LaunchBox Community Forums

The XBox One Controller drivers are crazy in Windows 10.

Norfair

Hi.

I've bought a The XBox One Controller (the 2016 version), with the Wireless Adapter for Windows 10.

The drivers seems to work differently when connected wireless or by USB cable.
One apparent difference is that the analog triggers are registered as a single axis (Z axis) when connected by USB cable. Then connected wireless the triggers have two separate axes (Z axis and R axis). But the drivers seems to work differently too.

Problems when connected wireless:
1. Launchbox/BigBox doesn't recognize the controller at all.
2. Retroarch freeze when using the controller in the GUI.
(Other things work fine, like AutoHotKey and other emulators)

Problems when connected by USB cable:
1. AutoHotKey doesn't work. After a while I found out that AutoHotKey only register keys when the actual AutoHotKey application is focused.
(Launchbox/BigBox recognize the controller, Retroarch works, other emulators work)

The controller works better when connected by USB cable, but I don't want to use the cable and even with the cable AutoHotKey doesn't work.

Does anyone know anything about this?
Is there anything I can do?

The X1 controller is great but i do not use it on my main "ARCADE"  rig because of the inconsistency and problems that come with it. its so frustrating because i really what it to be my main driver.  

so yea for reliability i use the ole x360 controller until the X1 drivers sort there shit out.

Edited by Mute64

It's strange that Microsoft can't make better drivers for their own operating system.

My Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2 (which is over 10 years old) works perfectly in Windows 10.

Which are the best and most compatible gamepads for emulation on Windows 10?

I'm thinking about buying something else.

Are those Logitech pads using the XBox 360 drivers I have the wireless F710's and they use the XBox drivers.

At that price they better have their own drivers.

Actually I think it is more expensive because it is more rareI know it is older than the F710 is after doing some research.

Edited by DOS76

38 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Are those Logitech pads using the XBox 360 drivers I have the wireless F710's and they use the XBox drivers.

At that price they better have their own drivers.

Actually I think it is more expensive because it is more rareI know it is older than the F710 is after doing some research.

Wow, you can still buy the Cordless Rumblepad 2? I can't remember what I paid for it ten year ago, but it wasn't that much.

I have installed the Logitech Gaming Software (v5.10) and it works everywhere.

How do you mean the F710 uses the XBox drivers? So theres problem with the F710 too?

Edited by Norfair

No for the F710 it uses the XBox 360 drivers not the XBox One drivers. All you have to do is plug them in and go to device manager and install the drivers from a list of Windows signed drivers and you are good to go they work great better than 360 because the dpad is better IMO.

• Like 1

I've had mine for years when Windows 8 came out I had a period where they wouldn't work and got other controllers but they are working great in Windows 10. I think for $40 on Amazon they are worth getting if you are looking for affordable wireless controller.

There is a setting in BigBox to change controller options, scroll through them and it will list either as "Xbox wireless controller" or "Bluetooth XINPUT" or something similar, I had the same issue until I changed that setting and it worked perfectly. (I am using the Xbox One S Bluetooth Controller but I imagine it is the same for the other one)

No idea why that option is there, but it works with the BT controller. The developer of WinUAE also responded to my question as to the support of Xbox One Bluetooth controllers here - http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=83878

I had to add the -norawhid switch to WinUAE in order to get it to detect the pad. For whatever reason someone at MS decided not to use the same "protocol ?" as the X360 controllers do.

8 hours ago, locvez said:

There is a setting in BigBox to change controller options, scroll through them and it will list either as "Xbox wireless controller" or "Bluetooth XINPUT" or something similar, I had the same issue until I changed that setting and it worked perfectly. (I am using the Xbox One S Bluetooth Controller but I imagine it is the same for the other one)

The controller isn't listed at all in wireless mode, that's the problem (it's only listed when connected by USB cable).

I actually have Bluetooth on my computers motherboard, but it's disabled. Maybe the Bluetooth connection is better. I'll try that. 

