LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox PC

OrochiMishima

Hi

I'm thinking of using/Buying LaunchBox but i have a question

Is there a way to make a LaunchBox PC? not sure if LaunchBox can do that but i'm thinking of building a pc just for LaunchBox that boots to it and shutdown when i close it witout having to deal with anything that is windows.. keyboard and mouse  (after setting up everything ofc).. something like retropie or recalbox, is it possible?

Thank you.

Edited by OrochiMishima

@ UncleDaddySwiss you can skin this particular cat in a number of ways. However, the easy way is to have explorer running but it loads after bigbox does so you only see it if you close big box or if you win key out of the application and load from the start menu.  You could create controller automation that alt tabs and lets you cycle through running apps that can be opened via autohotkey scripts and controller automation etc. I don't like to even pick my wireless keyboard up unless I'm doing some imports. So I use a tool called controller companion (got it through steam for 3 usd) this allows me to close and start big box from my controller and it detects when the desktop is in focus so I can use my controller as a mouse and it also has an on screen keyboard for typing. It works wonders when you load pdf through edge with a plugin as I can load the manual for games and it opens explorer and I browse the manual with my controller and then I just hold select and hit the guide button and it closes it and brings me back to big box. I spent a lot of time doing my automation so feel free to ask any questions.

This forum is probably chock full of people who have done similar things with different tools including custom batch files and autohotkey scripts etc. Bet there is a gold mine of info here. I have an Asus G75vw laptop that is dedicated to Bigbox and have it pretty much running as if it were a dedicated emulation console with no need for a mouse keyboard setup. You could likely generate an AHK that would look for the window class for bigbox and have it open automatically upon a crash or something as well. Thankfully BigBox is very stable for me even though I've been running beta for ages, so that's probably not something I would think you would need.

Edited by Zeromod

On 14/08/2016 at 2:22 AM, UncleDaddySwiss said:

May be a dumb question, but how do you switch between programs if you don't see a Windows interface? 

I can set that up with controller compainion, but i never need to switch between programs, kodi is the main frontend, i launch what i need from kodi then one im finshed with that programe i close it and it goes back to kodi..... Altho now you have mentioned it it maybe actually handy if it did implement an Alt tab feature with controller compainion so i can switch from bigbox/an emulator to kodi so i can play music or change the song if i dont like it... ima seth that up when i get home lol.

On 13/08/2016 at 4:59 PM, Mute64 said:

Yea i have a custom .bat file that launches Kodi,steam,ps3 bluetooth remote,Shadowplay and controller compainion and yes it launches b4 explorer.exe so you never see Windows 10/explorer.

Would you be willing to share ? :D:D

On 8/14/2016 at 11:26 PM, Mute64 said:

I can set that up with controller compainion, but i never need to switch between programs, kodi is the main frontend, i launch what i need from kodi then one im finshed with that programe i close it and it goes back to kodi..... Altho now you have mentioned it it maybe actually handy if it did implement an Alt tab feature with controller compainion so i can switch from bigbox/an emulator to kodi so i can play music or change the song if i dont like it... ima seth that up when i get home lol.

That sounds awesome, I should set something like that up.

Zeromod- Thank you as well for the info!

Edited by UncleDaddySwiss