LaunchBox Community Forums

Custom Platforms Not Showing up in List

quazl

I am trying to make a platform called ShmupMAME, which will house all the games that ShmupMAME supports. I have added it to the Platform list and added the emulator to the emulator list and added the Platform to the emulator. When I import rom's, I am not getting my custom platform in the list. Am I doing this correctly? Thanks,

SentaiBrad said You can manually type in anything. All you need to do is run the importer, type in your custom platform, then select the folder for your games. Don't forget to check the box to force the mame importer as well on the last page with the check boxes.
This has definitely got me close, but now none of the pictures and metadata will sync. If the platform is Arcade it doesn't seem to have an issue. It seems to want to pull from Wikipedia, no matter what. If I disassociate from wiki and then do a search for metadata it will let me choose the LaunchDB and then download the right files. IF I do a batch, it will pull it from Wikipedia even when it is unchecked.

Are you on the latest beta? We are having some bugs with the Metadata and Media downloader from the Tools menu. However, if a system is not using the default names then it won't scrape as well if at all. The internet doesn't have system called "ShmupMAME", and it's actually not even called MAME in LaunchBox but rather just Arcade. Even if you tell it to use the right roms, which is hard for MAME unless you know the exact ones you need, LaunchBox filters the entire MAME set automatically to only import based on your check boxes and region selections during the special MAME Importer. That said, it still can find games if the platform is wrong automatically, but then it will try and fix the platform so then your game is no longer in the special category you made. We do have it in the plans to create a feature called "Scrape as" for this very reason. So you can have a system be called what ever you want, and scrape it as a specific system the internet knows how to deal with. In the mean time Custom Filters would work wonders in this case as it's very powerful and you can easily get your desired results from it.

• 3 months later...

I am trying to come over from Hyperspin, got the lifetime license, and i'm stuck on my very first system.  This looked so intuitive on all the videos, but I don't get it.  I'm used to being able to add custom platforms by just editing an xml, or adding the name, and using rocketlauncher for the launching.  I specifically want to add PC Games, which is not just windows or steam games, its everything that I run on a PC vs. a console.  I have no idea how to import my shortcuts to the pc games, so that Launchbox will add the names of those to the PC Games databse.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.