LaunchBox Community Forums

Noob here, getting lots of errors when downloading tons of meta data :(

emongev

I just started using launchbox and i love the metadata getting feature since i can organize a bunch of collections i have, however im getting lots of 404's when doing so, is this normal? Hasnt finished yet but its showing around 17 thousand errors so far, here is a screenshot: http://imgur.com/g5B3znZ Am i doing something wrong?

No, unfortunately that is normal, it means you've hit your EmuMovies daily limit. They have a daily limit for free users to download media so it results in the 404 error. You can safely wait it out and press ok to keep all imported games when it is done.

Well you don't have to, yea they would like it, but we're not forcing anyone on our end to use their service if they don't want to. You're more then welcome to keep using the daily limit by re-running the scraper under Tools. Granted, if you want video that's the only way we offer it is through them. However, music and images are provided to free members just obviously at a limit per day.

Haha yeah, anyways, thanks SentaiBrad! Dunno if its possible, but maybe it would be a good idea for the error window to parse a single 404 response and clarify that theres a free member limit on emumovies, because i think its possible im not the first one to encounter this dilemma xD ooooor maybe there already is something of the sort, but i just skipped over it, in that case ignore my suggestion haha Thanks again! :)

• 1 month later...
Screenshot those errors. Keep in mind not all artwork exists for all systems, and unless I'm wrong you can get an error if the artwork doesn't exist, or if you're rom is named too oddly for it to be recognized correctly by the database. Its not uncommon for me to get a few errors. Sometimes I have to go into launchbox and edit the rom info so the database recognizes it.

Thanks for reporting this, guys. It seems like EmuMovies might be having some trouble. We use their API, so those 404 errors aren't really anything we can do anything about. I know sometimes they're caused by download limits, which we really should have a better error message for. That said, if it's happening for premium members then it's probably just caused by a temporary issue on their end, or there moving media around or something of that nature. If you're getting lots of EmuMovies errors then I'd say it would be probably best to just give it a day and try the next day. Sorry I don't have a better solution for you guys.