LaunchBox Community Forums

Creating dedicated console-style PC, need advice on startup launch

slvc

CADScott said
slvc said Just an update! I got the computer up and running, hooked to the TV, and SNES through Retroarch working. I'm using my Xbox 1 controller (god is the D-pad awful) and it automapped it pretty well for me. I think the next steps are as follows: 1) Figure out how to exit Retroarch using the controller as I won't have a mouse/keyboard when build is finished 2) Map controller to mouse/keyboard for selecting games in what will eventually be BigBox mode Does Launchbox support point 2 at all? Where I can avoid using a mapper? If I can figure out how to do everything using the controllers I'd be happy, even if it means manually setting configurations for each emulator... it's the actual selecting/launching/exiting a game that I struggle with. Years ago I mapped something to my Dualshock 3 and it was horrible to set up so I'm trying to see the easiest route.. Thank you @fromlostdays and @CADScott !! I'm only looking to get one controller set up for now, I'll worry about two later ha
Both of those steps are very easy in BigBox, exiting the emulator is setup in the settings area, and is done by pressing 2 buttons at the same time, usually start and select. You should not need any mapping software in BigBox, everything is selectable by using a controller, that is what BigBox is built for, controller only use from a couch!
Yep, even LB to an extent has controller support for navigation, but obviously BB is more ideally suited.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SentaiBrad said Also, after reading a few of the posts, I use InputMapper with my PS4 controller and only had issues for a little while with InputMapper not getting exclusive control over my controller, which only effected Kodi. That only lasted a month or two and I had a workaround anyways, but before and after that it has worked completely flawlessly. InputMapper is really super simple. Not as simple as plugging in an Xbox Controller and it just automatically downloading the drivers, but even those drivers are screwed up from Microsoft so it's not ideal either. As per RocketLauncher, my personal opinion is to just stay away from it, there really is no need to use it. Especially now that LB has archive support honestly. That's just me though, there doesn't need to be a second layer, but some users like to utilize it and there is nothing wrong with that.
That was my issue with InputMapper, not getting exclusive mode in Windows 10. I would love a way to fix this, because when it worked the PS4 controller was fantastic. I tried for a few weeks, and could not get it to work reliably. The 360 controller just works for me, but the D pad is awful! I also 100% agree with Brad about RocketLauncher, it is really not worth the amount of time you have to spend on it.

There is another option for exiting retroarch at least. Since, you're using the same controller I am, I'll tell you exactly how I do it. Left Thumbstick = Enable Hotkeys This feature is absolutely great, as it allows you to map emulator functions over any button you want. So if I depress my left thumbstick Start = Exit RetroArch Right Bumper = Fastforward Y = Screenshot Right stick up and down = Scroll through cheats X = Use cheat A = Savestate Select = Load state (you'll want to map loading state to a difficult combination of buttons so you don't accidentally load state in the middle of a game. When my left thumbstick is not depressed, all the buttons go back to normal. Just go from the second RA menu down to inputs, and instead of clicking "User 1 Hotkey Binds" go to "Input Hotkey Binds". Bind a button to the "Enable Hotkeys" option, and bind the rest however you want, including exiting the emulator.

As far as I know I did nothing to change the exclusive mode thing, just one day it stopped acting up. My solution was to end explorer.exe in Task Manager though with Steam closed. With Explorer closed I would plug in the controller, re-boot explorer in Task Manager. If it wasn't exclusive at that point, I unplugged it, closed explorer, plugged it in, waited a few seconds, then turned back on explorer. With InputMapper open with Explorer closed it might not update the log properly sometimes, but it would say even before explorer was back on if it was in exclusive mode. So sometimes the first attempt wouldn't work but the second would, like it needed a flush. This is more or less the problem though, it was a Windows update that kind of broke it and I assumed another Windows update fixed it. I am using Windows 10 as well.

fromlostdays said There is another option for exiting retroarch at least. Since, you're using the same controller I am, I'll tell you exactly how I do it. Left Thumbstick = Enable Hotkeys This feature is absolutely great, as it allows you to map emulator functions over any button you want. So if I depress my left thumbstick Start = Exit RetroArch Right Bumper = Fastforward Y = Screenshot Right stick up and down = Scroll through cheats X = Use cheat A = Savestate Select = Load state (you'll want to map loading state to a difficult combination of buttons so you don't accidentally load state in the middle of a game. When my left thumbstick is not depressed, all the buttons go back to normal. Just go from the second RA menu down to inputs, and instead of clicking "User 1 Hotkey Binds" go to "Input Hotkey Binds". Bind a button to the "Enable Hotkeys" option, and bind the rest however you want, including exiting the emulator.
How did I miss this! That is really awesome, holy crap.

fromlostdays said There is another option for exiting retroarch at least. Since, you're using the same controller I am, I'll tell you exactly how I do it. Left Thumbstick = Enable Hotkeys This feature is absolutely great, as it allows you to map emulator functions over any button you want. So if I depress my left thumbstick Start = Exit RetroArch Right Bumper = Fastforward Y = Screenshot Right stick up and down = Scroll through cheats X = Use cheat A = Savestate Select = Load state (you'll want to map loading state to a difficult combination of buttons so you don't accidentally load state in the middle of a game. When my left thumbstick is not depressed, all the buttons go back to normal. Just go from the second RA menu down to inputs, and instead of clicking "User 1 Hotkey Binds" go to "Input Hotkey Binds". Bind a button to the "Enable Hotkeys" option, and bind the rest however you want, including exiting the emulator.
That is fantastic, I hadn't explored any of those functions, will have to look into that tonight!

