LaunchBox Community Forums

Overlays same core diff system??

Porl Hendy

Generally speaking you can continue using an older version and just update the cores yeah (I was actually on 1.2.2 for a long time), but subsequent RA releases do bring improvements. In some instances specific cores actually do depend on newer versions of RA though like ParaLLel (which admittedly is mostly broken/preliminary anyway, but still).

I guess I'll have to try downloading a nightly build and try it out with my existing setup and see what happens.

After some testing it doesn't appear that the changes in the nightly builds will actually break my existing setup, so that's good.

I downloaded the 10-06-16 Nightly, copied over my configs and cores and did the same ghetto Windows shortcut test as before and it's working fine.

Bezel Core+Config Shortcut Target Path:

"C:\Path\To\NightlyBuild\retroarch.exe" -L "cores\bsnes_accuracy_libretro_bezel.dll" -c "config\bsnes_accuracy_libretro_bezel.dll.cfg" "C:\Path\To\Rom\Rom.zip"

No Bezel Core+Config Shortcut Target Path:

"C:\Path\To\NightlyBuild\retroarch.exe" -L "cores\bsnes_accuracy_libretro.dll" -c "config\bsnes_accuracy_libretro.dll.cfg" "C:\Path\To\Rom\Rom.zip"

I set an overlay + shader on the bezel one and no overlay + different shader on the other and they were still separate and individually configurable.

I then did one additional test where I used the same base core dll as the one with no bezel, but specified the config file for the bezel, and that worked as well; so in this case duplicating the core dll isn't actually necessary. I've had to do it in the past for splitting up things like different control layouts for the same core, but it looks like in this case separate config files directed to the same core is sufficient. I've just kindof gotten into the habit of duplicating them when I want to split something up like this, whether that's actually overkill for the situation or not...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

After some testing it doesn't appear that the changes in the nightly builds will actually break my existing setup, so that's good.

I downloaded the 10-06-16 Nightly, copied over my configs and cores and did the same ghetto Windows shortcut test as before and it's working fine.

Bezel Core+Config Shortcut Target Path:

"C:\Path\To\NightlyBuild\retroarch.exe" -L "cores\bsnes_accuracy_libretro_bezel.dll" -c "config\bsnes_accuracy_libretro_bezel.dll.cfg" "C:\Path\To\Rom\Rom.zip"

No Bezel Core+Config Shortcut Target Path:

"C:\Path\To\NightlyBuild\retroarch.exe" -L "cores\bsnes_accuracy_libretro.dll" -c "config\bsnes_accuracy_libretro.dll.cfg" "C:\Path\To\Rom\Rom.zip"

I set an overlay + shader on the bezel one and no overlay + different shader on the other and they were still separate and individually configurable.

I then did one additional test where I used the same base core dll as the one with no bezel, but specified the config file for the bezel, and that worked as well; so in this case duplicating the core dll isn't actually necessary. I've had to do it in the past for splitting up things like different control layouts for the same core, but it looks like in this case separate config files directed to the same core is sufficient. I've just kindof gotten into the habit of duplicating them when I want to split something up like this, whether that's actually overkill for the situation or not...

Sorry but where would u put the target path? In retroarch platform settings tab?

It's not something you'd need to mess with - I was doing that on my work PC which doesn't have LB on it; so in lieu of LB, I just created shortcuts in Windows and changed the target path to what I needed in order to achieve the same effect as using LB. Adjusting the target path is basically what you're doing with LB, but LB makes it so you don't have to do it by hand for every game. Adding "-L "cores\blahblah.dll" etc. at the end of the target path of a Windows shortcut is the same thing as putting it into the "Default Command Line Parameters" field in LB - it's just that with LB you're then injecting those parameters into every game you launch for that platform instead of just one specific shortcut (which I was directing to a specific rom file).

I just wanted to be able to verify that the shader/overlay separation still worked in the nightly build of RA but didn't want to wait until I had access to LB to test it :)

Shortcut Target.jpgShortcut Target 2.jpgRetroarch Command Line Parameters.jpg

• 1 year later...

Sorry to semi necro this topic, but I can't get this per core overlay thing to work either. I finally got it working using overrides for each core, but have the same Genesis/Master System issue the OP had.

