LaunchBox Community Forums

Lightspeed Mame Importer - Teaser

Antropus

You already don't need .bat files you just have to have different versions of Demul for arcade and Dreamcast. I already have the .bats setup though so I haven't stopped using them you have to just have a couple of the boxes checked on the main emulator form in manage emulator but those boxes mess with the ability to run the DC images.

DOS76 said You already don't need .bat files you just have to have different versions of Demul for arcade and Dreamcast. I already have the .bats setup though so I haven't stopped using them you have to just have a couple of the boxes checked on the main emulator form in manage emulator but those boxes mess with the ability to run the DC images.
Yeah, my wrapper kinda bypasses those problems. You just need to run it with no parameters and it will work fine. I have one for Naomi and one for Atomiswave. They completely hide everything with a splashscreen and a progress bar and boot straight to the game. They also move the mouse out of the way and completely disable it, so just the joystick works. It exits straight back to Launchbox with no flashing windows of any kind. Pretty clean. I will change a couple of things and create a the same wrapper, with added flexibility, since I will allow for my own parameter to be parsed. For example, if you want to run naomi, you would just have to point to my wrapper and in the parameter you write "naomi" (or atomiswave, or hikaru or whatever parameter I come up with :) ). I'll try to release the individual wrappers and also this one that will accept parameters, so it can be used with all systems, over the weekend or so. I'm creating some splash screens for the systems right now :) -Kris

Antropus said
DOS76 said You already don't need .bat files you just have to have different versions of Demul for arcade and Dreamcast. I already have the .bats setup though so I haven't stopped using them you have to just have a couple of the boxes checked on the main emulator form in manage emulator but those boxes mess with the ability to run the DC images.
Yeah, my wrapper kinda bypasses those problems. You just need to run it with no parameters and it will work fine. I have one for Naomi and one for Atomiswave. They completely hide everything with a splashscreen and a progress bar and boot straight to the game. They also move the mouse out of the way and completely disable it, so just the joystick works. It exits straight back to Launchbox with no flashing windows of any kind. Pretty clean. I will change a couple of things and create a the same wrapper, with added flexibility, since I will allow for my own parameter to be parsed. For example, if you want to run naomi, you would just have to point to my wrapper and in the parameter you write "naomi" (or atomiswave, or hikaru or whatever parameter I come up with :) ). I'll try to release the individual wrappers and also this one that will accept parameters, so it can be used with all systems, over the weekend or so. I'm creating some splash screens for the systems right now :) -Kris
What are you using? Rocketlauncher? Something totally different?

Something I did yesterday night: added the ability to "Lock Emulator". What that little check-box does is: - Assigns a fixed ID for Mame - When it is on, it disables emulator and command line for all platforms and assumes the information entered in the first line as the default emulator for all platforms created from that point on (red rectangle in the image) - It checks if an emulator with the same ID is already present in your LauchBox.xml. If it's present, it doesn't add a new emulator, but rather merges the newly created platforms into the existent emulator - At any time, by switching it off you are telling Lightspeed to go ahead and create a different emulator for the specified platform. For example: you can leave it on, check all check-boxes to create all platforms linked to a single emulator and then switch it off and add a different platform using the source driver menu for "model2.cpp", defining an entirely different emulator and command line. Later, switch it back on to tell Lightspeed to merge the next platform to the core emulator again. - This emulator ID is hard coded, meaning that this number will be always the same. What that means to you is that no matter how many times you run Lightspeed to add more systems to your collection, it will always merge new platforms to the present Mame emulator ID you defined the first time you ran Lightspeed. Let's say mame just released a new version that supports Sega Model 2. You could re-open Lightspeed, pick that driver, give it a name you like, check the "Lock Emulator" check-box and this platform will be added and the emulator will be assigned to be the Mame.exe you created days ago. - It doesn't matter if you changed the name of your main Mame emulator in LunchBox later on, Lightspeed will always look for the ID number, so even if you renamed your emulator description to "My Super Awesome Mame", any time you run Lightspeed it will find it and you will be able to link any new Mame platform to that emulator. Work in progress: lockemu.png -Kris

I don't know how many people are testing it at this point, but I assume at least 4. Since it was released a few days ago, I would like to ask you guys for some feedback on the current features. I know there are many feature requests floating around, but I'm interested in squashing bugs at this point, before a new release comes adding some extra features, including the ability to keep all mame platforms under a single emulator as described above. Assuming you have a mame collection of roms and artwork living in your HDD: - Did the program import your mame roms collection correctly? - Was the metadata parsed correctly? - Is your local artwork showing up correctly in LaunchBox? - When you double click a game, does it launch correctly? - Was the process fast or slow in your machine? - Did you try the MameUI lists Importer module? Did it work? - Are the current filters working for you? Did you notice any inconsistency, like a game that was supposed to be playable (and you are sure is in your roms folder) not showing up in the library? Thanks guys.