SentaiBrad said As far as I know I did nothing to change the exclusive mode thing, just one day it stopped acting up. My solution was to end explorer.exe in Task Manager though with Steam closed. With Explorer closed I would plug in the controller, re-boot explorer in Task Manager. If it wasn't exclusive at that point, I unplugged it, closed explorer, plugged it in, waited a few seconds, then turned back on explorer. With InputMapper open with Explorer closed it might not update the log properly sometimes, but it would say even before explorer was back on if it was in exclusive mode. So sometimes the first attempt wouldn't work but the second would, like it needed a flush. This is more or less the problem though, it was a Windows update that kind of broke it and I assumed another Windows update fixed it. I am using Windows 10 as well.
That was my experience with InputMapper, it seemed to need a lot of intervention when it wasn't working properly, which made it very difficult for a PC which was not meant to have a mouse and keyboard attached. I was almost tempted to go back to Windows 7 and try it, because from what I have seen most of the issues are due to Windows 10 and exclusive mode.

CADScott said
SentaiBrad said As far as I know I did nothing to change the exclusive mode thing, just one day it stopped acting up. My solution was to end explorer.exe in Task Manager though with Steam closed. With Explorer closed I would plug in the controller, re-boot explorer in Task Manager. If it wasn't exclusive at that point, I unplugged it, closed explorer, plugged it in, waited a few seconds, then turned back on explorer. With InputMapper open with Explorer closed it might not update the log properly sometimes, but it would say even before explorer was back on if it was in exclusive mode. So sometimes the first attempt wouldn't work but the second would, like it needed a flush. This is more or less the problem though, it was a Windows update that kind of broke it and I assumed another Windows update fixed it. I am using Windows 10 as well.
That was my experience with InputMapper, it seemed to need a lot of intervention when it wasn't working properly, which made it very difficult for a PC which was not meant to have a mouse and keyboard attached. I was almost tempted to go back to Windows 7 and try it, because from what I have seen most of the issues are due to Windows 10 and exclusive mode.
Yep, but I don't know what to tell you, it's pretty much never a problem for me anymore. I can't explain it.

How did I miss this! That is really awesome, holy crap.
They say desperation is the mother of invention haha. Also, its REAL easy to miss the "Input Hotkey Binds" assuming you even bother to open input at all since the controllers work natively. In all truth I was tinkering and did it once, and then the next day couldn't figure out how I'd done it because "Input Hotkey Binds" is not an adequate title for the awesomeness of the feature. And I agree, it's freaking fantastic. I've used the mapping for A LOT of cores and you will run into some problems. MAME for instance. It has like native mapping for a few functions. One of the buttons for sure resets the rom, another brings up the MAME menu, even if the enable hotkey button is pressed, but I can't remember which one and I couldn't figure out how to change that. If you guys can, that would be awesome. I use standard MAME anyway, but I am a completionist.

slvc said Is there a way to test out BigBox before purchasing?
You will like BigBox, it is fantastic! It might not be as flashy as Hyperspin, but it is incredibly easy to setup and works flawlessly. Jason is working on some type of theme support for BigBox, which will hopefully allow people to change it to suit their tastes, but even the standard theme is great.

SentaiBrad said In the other thread I talk about a bit why we currently don't have a trial too.
(I love the tutorials if you're the guy who did them thank you) Everyone has given me excellent feedback. The hotkey shortcuts I'll have to check out! I understand why there's no free trial and I respect the honesty. Based off what I've read and watched, BixBox should be exactly what I need. Is it wonky at all with the controls or is there any additional basic setup I may need? All I want is to turn on my computer, pick PS2 or N64 and start playing, and everything I've followed on other sites gives conflicting information. This is the first forum where I've gotten clear answers, so thank you, community.

slvc said
SentaiBrad said In the other thread I talk about a bit why we currently don't have a trial too.
(I love the tutorials if you're the guy who did them thank you) Everyone has given me excellent feedback. The hotkey shortcuts I'll have to check out! I understand why there's no free trial and I respect the honesty. Based off what I've read and watched, BixBox should be exactly what I need. Is it wonky at all with the controls or is there any additional basic setup I may need? All I want is to turn on my computer, pick PS2 or N64 and start playing, and everything I've followed on other sites gives conflicting information. This is the first forum where I've gotten clear answers, so thank you, community.
As Brad said setup in BigBox is very simple, and as long as you setup the emulators to work with your controller, then there is no problem with a simple machine that can be switched on and operated from the couch with a controller. I have 38 Platforms, over 8000 games and 10 different emulators, and all of them work without the use a of a keyboard or mouse. I can start a game, exit and return to BigBox and go to a completely different system easily with just the controller, then shut down or sleep the PC until I want to play next time.

CADScott said
slvc said
As Brad said setup in BigBox is very simple, and as long as you setup the emulators to work with your controller, then there is no problem with a simple machine that can be switched on and operated from the couch with a controller. I have 38 Platforms, over 8000 games and 10 different emulators, and all of them work without the use a of a keyboard or mouse. I can start a game, exit and return to BigBox and go to a completely different system easily with just the controller, then shut down or sleep the PC until I want to play next time.
Made even easier now that BigBox has those shut down controls. ;)

@Fromlostdays that gem on setting up the hot keys is awesome thanks for that. That information needs its own post that is sticky people can set that up on their controller. I only mapped the exit so far but plan on getting a little further into after I finish school tonight.