• 2 months later...

Two month later I finally realized that the drivers wasn't completely installed. The wireless usb dongle was installed correctly, but the actual controller had some generic driver when in wireless mode.

Now I only have one problem left. The AutoHotKey integration in LB doesn't work. The input from the controller isn't registered at all.

Has anyone successfully set up a Xbox One Controller with the AutoHotKey integration?

i was thinking about trying the new xbox one s wireless controller, but i'm expecting there will be lots of issues and reconfigurations. there also seem to be some tricks to get it working properly in win 10 anniversary or higher (only os supported) by installing some controller app, rebooting and letting it then detect the controller to update the firmware and/or drivers. i also read about the trigger problems you mentioned.

12 hours ago, Norfair said:

Two month later I finally realized that the drivers wasn't completely installed. The wireless usb dongle was installed correctly, but the actual controller had some generic driver when in wireless mode.

Now I only have one problem left. The AutoHotKey integration in LB doesn't work. The input from the controller isn't registered at all.

Has anyone successfully set up a Xbox One Controller with the AutoHotKey integration?

What part isn't working for you? Just curious as I spent like a week pulling my hair out trying to figure out the 360 Guide button. Ended up being a combination of things.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found a solution for my Xbox One Controller (XOC).

First, I can explain what I've been trying to do with AutoHotKey. I want to use combinations of multiple gamepad buttons for exiting the current game and for save/load state. I was able to set this up with my old Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2. AutoHotKey can take input from the Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2, but not from the XOC (I don't know why).

I really wanted this to work with the XOC, to use this as my primary gamepad.

Now, to the solution. I use Xpadder to translate button presses from the XOC to keyboard input (but Xpadder don't which emulator is running). I then translate the keyboard input from Xpadder to the correct keyboard input for the current emulator with AutoHotKey. I know, this sound complicated, but it actually work.

I can explain better with an example. "I run a game in Retroarch and want to do a save state":

I hold "Right Trigger" and press "Left Thumb". This will make Xpadder send "Ctrl+S". Then AutoHotKey will send RetroArch's key for save state "F2":

;Save State

^s::

{

Send {F2 down}

Sleep, 50

Send {F2 up}

}

Return

Woah, that's more complicated than what I've been doing. I use RetroArch's built-in "Hotkey Enable" button feature for this type of stuff.

The problem I was trying to solve was that the Playstation DualShock controller is almost a perfect 1:1 mapping for the Xbox controller, with only the Guide button as an extra one.

In RetroArch I set the Guide button up as the "Hotkey enable" button, and then have the bumpers & triggers mapped to fast forward, rewind, and save & load. To use these in-game, I have to hold the Guide button and then press like Left Trigger to Rewind (for example). It was a little weird to get used to this setup at first, but it does the trick for me and it's 100% just using RetroArch's native functionality, so I didn't have to even use an AHK script or anything.

14 hours ago, DivinityCycle said:

Woah, that's more complicated than what I've been doing. I use RetroArch's built-in "Hotkey Enable" button feature for this type of stuff.

The problem I was trying to solve was that the Playstation DualShock controller is almost a perfect 1:1 mapping for the Xbox controller, with only the Guide button as an extra one.

In RetroArch I set the Guide button up as the "Hotkey enable" button, and then have the bumpers & triggers mapped to fast forward, rewind, and save & load. To use these in-game, I have to hold the Guide button and then press like Left Trigger to Rewind (for example). It was a little weird to get used to this setup at first, but it does the trick for me and it's 100% just using RetroArch's native functionality, so I didn't have to even use an AHK script or anything.

That sounds like a nice solution, if you only use Retroarch. I wanted this to work with every emulator.

I would like to use the Guide button too, on the XOC, but I think it's unmappable. I haven't found a way to use it.

I have made some changes since my previous post. I switched from Xmapper to Antimicro (which is free and has similar functionality). And now I hold both triggers, and press a third button for a command.