LaunchBox Community Forums

What controllers is everyone using?

kevinempty71

I mostly use X-Box 360 controllers for everything but I've had Logitech F710 and F310 controllers that worked good Sabrent 6 button gamepads that are great for playing fighting games if only they made a wireless version. I have some cheap knockoffs of a bunch of console controllers that I don't ever use. 2 Mayflash fighting sticks, A Logitech 3D Pro Extreme (which is great with the Sega model 3 Star Wars Trilogy Arcade). Logitech G27 Racing Wheel that I need to hook up and use. Arcade Gun IR gun. Ipega Bluetooth controllers with both of my tablet versions of LaunchBox. So basically everything but mostly XBox 360 XBox One and some Bluetooth knockoffs that are setup like XBox controllers.

I use a wired Microsoft 360 pad for the majority of my gaming needs, but when the mood strikes, I bust out my cheap console knock-offs like DOS76 to try to "emulate" (pun intended) the feel of playing the consolized version. I also have an NES30 that is pretty boss for my NES games.

I use XBox 360 controllers for navigation and every game which supports a analog stick and my PS4 controllers when I play actual PlayStation games or need a good D-Pad. But I also have a wired Xbox 360 MadCatz Street Fighter ArcadeStick which I mainly use for actual arcade games(MAME) and I use my WiiMotes in combination with the DolphinBar for Wii emulation. In the future I want to buy 2 AimTrack Lightguns to play, well, lightgun games :)

RetroArch has a very handy feature that lets you remap buttons on your gamepad by holding down another button. In this way, holding down a trigger can change the X,B etc. buttons on a microsoft xbox controller from emulating A & B etc. to the C buttons. So for N46, PS1 1 & 2, PC, and a few other systems I use a wireless Xbox 360 controller. I also aim to have this controller control the front end. (I have a N64 usb, but honestly with the above feature, and once you get used to it, the 360 controller feels just as good. Maybe even a little better, but that's hard to say, as anything starts to feel natural after a while.) The D-Pad is the most interesting conundrum, isn't it? No one makes them like Nintendo. I've got SNES NES etc. usb controllers out the wazoo. I certainly wouldn't use the xbox controller for a Super Metroid playthrough (Though I have tried, I guess some things actually don't start to feel natural). I've tried logitech, madcatz, etc. Eventually, I settled on using a Wii Classic controller hooked up through wiimote connected via Dolphinbar, and it is worth it if you're playing 16 or less bit anything. Just this week I considered ordering a bluetooth dongle for the Wii U Pro controller, but everything I read seems to suggest its a pain to set up. I have no doubt that once I get around to it, it will be my controller of choice, though. I think we're fortunate that we can buy cannon nintendo D pads at all, and as my last order of business I'm probably going to buy a dozen or so of them, because I fear Dpads will become extinct. At any rate, hope it helps. Edit: Wanted to add, I've also gone the ps3 controller route, and I would recommend it over any of the logitech madcatz stuff for the dpad. But that's just me. Edit Edit: When in doubt about the realness of a Dpad on a controller, use that controller to try and knock out Mike Tyson on NES. The limitations become clear quick haha.