I renamed the core but when I save the override, the game still saves it just as Genesis GX (so therefore it's still using one settings file for all systems of the core). (In other words, the core names are hardcoded in the DLL, I would have to recompile them with new names..which I have no clue if that is possible)

Any ideas?

Edit:

Okay, I found something onlin that will auto hexedit the dll and make one for each system. :)

All you need to do is download GSAR from http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gsar.htm
Then edit the two paths at the top of the bat file, put the bat file in the cores folder and run. 

All works now - maybe someone else can find this useful :) 

@echo off
	REM Setting the paths
SET "RETROCOREFOLDER=E:\Apps\RetroArch\cores"
SET "GSAR_EXE=C:\gsar\gsar.exe"
	REM gsar website: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gsar.htm
	REM Removing the older modified files
del "%RETROCOREFOLDER%\genesis_plus_gx_libretro-cd.dll"
del "%RETROCOREFOLDER%\genesis_plus_gx_libretro-gg.dll"
del "%RETROCOREFOLDER%\genesis_plus_gx_libretro-sg.dll"
del "%RETROCOREFOLDER%\genesis_plus_gx_libretro-sms.dll"

REM Replace  orig. internal name      new internal name                       original file                                      modified files
%GSAR_EXE% -s"Genesis Plus GX"     -r"Genesis Plus CD"     "%RETROCOREFOLDER%\genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll"   "%RETROCOREFOLDER%\genesis_plus_gx_libretro-cd.dll"
%GSAR_EXE% -s"Genesis Plus GX"     -r"Genesis Plus GG"     "%RETROCOREFOLDER%\genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll"   "%RETROCOREFOLDER%\genesis_plus_gx_libretro-gg.dll"
%GSAR_EXE% -s"Genesis Plus GX"     -r"Genesis Plus SG"     "%RETROCOREFOLDER%\genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll"   "%RETROCOREFOLDER%\genesis_plus_gx_libretro-sg.dll"
%GSAR_EXE% -s"Genesis Plus GX"     -r"Genesis Plus MS"     "%RETROCOREFOLDER%\genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll"   "%RETROCOREFOLDER%\genesis_plus_gx_libretro-sms.dll"

pause

Edited by newyears1978

I had this problem recently. Having RA treat each instance of gens as a seperate core is the best way to go, but what I did instead was set one setup as my "core overrides". Then I went through each game and loaded it with this override, and saved it as a game override, and then I rinsed and repeat with each platform. It doesn't take long if you have a reasonable size collection, but it is not good for full romsets. 

I have uploaded separately compiled GenesisGX cores that Typhon over on the Retroarch forums did. Basically use them for Game Gear, Master System, Sega CD and SG-1000 while using whatever the most recent GenesisGX core is for the Genesis. The separate cores won't be updated often or at all though but there are instructions over on the Retroarch forums on how to compile your own if so inclined.  https://forums.libretro.com/t/i-compiled-some-split-cores/4370/28

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

I have uploaded separately compiled GenesisGX cores that Typhon over on the Retroarch forums did. Basically use them for Game Gear, Master System, Sega CD and SG-1000 while using whatever the most recent GenesisGX core is for the Genesis. The separate cores won't be updated often or at all though but there are instructions over on the Retroarch forums on how to compile your own if so inclined.  https://forums.libretro.com/t/i-compiled-some-split-cores/4370/28

Cool - yeah that's basically the same thing as what I posted, except the batch file will work with any core version so when new updates come out you can just rerun the batch again! :)

Great community though, lots of solutions ;)

On 12/16/2017 at 10:31 PM, newyears1978 said:

Sorry to semi necro this topic, but I can't get this per core overlay thing to work either. I finally got it working using overrides for each core, but have the same Genesis/Master System issue the OP had.

I renamed the core but when I save the override, the game still saves it just as Genesis GX (so therefore it's still using one settings file for all systems of the core). (In other words, the core names are hardcoded in the DLL, I would have to recompile them with new names..which I have no clue if that is possible)

Any ideas?

Renaming core dlls no longer works. You need to separate them by using separate configs (not overrides) as I mention here.

Overrides are fine when you're only dealing with one platform per core, but for things like Genesis/Master System/CD/Game Gear via Genesis Plus or Game Boy/Game Boy Color via Gambatte, you need to use separate configs and don't use per-core overrides.