LaunchBox Community Forums

Can't import Colecovision Roms

breite07

Hello,

I haven't been able to import anything into Launchbox successfully (just purchased BigBox about an hour ago so I'm determined to figure it out).

I thought I would start with something simple (Colecovision) (small Rom files) but can't get that working.

(Note - I have fully configured Hyperspin for most platforms so I'm not a complete idiot ;-)

Here I s what I am doing:

I select import ROM's.

Select folder containing Colecovision ROM's

Select Colecovision as the Platform

Specify MAME as the Emulator

Hit Next, Select options to import everything possible

Result is always 0 files imported.

I looked for a Launchbox YouTube video on setting up Colecovision but there doesn't appear to be one.

Thanks for any help!

Ok I think I might know the problem and it has to do with the Mame importer tool.

At the screen where you can choose to skip clones, import originals and import all clones, choose to import all clones.

I used Mess and not Mame for my emulator so I did not get that screen on my import.

11 hours ago, breite07 said:

Hey - I thought you might be on to something but no luck.

I selected import all clones and deselected all option to skip genres but it still doesn't work. 0 files imported.

Could it be that MAME isn't a viable emulator for Colecovision? 

I thought Launchbox would give me a recommendation on the preferred emulator and download link but I didn't see that either.

Try importing with a different emulator and then bulk editing the emulator field after to avoid that Mame importer window.

Like I said  before, I use Mess for my oddball systems emulator that have no or very little in terms of emulator options. Mess and BizHawk both seem to so Colecovision very well from what I have seen, there could be others but I haven't really looked into them.

Hey,

Per your advice, I went with MESS v.159 and was able to import the files without any issues.

I thought MESS was integrated into MAME a few versions back so I thought I might run into the same problem.

I don't think the import module for the MAME emulator knew what to do with non-arcade rom sets.

Thanks for the help!

Glad you got it sorted out.

Yeah Mess and Mame have been merged back together officially but because it is open source you can still get up to date versions of Mess that are separate. In fact I actually have a 174 Mess installed just for systems which lack any really good choices in emulator such as NeoGeo CD, Colecovision, Atari 5200 and X68000.

Just to warn you ahead of time on the 5200, the emulation itself seems fine enough but for some reason on some games (Moon Patrol for example) the 2nd button doesn't work. And X68000 emulation while it works, loading the games through Launchbox requires a bunch of extra work because of the need to mount multiple disks simultaneously for many games.