LaunchBox Community Forums

Commodore Amiga and how to Emulate it.

weltall

@weltall If you can get the WHDLoad games collection, FS-UAE will load them easily, just make sure to get the latest version, which is FS-UAE 2.7.13dev. A1200 kickstart should be enough to run them.

Thanks a lot @Bil for pointing out the dev version. I actually was using the latest stable one, since I would not know if the dev one would be working. I will give it a try now. If anything, I still do not know much about how Amiga works, but at least thansk to WinUAE I know a bit more now.

Hey, thanks Bil! Actually you were the one I saw talking to the dev, so thank you for trying to get the emulator updated to be a bit more LaunchBox friendly!! FS-UAE seems like it should be the perfect Amiga solution and I would love to do a tutorial on it and add it as the default emulator. The documentation is pretty great, just not in our area.

Ok something I want to ask. From what I got from WinUAE, in order to load the WHDLoad games, I need to have an actual WHDLoad installation inside a virtual hard drive, so it can load them, right? I am guessing I should do the same thing for FS-UAE? I am guessing that might be a given. I am currently reading about installation of ClassicWB. It looks so nice, but is it better than the Amiga WB 3.1 I have seen up to now? By better I mean it if plays more games and it faster or at least as fast. XD

weltall said Ok something I want to ask. From what I got from WinUAE, in order to load the WHDLoad games, I need to have an actual WHDLoad installation inside a virtual hard drive, so it can load them, right? I am guessing I should do the same thing for FS-UAE? I am guessing that might be a given. I am currently reading about installation of ClassicWB. It looks so nice, but is it better than the Amiga WB 3.1 I have seen up to now? By better I mean it if plays more games and it faster or at least as fast. XD
no fs-uae will run the whd games straight off it sets the virtual hard drive up etc automatically just use fs-uae-launcher.exe the whd game must still be zipped fs-uae will do the rest(a amiga 1200 pre set up) just open it once to select full screen

Ok I always presumed that zipped meant the .zip file and not the .lha file. Not only that, but I was trying to load the lha file as a floppy and not a hard drive. What a double failure... at least I learned how to install WB. It was a nice experience! But damn! FS-UAE with a simple registration it offers a database to not even the need to run the slave is needed :D What and awesome thing! Not only that, but it fixes the settings, so the game works perfectly. If it was any more easy, the computer would know what game I want to play and run it, before I even think about it :D @orac31 and @Bil Thank you so much for helping me on this and steering me to the right direction. @SentaiBrad You literally just have to download FS-UAE (I got the portable version), log in the FS-UAE (after registering on the site of course) so it will download the game database and then it will play the games, even if you just drag and drop the files on the exe. I tested that with a handful apf, ipf and lha files. Not only that, but like you mentioned it would normally have video and audio problems, but with the database of FS-UAE ALL the games I tried, run perfectly fine.

Yeah, I too when was trying FS-UAE, was trying to do it all manually. But now I was reading on their documentation in their page and it mentioned that. I am sure after this, you will definitely change the suggested Amiga Emulator to FS-UAE. I am so happy I finally managed to make it run.. amusing how I sent over two days trying to get it work and the process was.... I will say instant, lol. I am sure after you make a video for it Brad, a lot of noobs like me will be grateful XD

SentaiBrad Since you are eventually going to make a video, I just also wanted to point out that it was work with zip files too. But it must be either zip or lha, not an lha inside the zip. I mention that because some sources give the games is zip format rather than lha.

• 1 month later...
Rincewind said I've been trying to get the Amiga to work and have only just found this thread, @SentaiBrad is it worth me holding on for the video release if it's on its way?
No, certainly not! If you can understand the thread then by all means try and get it up and running. Truthfully I have no clue when I will be able to get the Amiga tutorial up, I am having issues with some things and I just recently got MESS figured out, so we have a lot of stuff to cover again. I know Amiga is a large request, and I will be getting it, but I don't know ecactly when. It could be this next tutorial, it could be another month.

Hello, I succeed in using FS-UAE with launchbox with "fs-uae-launcher.exe" and It works perfectly. But I have problems with multiple disks (for example : xenon 2_disk1 & xenon 2_disk2) : Only disk1 appears in the F12 Menu,so I can't change disk in order to load the game till the end. I don't know if someone knows how to do it? Thanks very much!

sergeb said Hello, I succeed in using FS-UAE with launchbox with "fs-uae-launcher.exe" and It works perfectly. But I have problems with multiple disks (for example : xenon 2_disk1 & xenon 2_disk2) : Only disk1 appears in the F12 Menu,so I can't change disk in order to load the game till the end. I don't know if someone knows how to do it? Thanks very much!
if you use the whd games you don't have multiple disks they are all in one file and its like playing off a amiga hard drive.

Just a few more things to note here: FSUAE (newest version not sure of the dev version) will automatically sync to xinput controller. Its pretty awesome. This alone has me choosing it as preferred. FSUAE is not difficult to set up. You basically just put the kicks in the correct place (and maybe point the emu to them) IPF files seem worthless. I mean I'm no guru on this one either, but as soon as I switched to ADF it was like ten minutes later I had games running. The WHD set IS currently readily available with a little googling. There is an FSUAE core for RetroArch. I can't get it to work, but I've read that people have. I don't plan on trying anymore since FASUE proper supports xinput automatically. I'll switch if it becomes less of a pain. You CAN launch FSUAE through Launchbox using RocketLauncher. This isn't the ideal solution for a lot of people, but it does work.

What I can't do yet is get RL to launch FSUAE + WHD roms. (It works with ADF only as far as I can figure out.) is there a way to have launchbox launch FSUAE with the WHD set (works fine in the emulator itself, by the way, all you do is set up an account with FSUAE and put the roms in the Download folder. Scans for them and everything). Sorry if this has been answered, I've been so busy I'm like snatching time at this point to get on the forums.