LaunchBox Community Forums

The XBox One Controller drivers are crazy in Windows 10.

Norfair

On 11/29/2016 at 1:44 PM, ckp said:

Yes, I use autohotkey a lot and it still works fine when using my xbox one controller, just like it did with my xbox 360 controller. But there is an odd bug with ahk and controller automation using either controller and that is that if you exit a game/emulator using controller automation and you have an ahk code to kill Xpadder when exiting (for some emulators i use ahk to start xpadder and exit xpadder on close), it will not run that kill Xpadder code. This particular part will only run if you exit using the keyboard escape key (or escape button if assigned to the controller). That really bothers me, so I filed a ticket several weeks ago about it. All other things I've tried including ahk code to stop nomousy.exe works just fine for me using controller automation or keyboard escape key. 

Woohoo! This is no longer an issue for me. I finally figured out why this was not working.

There was a combo key set to alt-f4 in my Xpadder profile and it was set using the same buttons that I have set in LB controller automation to escape out of the game/emulator! After removing that, since it's not needed with controller automation, my ahk to kill Xpadder on exit works just fine now!

13 hours ago, ckp said:

I'll take a look at my magic driver version and post it. Everything works.

I still can't use AHK with any of my two Xbox One Controllers. Launchbox/AHK doesn't read any input when Launchbox is unfocused (only when in focus). But this is working for you?
When you say "driver", do you mean the Windows driver in the Device Manager? Or do you mean the controllers built in firmware in the Xbox Accessories app?

When I got my new Xbox One Controller I noticed some minor hardware differences compared to the old. Both are the new version with the built in 3.5mm jack, but I think my "old" controller came out in 2015 and that the new one is a slightly updated 2016 version.

Both are updated to the latest driver and firmware. The driver name is different, but it seems to be the same driver (version number match exactly). The firmware seems to be different (not the same version number). 

Xbox One Controller (2015 version):

Driver Name: Xbox One Wireless Controller

Driver Version: 10.0.14393.103 (2016-08-19)

Firmware (Xbox Accessories app): 2.3.2

Xbox One Controller (2016 version):

Driver Name: Xbox Wireless Controller

Driver Version: 10.0.14393.103 (2016-08-19)

Firmware (Xbox Accessories app): 3.1.1

Which driver/firmware versions do you have?

Edited by Norfair

So, if I try to use my controller in Launchbox or Bigbox it is in focus and works fine, otherwise I don't have any reason to use the controller if I'm not in LB focus. So, this is a non issue for me. In fact, I would not be happy if my controller only worked inside LB, if I wanted to use it outside LB as well. So, for me anyway, it should only work with the app in focus, but that's just me.

When I say driver, I mean the "driver" for the controller. I bought mine just recently, so I assume it's a "2016" version but I have no idea. I'll check the driver version when I get a chance tonight or tomorrow and post that version.

As for the controller's firmware, I have no way of knowing what it is since I have not installed the xbox accessories app and I don't plan to at this time.

I never tried bluetooth on my xbox one because I don't like bluetooth and I want to be able to connect more than 1 xbox one controller at a time, so I use the real Microsoft usb wireless adapter.

I read a lot of nightmare stories about the xbox one, but for some strange reason mine just works with everything I want just like my wired xbox 360 controller did, so I really have no experience with all the issues I read about. I didn't install anything for this controller. I simply plugged it in, Win 10 automatically installed the driver for me and it just worked.

The only thing out of the ordinary that I did was to stop xboxstat.exe from running at startup because mine is apparently not compatible with xbox one and would throw up an error on boot. I believe that file would get updated with a good one if I were to install the xbox accessories app, but since everything works fine, I don't want to install it. 

I sure do hope Microsoft will get this all sorted out for people like you, because it sounds ridiculous and I'm sure sorry that people like you are stuck in such a bad situation for so long when you paid good money to have a working controller.

15 hours ago, Norfair said:

Launchbox/AHK doesn't read any input when Launchbox is unfocused (only when in focus). But this is working for you?

No my controller does not control LB gui when I have focus in another app or out of LB, but I would not expect it to. 

Unless @Jason Carr specifically coded this to work somehow, it's surely not the fault of the xbox one controller.

Same for games. If the game developer doesn't do something specific for a controller to work with it when not in focus, it should not.

So, I'm curious what really isn't working for you? Can you navigate LB when it is in focus? If so, I think it's working as designed.