LaunchBox Community Forums

Change "fanart" to just "art"

Deimos

• 2 weeks later...
Jason Carr said Thanks all. I agree from a technical perspective, but users have come to know about "fanart" from Kodi, etc., so they know that it should be used as a background, and it has other meaning behind it. I'm afraid that "artwork" would be too generic.
In that case, why not just call them "Backgrounds"? I mean, I like that less than "Art" or "Artwork" but I had the same thought about the term "fanart" being rather dubious a few days ago - I've been going through and auditing my DOS entries which tend to be lacking in this department, so my only real option is to use a screenshot from the game (which isn't great, but still better than a boring gray background). When I hear "fanart" I'm thinking something cobbled together and posted on DeviantArt haha. As much as you do or don't like that kind of thing, chances are most of what's currently being categorized under that moniker in the DB doesn't fit that description. This is basically all just semantics and is comparatively low in terms of importance... but it is a bit odd Wink