Antropus said Assuming you have a mame collection of roms and artwork living in your HDD: - Did the program import your mame roms collection correctly? - Was the metadata parsed correctly? - Is your local artwork showing up correctly in LaunchBox? - When you double click a game, does it launch correctly? - Was the process fast or slow in your machine? - Did you try the MameUI lists Importer module? Did it work? - Are the current filters working for you? Did you notice any inconsistency, like a game that was supposed to be playable (and you are sure is in your roms folder) not showing up in the library?
Ok, I don't think I have used the most recent version, but I am waiting on the lock emulator version (which is sounding pretty cool) to do a demul setup. Anyway... - The program imported my games perfectly. I had to run it twice but I think I had LB open and minimized the first time so that was on me. - The metadata has been perfect as far as I can see. I ran thru a ton of games last night while I was taking some screenshots and didn't see any problems. The only game I did notice was 1942 had duplicates of every line of metadata entry. It was the only game I saw like this and it corrected itself when I ran one of the later betas. - Local artwork has been great. I couldn't find a way to display cabinet shots in LB because I was out of places for art. I ended up putting it in the "back cover" art, but that doesn't display in the details section. That's a LB thing though... no worries. - Every game has launched perfectly except for the .7z problem, which is fixed and CPS3. - The process was insanely fast. I love the filters so much. - I tried to import my favorites folder from MAMEUIFX and the only .ini that was available to import (beside catver) was filter.ini... not sure if that was the one I was supposed to use but it didn't seem to import my favorites. - Filters are great... saves so much time. Only one left I could think of to add is Vs Nintendo. I noticed there were a small handful of card games left after the filters did their work... probably less than 20 games. I hope that is what you are looking for. I know some of it is redundant with what we already talked about but that's all I could think of.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up, Drybonz! Very much appreciated as I try to kill the remaining bugs :) I noticed that thing about one single game having repeated custom fields. Even in my video demo it showed up and like you said, just in one game. So odd. I will look at it. If you need help with the MameUI list, let me know. Maybe a screenshot showing the contents of your ini file? I will be looking into that problem we discussed before, about CHD games without a companion rom file not launching. I'll add a routine to check if a folder doesn't have a correspondent .zip (or .7z) and if that's the case, Lightspeed will create a dummy .zip (or .7z), so things should launch flawlessly. Stay tuned! Thank for all your contributions and suggestions. I'm listening! -Kris

JustinM said I cant find download link?
Hey Justin, I believe this is the latest alpha I released. You can try it out for now, but the first Beta is coming in a day or so (please download the whole thing, including the "SupportFiles" folder): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B23vaxsfSk1ydXRJTTdBam44aTg/view?usp=sharing The beta will have some important extra features, so stay tuned. -Kris

Drybonz said On a related note... is there any way to use your filters from Lightspeed to move the rom files that are filtered to another folder? The reason I would want to do this is so that my games list in MAME matches Launchbox.
Super easy to add this feature and already in the plans! It should come in a couple of days. I'll probably add a "copy filtered roms to folder" kind of feature. I really don't want to move original roms around so people cannot blame me for screwing up their library later :P Stay tuned!

Update log: - When "Lock Emulator" is on, from now on all other platform emulator, browse buttons and command line parameters will be shown greyed out, so it's clear that only the first line will be taken in account. This is going to be the default state when you open Lightspeed, assuming that you want to create all platforms linked to a single emulator, unless you uncheck it and in that case, every single new platform created from that point on will have a companion custom emulator linked to it. - Added the skeleton code for moving/copying ROMs based on the filters (not working just yet). I'm planning to make this an open tool within Lightspeed, meaning that you will be able to ask Lightspeed to move/copy the roms as it creates the libraries for you or you can use this as a standalone tool, meaning that you can simply use it to move/copy your roms based on the filters, but without having to necessarily migrate or populate anything into LaunchBox. - .zip and .7z files are now checked against folders inside of the ROMs folder. Mame assumes that any folder inside of the ROMs folder contains CHD files and everything else is considered a ROM, either .zip or .7z. Lightspeed will now verify if a folder does not have either a .zip or a .7z companion file and if that's the case, Lightspeed will create dummy .zip files matching the folder names Now, every single CHD folder will have a companion .zip file and this way LaunchBox will ALWAYS try to launch the game. If the game works without a companion ROM file, it will launch just fine. If the game is broken, then nothing much will happen and you should not be adding any broken game to your library anyway... use the filters! Adding this feature took an incredible number of 5 lines in the code :) Little update in the GUI, now in grape flavor: grapeGui.png

Alright, got the copy filtered ROMs to folder part working and I'm testing it now. Seems to work great. I'm adding an option to copy CHDs, just roms or both (copying CHDs is very time consuming btw... huge files). I'm getting a little over 2700 roms as a final result, after all filters (except for "imperfect" (games that work, but with glitches in sound or GFX, which are playable anyway). New beta getting closer to be released. -Kris

Hey Antropus... just wanted to bring this conversation to your attention to see if you might know the best way to add an individual clone from a merged set. If you have any ideas, most appreciated. https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/troubleshooting/import-clone-from-merged-set#p13563

Definitely doable... but this is very specific. I mean, I don't know many people who still keep their ROM sets merged! On top of that, the purpose is to add what, five, maybe 10 different clones that are preferable to the main set? Something like this could take you literally five minutes to do manually while it could take me more than an hour to code, and I would be doing this for you, since I would not take any advantage of the time spent on it, think about that for a second ;) Now, if you manage to find at least 5-10 people who need this feature really badly, I wouldn't mind adding it :) -Kris