution while maintaining an older retro feel with out destroying the original artwork and that is why I settled on the CRT-Royale Kurozumi edit. Once I settled on this shader all is right with the worlsLaugh Here's a screenshot of Pier Solar @1440 using CRT-Royale Kurozumi edit. View it as big as possible to see the full effect. http://i.imgur.com/lsSFRGo.png

Yea I agree with the thought of spending too much time tinkering as well, I am guilty of that in some respects. This is why I got for the "increased internal resolution" look on everything. It does exist for 2D games, but it's not the same thing as what it means for 3D games. They use the same name and mean two different thing's. In RetroArch I think the Pixellate shader gets as close as I possibly can to increasing internal res for 2D games. I want the art to stay the same, I just don't want it to be blurry when I run the window in x3 to x6 for it's resolution (depends on the system).

Tinkering is also just going to be a big part of emulation setup though unfortunately. This is avoidable because everyone is using a different computer to run stuff, different controllers, different monitors and then of course everyone has different tastes in how they want their games to look and how and how to access them. There is no easy one size fits all solution unless you get into something like the Raspberry Pi and RetroPie / Emulation Station. You can go overboard with the tinkering though and I am very guilty of it but I also enjoy tinkering with computer stuff. As soon as I finish one tinker project I am looking for my next one.