LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME

MiraiKuma

Have only imported a few games, and there are mulitple threads on here you want to look at, but for starters call the Platform "Arcade" and not "Mame". This allows you to use some of the nifty mame import features of LB like excluding clones and preferring regions. https://www.launchbox-app.com/announcements/new-list-of-emulator-settings-and-mame-import-tools https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/emulation/tool-to-import-metadata-for-mame-roms-from-mame-dat-or-arcadehits-net/page-2

You add your MAME roms like anything else. When the importer asks for a platform put Arcade if you already added MAME as an emulator the next form will be populated with MAME (if you set it as your default arcade platform) if you haven't added it yet then click add and point it toward your MAME.exe. When asked if you want to copy, move or use ROMs in there present folder for MAME you are best to leave them where they are and if you do choose to move your games remember to point your .ini to the appropriate LaunchBox folder or MAME won't find your games. As you go through the wizard there will be a special form that is only for MAME that will alllow you to choose to not add non-working, clones, bootlegs and hacks along with a few other options. Complete the wizard and wait. I was waiting over like 15 hours for it to finish today on my kitchen HTPC and then our electricity went out due to the weather so now I may have to start the whole process over again from scratch.

No worries I just wish the damn electricity would come back on I'm burning through both my mobile data and my laptops battery. Not to mention I had planned to watch Deadpool this afternoon but with no server up I don't have access to any of my media and downloading destroys your data.

I offer help and I hi-jack threads that's what I do. Honestly though threads like this once the OP gets their responses they are usually done with the thread unless they need further assistance which they can still ask for. So I hope nobody minds things aren't as rule based around here and threads may be taken over by random post that no longer are relevant to the original question. Also we definitely need some PM or chat function then we can chat about things in private (well except for the NSA listening too).

Deadpool. Is. Awesome. I'm pretty antisocial but even I'll go to theaters. Why wouldn't you.... nevermind. I been meaning to ask where launchbox gets it info in order to parse the romset like that? How reliable are those settings? Lastly, will LaunchBox experience any slowdown if I import thousands of mame games? I'm really trying not to do it (import them all), but picking your favorites out of ten thousand arcades is.... daunting.

I do go sometimes I saw Star Wars (twice), TMNT, both Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, part 3 of the Hobbit, Entourage and the last X-Men movie. It really all depends on if I have someone to go with or not. Even though you can't talk there or anything I've never in 39 years been to the movies alone and would feel like a loser going by myself. I tried to go Sunday with my nephew but when we went it was sold out for the rest of the night by then different venues became available. If it was being offered in 3D I would probably go check it out If you saw my comic book collection you would say Marvel owes me (not really). As for MAME the import takes a long time if you are getting all of the metadata from GDB and EmuMovies. I just spent a lot of time importing it all for naught the power outage wiped out everything. I will have to check my folders and see if the data it was downloading is in there hopefully it will be.

DOS76 said I offer help and I hi-jack threads that's what I do. Honestly though threads like this once the OP gets their responses they are usually done with the thread unless they need further assistance which they can still ask for. So I hope nobody minds things aren't as rule based around here and threads may be taken over by random post that no longer are relevant to the original question. Also we definitely need some PM or chat function then we can chat about things in private (well except for the NSA listening too).
The forums and website were upgraded last night. We have PM's now, and active anti spam on the forums too.

How does the anit-spam work and yeah now that you mention it I see the PM button. @fromlostdays my nephew just called me and he and some friends are going to go see Deadpool its only $5 on Tuesdays so I am meeting up with them and going to see it in the theaters after all.

SentaiBrad, I think a MAME tutorial video for LaunchBox would great for the LaunchBox Youtube channel. I've been watching them and they are very well made. I find setting up MAME pretty intimidating since there are so many options: For the emulator there is stock MAME or MAMEUIFX or other forks For ROMS, there are clones, CHD games, and whole categories of games that have little interest such as majong etc If you did a tutorial video, I think it should deal with the following issues: 1- Choice of MAME build: I always look for a NoNag build to skip the warning screens when MAME starts. 2- User has a full MAME ROM set or ROM+CHDs 3- Include or remove clones. 4- Remove some categories of games like majong. 5- Add more platforms to LaunchBox that use the MAME ROMS like Neo-Geo, CPS I/II/III, Cave I'm sure there are more issues that could be covered and maybe some that are more important than what I listed.

As an added question off topic since you guys took over my thread anyways! lol Any one know of a good wiki or how to that shows what bios files go where for RetroArch 1.3.0? I have most every bios file I'll ever need, just having trouble figuring out where they go. Thanks for any and all help.