LaunchBox Community Forums

retroarch

gizmo

Don't get the Software, get a Split Pack. As for the re-install, try @AutumnSound's link, or you could just back up your AppData, Documents and Save Game folder in your User folder. Everything that would save program settings, game saves etc should all be in here. If a program keeps settings in the Registry then you can't back them up to a new PC... or rather it's not suggested you do that. If W7 was 64bit then when you upgraded the wrong check box must have been clicked or something. I thought that it knew what version to install automatically... but I guess not.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

many thanks for your reply, i have now done my pc to 64bit , but having problems finding a split pack for mame the one i dl last was a torrent at 52gb and it seems that again i got hold of the wrong file , i can find No-Intro and TOSEC but again not sure if i would be downloading the correct files thanks Untitled-14.jpg

many thanks for your reply if i search for MAME 0.173 ROMs split i still cannot find the correct file , if i put in just MAME 0.173 ROMs it comes up with various d/l but no split , so a bit stuck for mame thanks

Merged means that as many games as possible are merged as to not break the game functionality, split leaves no games combined. Merged is a little smaller but is a lot harder to upgrade, you need software like CLRMAMEPro to update properly. A split pack isn't exactly like a regular normal pack (or maybe it is @CriticalCid can correct me), but it can be upgraded a lot easier and it doesn't house everything still. With a Split pack, if you download an Update pack it should just work to drop the update in to the split pack directory and it should work.

I just read your PM back, in terms of Software vs Roms, Roms I know to be the games. Software I am unsure exactly all that it entails, but it doesn't have everything properly if it even has games at all. Again, maybe @CriticalCid can provide more concrete descriptions and correct me.

Just import them in to LaunchBox and you'll be good. Make sure to call the platform Arcade or to check the box during import to use the MAME Data. Then uncheck or change the settings you want for the MAME importer and you'll be good. Essentially download the pack and follow the tutorial from there.

many thanks for your reply all downloaded just got to put them in launchbox , i was woundering when i have done that and it comes up with eg: arcade can you put eg arcade on the submenu of kodi or does it have to go through bigbox all the time thanks for your help and advice

SentaiBrad said Merged means that as many games as possible are merged as to not break the game functionality, split leaves no games combined. Merged is a little smaller but is a lot harder to upgrade, you need software like CLRMAMEPro to update properly. A split pack isn't exactly like a regular normal pack (or maybe it is @CriticalCid can correct me), but it can be upgraded a lot easier and it doesn't house everything still. With a Split pack, if you download an Update pack it should just work to drop the update in to the split pack directory and it should work.
From my CLRmamepro tutorial: Non-Merged: Each set has ALL files it needs. This is normally a waste of disk space because even clone sets have the parentsets included. Split: Parent sets only have the parent files and a clone sets consists of the clone files only. Merged Sets: Full merged sets are parentsets only, which also include all clone files. So you will have every version of the game in just one file. For the most compatibility with FrontEnds I highly suggest Split Sets. But I honestly don't know how LaunchBox exactly imports MAME games so a Merged Set could work as well but I didn‘t test it. And just drag and drop isn’t a proper way for updating a MAME set. Nonetheless if it is a split or merged set. Sure you will definitely break way more less if you do this on a split set rather on a merged one but you should always update only with tools like CLRmamepro.
SentaiBrad said I just read your PM back, in terms of Software vs Roms, Roms I know to be the games. Software I am unsure exactly all that it entails, but it doesn't have everything properly if it even has games at all. Again, maybe @CriticalCid can provide more concrete descriptions and correct me.
A MAME ROM Set only includes all the arcade games for MAME. Software Lists are containing the games for all other systems like consoles and handhelds which can be emulated through MAME since they've merged with MESS.

Ah right, that was it. I haven't downloaded a Software set so I never looked. I also thought split or a normal download was fine to drop an update set in to? We're also using the default list of 172 roms so that we can internalize the MAME names to real scrape-able names. So merged still works, but it depends on what the check boxes during the MAME import want to hide from importing. If something from the merged set triggers the hiding then there isn't anything we can really do about it unless the user lets LaunchBox import everything. So yea, in terms of best compatibility Split is the best choice. Are split sets just "regular" set downloads? If so then why won't dropping in an update pack not work?

many thanks for your replys i did try this in kodi by installing launchbox into appdata of kodi and then went to file manager and created a link from appdata to file manager , then i saw in launchbox a folder called games inside there was arcade i made it a favourite and then created a submenu from favourites but did not work as it seems that it needs bigbox to launch launchbox so you can see the games , will there be a development in the future where we can add game categories to the submenu of kodi and not just launch bigbox to launch launchbox for the games thanks