LaunchBox Community Forums

What Retroarch shaders do you use ?

Lordmonkus

Here's my glsl shaders folder.

I know they have been converting CG shaders over to GLSL since CG is now set to deprecated status. I don't know if they are still working on some or if they are done but I do know that some of the CG shaders used certain things that were only available to that format and may not have a direct equal in GLSL.

shaders_glsl.7z

Info on the shader changes: https://www.libretro.com/index.php/shader-changes/

"...users with Nvidia or AMD GPUs must update their RetroArch installation [to 1.6.0] if they want to use the updated shaders. Users with Intel IGPs will be no worse off if they don’t update, since those shaders were already broken for them, but they’ll probably *want* to update to gain access to the many fancy shaders that now work properly on their machines.

Mobile GPUs using GLES had many of the same issues that Intel IGPs had, with many shaders refusing to work without #version directives, but GLES compatibility added in a further complication: GLES requires its own separate #version directives, either #version 100 es or #version 300 es, which are different from and incompatible with desktop GL’s #versions. To get around this, we added a trick in RetroArch to change any #version of 120 or below to #version 100, which is roughly comparable in features to 120, and any #version 130 or above to #version 300 es whenever a GLES context is used. This should get everything working as effectively and consistently as possible on mobile GPUs, but if anything slipped through the cracks, be sure to file an issue report at the GLSL shader repo."

I'm not sure what your video card is, but that could also be an issue.

• 1 year later...

I use CG geom all the way on both RA and MAME which are my two dominant emulators of love. I am pretty happy with ye ol' geom as it tickles my fickle pickle, but N64 on RA with Mupen64plus even though I am using GLSL it looks like a Langolier is raping the screen with a Vulcan Mind Meld of doom. Does anyone have any corking custom parameters they use with the N64 regarding shaders they'd care to share that make it look more palatable and dandy for my eye candy?

On 7/2/2018 at 6:15 AM, Dane said:

I use CG geom all the way on both RA and MAME which are my two dominant emulators of love. I am pretty happy with ye ol' geom as it tickles my fickle pickle, but N64 on RA with Mupen64plus even though I am using GLSL it looks like a Langolier is raping the screen with a Vulcan Mind Meld of doom. Does anyone have any corking custom parameters they use with the N64 regarding shaders they'd care to share that make it look more palatable and dandy for my eye candy?

lol breakin' out the ol' Langoliers. Nice. Meatballs with chainsaw teeth. Gotta love it.

So the thing with N64, like PSX, is it's gonna depend on whether or not you're upscaling. If you are, CRT shaders aren't going to look right, because they're designed with native internal resolution in mind. I don't upscale on PSX, but when I do for N64, I just use an antialiasing shader. There's an antialiasing subfolder in shaders - I use the 4x one. It just smoothes it out a bit more. If you want to use a CRT shader/scanlines, you're going to need to use native internal resolution. If I'm using Parallel + AngryLion, I use native resolution and a CRT shader; usually one of my own.

4 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Is there a reason to use an AA shader when the N64 core has AA as an option in the core settings ?

It's just an extra layer. I would usually only go up to about 3x or so (sometimes only 2x) before hitting some performance issues (depending on the game) so I wanted to throw on as much smoothing as I could get. It doesn't make a huge difference either way though.

At this point I've converted about all of my stuff over to Parallel though.

• For the handhelds I use the custom shaders that Tatsuya made over at the Libretro forums (https://forums.libretro.com/t/handheld-border-shaders/2551).

• For the 8 and 16 bit systems I use easymode with an NTSC filter (either Blargg's or NTSC passes). I love CRT effects with a little bit of bleeding. No curvature though.

• For N64 and up (i.e. PSX, Dreamcast), that start using different resolutions at the same time and 2d/3d blends, I use a custom N64 shader made by SigmaVirus over at the Libretro forums (https://forums.libretro.com/t/authentic-n64-look-shader-possible/5908/6). It emulates a pass through S-Video with enough bleeding to make me retro-enjoy it :) 

image.thumb.png.9e008b8077b310902d44208b532e9535.png

• For MAME I made a custom GLSL preset using CRT Geom Bloom as base.

14 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

lol breakin' out the ol' Langoliers. Nice. Meatballs with chainsaw teeth. Gotta love it.

So the thing with N64, like PSX, is it's gonna depend on whether or not you're upscaling. If you are, CRT shaders aren't going to look right, because they're designed with native internal resolution in mind. I don't upscale on PSX, but when I do for N64, I just use an antialiasing shader. There's an antialiasing subfolder in shaders - I use the 4x one. It just smoothes it out a bit more. If you want to use a CRT shader/scanlines, you're going to need to use native internal resolution. If I'm using Parallel + AngryLion, I use native resolution and a CRT shader; usually one of my own.

I have not changed or attempted to alter/play around with N64 resolution but I might actually tinker with it along with a few other mentions of yours to see how they look, thank you.

8 hours ago, Kondorito said:

I tried that one and it wasn’t for me. The lines onscreen were too abrasive. Though with my video card, monitor and other factors it could look different on my setup compared to yours or someone else’s. Thank you for the suggestion.

i ended up trying 3dfx_4x1 and quite liked it, it’s smooth and crisp at the same time.

im enjoying tinkering to find something nice so I’ll continue to see and play around with it.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Personally, i use the shader "presets\scalefx+rAA+aa-fast" for all system with low resolution and or with core that can't upscale to 1080p.

Original vs Scalefx for snes.

image.thumb.png.f5df2005c0f727d0a0ffe607b2985303.png image.thumb.png.66a0e0e141ca02fe8a3becf63dcbabcd.png

Original vs Scalefx for dreamcast, the line are slightly better but good luck to see the difference (upscale to 1080p).

image.thumb.png.f15328516ad10c1c112574b6cdaef381.png image.thumb.png.fa225198214fa39074d381d06e98a224.png

Original vs Scalefx for 3do.

image.thumb.png.ec132a61e8beca0cf6b70a775c2dae63.png image.thumb.png.71eff446d8388ce7007a1566ef56d681.png