LaunchBox Community Forums

Import Clone from Merged Set

Drybonz

DOS76 said I have the merged set of 170 myself and next time I update I'm getting the split set instead.
I always used to get the merged sets, but I don't even remember the reason why. Maybe I thought it was more organized? Anyway, yeah... LaunchBox doesn't seem to work with the merged set as far as I can see. It's a shame Antropus' Lightspeed tool can't pull individual rom files. *edit* I guess I could run them through CLRMame, but I feel like that's going to have so many repercussions.

SentaiBrad said If all you want to do is add this 1 game you can force import anything, including duplicates (at least as far as LB see's) so my reply still holds true, just manually add the game. Obviously this doesn't work for the entire set.
Yeah, I see what you are saying and did try to manually add it... the problem is that my clones are merged into the same zips as the parents, so I don't know how to make LaunchBox find the clones from the same zip. I may be missing something and if you can tell me how to do it I really appreciate it. I am not always able to figure this stuff out on my own. :)

DOS76 said I thought last time I used ClearMAMEPro it didn't work because it didn't create any new ROMs but now that I think about it would a merged set get new ROMs or would new files just be added to your old ones.
Derek, I thought it just pulled the clone files out and re-zipped them into the individual re-named zip files... but I'm scared to try it for fear of messing up my set or having to reconfigure multiple emulators... lol.

Ah, yea. Our MAME is currently not built on any merged or even split sets but rather 1 by 1. It's using the regular mame naming database that comes packaged with mame to parse what each rom. Moving to a split set should technically work if they're not all bundled together.

Drybonz, You might like to know that the next version of Lightspeed will support what you want to do. By now you probably already moved ahead and downloaded the split sets, but I'm adding this feature to Lightspeed for anyone with merged sets to use. It will be fully implemented in a day or two. It works like this: 1) Before you do anything else (like generating the bulk of your mame filtered library), the first step is to drag and drop any merged rom set that you want to run clones from into a little area in the gui. 2) A listview will open up showing all clones related to that main set and you will be able to use checkboxes to select any number of clones you want to play from LaunchBox. 3) You will see two buttons available: the first one will allow you to create dummy files with empty contents, named after the clone rom and the same extension as the main set you drag-dropped (.7z or .zip). The second button is an actual rom splitter and can be useful for anyone who just want a quick way to split their merged sets. This one will unzip the file(s) you just dropped, it will verify only the clones you just checked by running mame in the background just to get a list of the necessary roms to run each clone, look through the newly unzipped folder for those roms and finally will create the correspondent brand new zip files (or .7z) that will contain all necessary roms to play said clone, without adding any other roms necessary to play the other clones. It will be a clean spit/merge file. 4) This feature will bypass all filters and will force the clones you selected into the final LaunchBox.xml, so unless they are broken, you will get them available in LaunchBox. I tested both ways and I can confirm that mame will launch the correct game even if you point to a dummy zip file, as mame will look for the roms in there first and since it will not find them, it will look for them in the main set, launching the correct clone set based on the name you passed. You will able to test it yourself around Wednesday. Cheers, -Kris

Antropus said Drybonz, You might like to know that the next version of Lightspeed will support what you want to do. By now you probably already moved ahead and downloaded the split sets, but I'm adding this feature to Lightspeed for anyone with merged sets to use. Cheers, -Kris
I actually am in the process of setting up a split set even as I read this, but I think it's a great feature as I am seeing plenty of merged sets still available for download... so I think there will always be someone to appreciate that convenience. So, thanks for adding that.