LaunchBox Community Forums

Importing ROM/ISO save files

Beatlemaniac19

I'm currently importing my N64 collection and have run into a problem with importing some of my save files. When I imported my roms, I also copied them into my LaunchBox folder. With this option, by default, inside the Launchbox folder, and in the "Games" folder, a folder was created once I decided to copy my roms into the LaunchBox database. Within the folder was not only the roms, but also a save file for every time I played a game with the extension ".srm" (as you all are probably aware). The ".srm" file extension works as an extension for many SNES roms, but not any N64 roms (to my knowledge). In short, I'm having trouble importing my save files (i.e. .eep, .mpk (for memory pack games), .fla, and .sra file extensions) into my "Nintendo 64" folder. The only way I can get my save files to work, that I'm aware of, is to convert them to .srm files. The problem is that the only extension that allows this file extension change without the file becoming altered and unusable is .eep. I've successfully converted save files for games like Banjo-Kazooie, Mario Party, and Super Mario 64, but I can't transfer most of my save files because of this issue. Just for your information, I'm using RetroArch and their Mupen64Plus core as my N64 emulator. If this helps with a solution, let me know. My questions are: 1) Is it possible to instruct LaunchBox to read various save file extensions that aren't the .srm extension? Can I tell Launchbox exactly which file extensions for save files I want it to read? If so, how? 2) If so, how would I get Launchbox to recognize these file extensions, not just for N64 titles, but for all video game titles, regardless of platform? 3) Was it a mistake to copy the roms into the LaunchBox folder? If I kept the games in their own seperate folder, could I configure my Mupen64Plus core to know where the save files were so RetroArch could launch the games with their save files with no problem? 4) I've heard RocketLauncher can be applied to LaunchBox. I've never used the program, so forgive my ingorance. Can RocketLauncher handle uploading the save files with the games that I launch? If there's any link you can direct me to that can answer any questions about importing saves then I'd be glad to hear about it. Sorry if this post was long-winded and confusing. I really love LaunchBox and probably will be a lifetime user. Thanks guys, Will Smile

So LaunchBox does nothing with save files, only roms. Those save files should be in a very specific folder for RetroArch, which you can alter in the Settings -> Path sub-menu in RA. If your games are no longer reading their save file then they are in the wrong location more than likely. If I recall there is an option to let RA handle the saves or the Core. If the core handles it, it depends. Sometimes they're located with the Roms, sometimes they're located in the System folder, or a save folder in the system folder, or where you tell it. You don't import any save files in to LaunchBox, only your roms. From there the Emulator handles all it needs to where ever it is located. Also, you don't need to move anything in to the LaunchBox structure if you don't want. The only thing that really needs to be here is metadata (which is downloaded), manuals (which is half covered right now) and music. Otherwise your emulators and roms can stay exactly where they are. If you moved everything then your saves broke this is probably why. You might be over thinking this. LaunchBox knows where the Emulator is located, it knows where all your roms are located. It uses the windows command line interface to launch and do everything it needs to. However RetroArch is set up to deal with saves has nothing at all to do with LaunchBox. Again, sometimes the saves need to be located with your roms, in your system folder, or in a specified folder. Also, my personal take on RocketLauncher is that it does not need to be used with LaunchBox what so ever, however, in all due fairness there are several members here, and dozens more switching over from RocketLauncher and EmulationStation to RL and LB. RocketLauncher can take sometime to set up, and it only offers a few features in my opinion that are any useful, and even then I still don't think there needs to be another layer on top. But again, there are lots of users who love RockerLauncher, and it can offer some cool features that we currently don't have but will in the future. If I didn't touch on anything or I didn't clarify anything enough please feel free to keep asking questions here. Also, in my signature is a link to our YouTube channel where we post Tutorials on how to deal with various facets of LaunchBox. Feel free to read those and suggest topics for those videos as well.

Yeah, as stated above you're definitely overthinking this. Open RetroArch, go to Directory (Or Paths) I forget what they call it. Find out what RetroArch has listed as your save directory. If it says "Default" I'm pretty sure that means you should just dump all your save files into the rom folder. I think the default storage location for RA saves is Rom directory. In this case put them into the launchbox rom folder because that's where LaunchBox is getting the games. Or you can simply put them all into another directory and make sure you're point RA to that directory. I recommend this method. As stated above, this has nothing to do with LaunchBox and importing a bunch of srm or eep files will just clutter up your lists. Save files should never be LAUNCHED, only read by the emulator when you launch your actual rom. The only thing RocketLauncher can do for your save files is that it's designed to create a saves\system name folder in your RA directory and sort your saves by system. This is nifty if you like to organize that way, but its not necessary. Do you use different configs for different systems? If so, you'll have to set the paths like explained above for each config. If not, just set them in the retroarch.config and you're golden. Edit: To be clear, you should NOT import save files into LaunchBox. If you want to keep them in your rom directory, move them first, import just your roms into LaunchBox and then move them back. I recommend instead that you create a folder/directory called "save" "saves" or whatever and point the RA saves path to it.

You don't even need to do that though, when importing games you don't need to move anything. Say you have gba roms and other files you don't want imported. Add files, and in the top right for Windows search use "*.gba". This will search for anything with a gba file extension. Then you can Ctrl + A and add files. This is something I've covered before in our Tutorials. Even though right now they're just covering different systems, I cover techniques in LaunchBox that can apply to anything.