LaunchBox Community Forums

No Mans Sky

Lordmonkus

In all likelihood yes, it seems like my kind of thing. I've been following this one since it was announced, but I still want to do some more reading/watching before I pick it up. The whole "what is it?" question has been looming since the beginning. It's not Minecraft in space or 3D Starbound, I know that for certain - it seems like it's actually much more of a survival game, which can be both good and bad; it just kindof depends on how annoying they make the survival elements... I'm definitely still interested, but a little trepidatious about it. Worst case scenario I'll pick it up on a sale haha

I pre-ordered it on GoG and they got a 30 day money back thing so if it's really bad it can be refunded. I'm excited for this game, I like Elite Dangerous a lot but some of it's limitations like the always online requirement's and the DLCs were off-putting. Basically it's a giant survival-exploration in space game with a truly unknown universe to explore since it is all generated by the computer so no one really knows what we are going to find in the 18 quintillion star systems in the game. It's as close as were gonna get for now to exploring the universe.

I'm a big Elite Dangerous guy myself. My Dad and I used to play the original Elite on the C64 when I was a kid so when I showed him E:D he was like "Holy crap..." haha. The always-online thing isn't such a big deal - you can still play single-player only if you want. The online component is just for updating faction territories based on your participation (or lack thereof). I haven't picked up the DLC either though. Like I said, I'm interested in No Man's Sky, but my enjoyment is going to depend pretty highly on how annoying the survival elements are; which, based on what I've read so far, are more pronounced than a lot of people anticipated.
  • Like 1

Well the online connection requirement generally isn't a big deal for most people and I don't mind it generally for stuff like MMOs. But my internet isn't the greatest, living in a forest does have its drawbacks and my internet connection is a wireless one and sometimes stability can be funky.

So thoughts so far? Reviews haven't exactly been glowing... Jim Sterling's in particular was really negative.

I will say that I'm one of the few crazy people that actually enjoyed deep-space exploration/surveying in Elite Dangerous (despite the fact that it's absolutely not a viable source of income at all). Learning how to prepare beforehand, stripping your ship down to the bare essentials, plotting a viable course (keeping in mind the types of stars that are usable for your fuel scoop and your maximum jump range), being so far from colonized space... it actually resulted in some of the more tense moments I've had while playing.

I'm still kinda on the fence for NMS. I feel like I'm gonna end up waiting for a sale...

EDIT: Never forget your KGB FOAM while exploring deep space.

tumblr_nnjxlhSHPo1usrosro1_1280.jpg

I haven't put much time into it yet but so far I will stick to what I have said before. It's a niche market type of game. If you want a story and clear cut objectives holding your hand and dragging you point to point then this is not the game to get.

It really is an open world sandbox game of survival exploration and just enjoying the worlds and atmosphere.

If you aren't sure about it then I would suggest you wait for a sale but if you know you would really like the style of game it is then I can say it is really good and worth the money but I would wait for a couple of patches. Some people are reporting severe performance issues and crashes depending on system configuration. It runs fine for me but I did have to turn G-Sync off in one of the games config files.

Honestly I've moved from "on the fence" to "mostly disinterested" the more I've actually seen of it and read/watched about it. Looks/sounds like a very standard open-world-survival-crafting game not unlike pretty much any other just "bigger" in a very shallow sense. "Width of the ocean depth of a kiddie-pool" is a phrase I've heard repeatedly.

I'll pick it up when it's way on sale, hopefully after they add something substantial to it.

• 1 month later...

I actually like it, especially on the PC with some of the mods coming out for it to help enhance it. I think too many people got overhyped for it and had very unrealistic expectations of the game. I think people thought it was going to be GTA or Skyrim in space when they should have known it was just going to be a Minecraft type of survival and exploration game.

It's certainly not a game for everyone.