LaunchBox Community Forums

Should I even bother with Dreamcast, Sega Saturn or PS2?

luger81

That should work but just for shits and giggles try through Launchbox and if that doesn't work just run the mednafen.exe and see if that generates some extra files and folders and re try the game again.

If that doesn't work I am at a loss because if you have the bios in the folder with the mednafen.exe and your image works through Mednafen_Saturn RA it should definitely work with the stand alone.

I've decided to use NullDC for all of my DC games since DEmul is slow and choppy as heck (with everything). Also, I'm using SSF with Rocketlauncher through LB for Saturn. :) I'm following Simply Austin's Guide (below). Then there's another video about importing RL settings to LB by him as well. I should be good after that.

On 9/6/2016 at 1:16 AM, luger81 said:

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant load them through RA through LB, That works but slowly. Stand alone Mednafen doesn't work through anything

To be clear, when you load the Dreamcast Saturn image through LaunchBox using RetroArch, which *core* are you using? It sounds like you might be using a different core than the (new) Mednafen.

That would explain why it works, but slowly. Yabause core is less picky than the new Mednafen, but also significantly slower.

Edited by timekills
Meant Saturn image; typed Dreamcast...

On 9/9/2016 at 10:12 AM, timekills said:

To be clear, when you load the Dreamcast image through LaunchBox using RetroArch, which *core* are you using? It sounds like you might be using a different core than the (new) Mednafen.

That would explain why it works, but slowly. Yabause core is less picky than the new Mednafen, but also significantly slower.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reicast core for Retroarch for Dreamcast

53 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Yeah Dreamcast is a typo I think and he is referring to Saturn based on the rest of the text.

Yeah, he meant Saturn. I still can't do it through Retroarch. The only game I've gotten to work for Saturn was Sonic 3D Blast and that was through SFF and Retroarch.

2 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Sonic 3D Blast works fine in Mednafen for me, both stand alone and Retroarch core. Better on the stand alone with analog controls though.

Saturn is just too difficult and way too many steps to get working for me (until something easier and better comes along).

But it isn't any more complicated than any other system that requires a bios file like TG16-CD, Sega CDor Playstation.

Drop your bios in the right folder and you're good to go. If it isn't working then you have bad dumps, wrong bios or bios in the wrong place, just like any other CD based system.

Yabause supports fewer games and it plays less games correctly, Darius Gaiden for example has no sound effects. SSF requires the same bios and mounting of disk images which is more work.

You will be waiting an awful long time for something more simple to come along.

3 hours ago, luger81 said:

Yeah, he meant Saturn. I still can't do it through Retroarch. The only game I've gotten to work for Saturn was Sonic 3D Blast and that was through SFF and Retroarch.

D'oh; I'd been working with both Dreamcast and Saturn updates in RA. Mixing up the cores isn't going to help anyone.

One comment on Saturn; I was looking at @lordmonkus's YouTube on Mednafen for Saturn, and commented that I could not get the Mednafen core to work in RA, although the games worked fine with the Mednafen stand-alone. I had the correct Saturn BIOS files (confirmed through md5) in the RA/System directory but it would just kick me back to RA (or Launchbox) whenever I'd try to play a Saturn game using the Mednafen core in RA.

Turns out that somewhere along the line my RA stopped looking in the System directory for BIOS file by default.

I posted a quick solution/tips on my site if you need details on how to specify the correct folder for RA to look for the BIOS files. You can set it either universally or per-core.

http://www.timekills.org/2016/09/09/mednafen-core-for-sega-saturn-emulation-through-retroarch/

As above, Mednafen is no contest the best Saturn emulator right now. The RA core is a little limited in controller emulation (IIRC it does the standard/analog but not the digital controller emulation) but that is temporary.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, timekills said:

D'oh; I'd been working with both Dreamcast and Saturn updates in RA. Mixing up the cores isn't going to help anyone.

One comment on Saturn; I was looking at @lordmonkus's YouTube on Mednafen for Saturn, and commented that I could not get the Mednafen core to work in RA, although the games worked fine with the Mednafen stand-alone. I had the correct Saturn BIOS files (confirmed through md5) in the RA/System directory but it would just kick me back to RA (or Launchbox) whenever I'd try to play a Saturn game using the Mednafen core in RA.

Turns out that somewhere along the line my RA stopped looking in the System directory for BIOS file by default.

I posted a quick solution/tips on my site if you need details on how to specify the correct folder for RA to look for the BIOS files. You can set it either universally or per-core.

http://www.timekills.org/2016/09/09/mednafen-core-for-sega-saturn-emulation-through-retroarch/

As above, Mednafen is no contest the best Saturn emulator right now. The RA core is a little limited in controller emulation (IIRC it does the standard/analog but not the digital controller emulation) but that is temporary.

Awesome! Thanks, man. I'll try it tomorrow and will let you know. :)