LaunchBox Community Forums

Creating dedicated console-style PC, need advice on startup launch

slvc

Okay! BigBox it is once I get the initial setup, you've all convinced me. I am definitely considering getting Kodi to launch on Boot with the BigBox addon. I'll have all of my favorite things in one place! Finally, the media center of my dreams haha

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all! I'm trying to build my first console-pc (Win 8.1+Launchbox+xbox360 controller) but i'm having some issues; what i want to do is: 1) power on my pc directly in Launchbox (done! Launchbox autostart after win starts), 2) play the game(s) i want (pretty easy! various emulators and Steam perfectly working) 3) power off pc when finished. My problem is on 3: to power off my pc i have to exit/minimize LB and power off via Windows. The only way i was able to do that is by using Xpadder (autostart with windows) configured with a secondary profile that pop-up the menu of windows so i can select power-off. Also, if i try to replace explorer.exe with LB, Xpadder doesn't autostart. I know i'm missing something... where is/are my error(s)?

SentaiBrad said Without an external program Big Box has proper shut down controls built in, otherwise you'll need a 3rd party app that does that sort of thing.
oh! So Big Box has this feature built-in? And i can also exit from every emulator (if i have understood what is said in another topic) pressing a combination of buttons? Suddendly Big Box is becoming mooooore interesting to me.....

Yep, BigBox is designed to never need a keyboard and mouse. You can exit from emulators with the 360 controller by pressing the Back and Start buttons at the same time by default, though these buttons can be changed in the settings. You can also shutdown, sleep or reboot your PC through the BigBox menus.

I enabled Hotkeys in RA and it works great only one thing I don't like is once I set L-Thumb and start to exit the escape key on my keyboard no longer exits the program. That kind of sucks because I would like to have the option for both to work.

For someone who wants keyboard support as well, yes, that does suck. It shouldn't take away keyboard support completely, by the way. You should still be able to use ESC... IF you press in your thumbstuck on the controller to enable hotkeys. The other thing to note is that you should have restored keyboard functionality if the controller isn't connected. Small consolation, I know. I don't want to use the keyboard so it never bothered me, but I can see it being annoying.

Found a solution you have to set a key to be your hotkey hold button (don't make it Ctrl as that combined with Esc will pull up your start screen in Windows 10 which is kind of weird since every keyboard I own has its own dedicated button to do just that but I digress). I ended up going with shift+esc to close but really I might as well just keep using Alt+F4 if I have to use a combo anyway it would be nice if it just reverted to normal with no controller detected but it is what it is.