LaunchBox Community Forums

SSF isn't dead afterall

Lordmonkus

So here I was thinking the Saturn emulator SSF was pretty much dead and done and along comes a new version. Granted it's a test release but still good to see it still being worked on. I have no clue what's new in the test version but I had a little mess around with it "feels" like it plays a little bit better with fewer graphical glitches. Granted I did only try out some Darius Gaiden and that game played fairly flawless before with a few extremely minor graphic flickers before and now those flickers don't exist at all. I really wish there was some documentation at all, let alone good documentation on it. Even if you translate the homepage of the developer it's all fairly meaningless info. Still no support of just straight loading disk images though, no idea if that is something planned or not ever intended. Link to news site about it. Link to actual homepage of SSF in Japanese. Google translate does a good job of translating it.

Drybonz said Nice! I see Version 12 R4 at the top of the Japanese page... but isn't that the last version?
Yes, that is the latest official version but there is a new test version which is the 3rd link on the page below where it says Ver0.12 beta R4. After some playing around with my small collection of around 15 games it seems that only a few of the ones I have actually work with the test version

I had a test version from September that I found to be more compatible then the official version So far I tested it with Alien Trilogy and it was working great let me know a few of the titles you couldn't get to work. Last test version crashed when trying to add controllers but that is fixed in this version

Tested a bunch of games I know don't work and they still don't work A.M.O.K. still black screen Corpse Killer Usually runs super slow and choppy test version is just black screen. Croc loads up but after the first screen its all black (there is an older version of SSF that runs it but I forget the build and I'm not at that PC) Die Hard Trilogy actual 1st screen with some text came up but then got choppy but still some sound its the most I've ever seen from this game Doom Loads but then has black screen when game play starts Earth Worm Jim 2 No sprites still I tested a few other games that I knew used to work and they still did but so far nothing to be impressed with with this one.

After some more tinkering I found that by using the No Bios setting in the Program 4 tab in Options all but 2 of my games load and play. The 2 games that don't seem to want to work for me is Soukyu Gurentai Otokuyo (it just black screens) and Cotton Boomerang (spits out a bunch of SH2 error stuff) One nice setting I found that is new to the test version is on the Program 1 tab of the Options and that is the option now for GPU Rendering. I found this to be quite a nice performance boost, I can now use the Full Compatability (very slow) setting in the EZ Setting tab and get no slow down at all. Edit: Ok just straight up mounting the bin file for Soukyu Gurentai Otokuyo using Virtual Clone Drive works in SSF when I set the CD drive to that virtual drive. But using my LaunchBox mounting bat file and Daemon Tools doesn't work, might be something wrong with my cue sheet.

Indeed, it is good to see these 2 emulators seeing work being done and if you include the Yabause core for Retroarch it's kind of like 3 and more is always good. The new test version off SSF doesn't seem to offer much in the way of noticeable improvement but the GPU rendering option is nice. Like I said above, it allows me to run the Full Compatibility mode with zero slow down and that's always a good thing.