LaunchBox Community Forums

retroarch

gizmo

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, if you have a 32bit machine but 8GB of ram your system is only using 3GB. 32bit OSes can only use a max of 3GB, you need Windows 64bit. Which core for MAME? The core labeled "mame" with no year should be one of the latest mame versions. Do all of your games have sound issues? There might be some RetroArch settings to change or you need to update your Drivers for your system. To update my drivers I use IOBit's Driver Booster (yes it actually works) http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php If your sound drivers need updating that could fix it, some sound settings in RA and also make sure you're using that regular "mame" core and not MAME 2010 or 2014. That said, try a few games because the games you are choosing may be emulated wrong. The other alternative if none of that works is to use regular MAME. If you have a MAME 171, 172 or 173 pack then grab the MAME version matching the version of the MAME pack you downloaded, add that to your LaunchBox install, click on a MAME game then Ctrl + A to highlight them all, then right click edit to bring up the Bulk Edit Wizard. From here change the emulator from RetroArch to MAME and see if that makes a difference.

Are you trying to use any shaders at all ? Sometimes a "heavy" shader can cause audio issues. What Mame core are you trying to use ? There are 4 Mame cores and each one is basically a snap shot of a previous Mame build. Also keep in mind that the Retroarch Mame core has a bit more system overhead compared to the stand alone Mame. Personally I would recommend for Mame to stick with the stand alone.

On the second screen shot see where it says 1.96GB usable? You need to get Windows 10 64bit ASAP. You're losing 6GB of RAM. As for RetroArch, watch the tutorials I cover RetroArch a lot and the MAME tutorial. I would say to get a .171-.173 MAME Pack and get the corresponding MAME. The reason why you're having Sound issues is most likely due to incompatibility.

Using just the "Mame" core without any years after it should be fine for his romset. My bet as to the cause of the sound issues is because he has less than 2 gigs of usable ram, there is not enough system resources there for RA and the Mame core to run properly. On my laptop with 4 gigs of ram I cannot use Mame through RA at all but stand alone Mame is just fine if I don't use a shader.

So then the MAME that matches your Pack perfectly is MAME2014. Upgrade OS, then download a new pack and use just "MAME" in RA or get the latest MAME binaries from their site and it should fix your problem. Actually, getting 64bit Windows will probably fix a lot more issues you're probably having, that's the most important.

Yeah definitely get a 64 bit version of Windows but I highly recommend just sticking to stand alone Mame. As much of a pro Retroarch person I am stand alone Mame is the best way to do Mame. Stand alone runs better, handles controller binding per game better and the Lottes shader for Mame is awesome. Retroarch also has a problem with crt / scan line shaders in that it does not rotate them for vertical games. On a less critical note but one to consider on a convenience level is that you can get a no-nag build of Mame or get GroovyMame which has no-nag support built in if you edit the config file to turn it off. Otherwise you are looking at compiling your own build of the Mame code or looking for a pre compiled no-nag build. I have tried to force myself into using Retroarch for Mame and I just kept going back to the stand alone version. I prefer GroovyMame for its lower levels of input lag.

hi many thanks for your replys , oh dear i have to reset the pc ? with regards to finding mame packs i have searched around and seen different sites , when i click on a link to d/l it either says the file is to big or out of memory ? i was given a couple of sites by pm but i dont do torrent files , what i would like is to make a full entertainment system on kodi which i have mabe a build on but without games , so i am intrested on how it is done but i would like the games on the submenu not just on the main menu through bigbox , i have searched other sites but could not find a full complete pack thanks

For other Games No-Intro and TOSEC is your friend, other wise a MAME .173 Split Pack should turn you results, or just work with torrents, they're more simple then you give them credit for. That said, yes you need to upgrade your OS to 64 bit ASAP. Your PC is seriously under performing, by a lot. Did you buy the PC like this and put more RAM in it or did you upgrade Windows from 7 / 8 to 10 or did you install this new? It's rather simple to back everything up, especially have you store everything already on Externals or other internal Hard Drives (I don't know your set up). The only thing that should be on your OS is your OS and software, games etc should ideally go else where, but that gets to be more of a personal preference I guess. The only way you could keep your files maybe is by doing a Windows Refresh, except that wont allow you to install the 64bit version. Think of them as two separate Operating Systems. I would just back everything up as best as you can, Documents, Desktop, etc. You can copy your AppData folder in your User folder. I copy that when I change OSes. I just go to that User folder, back up AppData, Documents, Save Games and anything else I may need and on a re-install I just re-insert that stuff maybe with it cleaned out a bit. Then Ninite.com helps you install programs you may have had faster. That's the best advice I can offer though honestly, there's not way around it.

gizmo said hi many thanks for your replys , oh dear i have to reset the pc ?
There's a nice easy to follow article, information and guide here: windowscentral.com - how upgrade 32-bit 64-bit version windows-10 - Note:: the link is a 3rd party site and has nothing to do with LaunchBox, its users or development team, who cannot be responsible for anything going pear-shaped. Backups, backups and more backups aways.

hi thanks for your replys , the pc was windows 7 but not sure what bit so i thought i would upgrade to windows 10 but it seems that the pc was 64bit and not 32bit , with regards to games all the games are on a external hard drive the only way i know is to completely fomat windows and reinstall , with regards to torrents the reason why i dont use them is when i d/l a movie that i wanted it was not the movie that i thought it was instead it was xxx i was not imprested .so i dont use torrent for this and it can take a long time to d/l , i did try a link that was pm me by another member but it said it would take around 3 days to d/l then you have to up load as well , we are on fibre optic 40mb so we thought 3 days or so was to long , thanks

For the MAME sets I believe that you don't get counted against your ratio they are considered a free download and if a torrent tells you 3 days in the beginning it usually shortens considerably I got the 700GB CHD pack in about a day if I recall correctly