LaunchBox Community Forums

Commodore 64 loading

dov_EL

The BIOS or games may most likely be wrong in this situation. I didn't encounter perfect play-ability. Also, emulating the Commodore 64 is harder than it should be, and the quick load method with that emulator was one of the best methods I found at the time. I also did this tutorial at a time where I had nothing to do with MESS, so this may be another System I need to re-visit and have a MESS tutorial for it. I'm not sure if it loads the games any differently though.

Actually, in the command line settings compendium that I posted up, C64 actually has a quickload section, but only for 3 file extensions.

c64          cassette    (cass)     .wav  .tap

floppydisk  (flop)     .d64  .g64  .g41  .g71  .d77  .d88  .1dd  .dfi  .imd  .ipf  .mfi  .mfm  .td0  .cqm  .cqi  .dsk

cartridge   (cart)     .80   .a0   .e0   .crt

quickload   (quik)     .p00  .prg  .t64

So no, MESS doesn't really load the games any differently, but you may have a better chance dealing with MESS if you are comfortable dealing with it. I've done two tutorials on MESS already, so realistically just plug in Commodore 64 values and settings with the ones from the tutorial and you should be good to go.

I wouldn't recommend MESS/MAME for C64. The emulation just isn't up to par currently. There isn't an officially released RA core either at the moment. There is a preliminary Frodo core on the Libretro forums, but you have to build it yourself, and it's buggy to boot.

For C64 emulation your best bet is going with a dedicated emulator, for the time being anyway.

Hoxs64, WinVice, and CCS64 are all good options. CCS64 is the one I use. It's the only one of the three that works via Steam Link, and it's got some extremely handy features like auto-warp (maximum 1541 speed) which makes it automatically speed up during disk loading and slow back down to normal once loading is complete. You can also do things like create a save state file and load the state as your "rom" in LB and it'll start up the emulator and game right to where you saved.

It also supports a wide range of file formats for disks, carts, and tapes.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

I wouldn't recommend MESS/MAME for C64. The emulation just isn't up to par currently. There isn't an officially released RA core either at the moment. There is a preliminary Frodo core on the Libretto forums, but you have to build it yourself, and it's buggy to boot.

For C64 emulation your best bet is going with a dedicated emulator, for the time being anyway.

Hoxs64, WinVice, and CCS64 are all good options. CCS64 is the one I use. It's the only one of the three that works via Steam Link, and it's got some extremely handy features like auto-warp (maximum 1541 speed) which makes it automatically speed up during disk loading and slow back down to normal once loading is complete. You can also do things like create a save state file and load the state as your "rom" in LB and it'll start up the emulator and game right to where you saved.

Thank you  !!!

I just checked and there aren't any special command line parameters necessary.

The "Maximum 1541 Speed" option I mentioned is under the "Special" section. You'll probably want to set this to "On - Quiet". Setting it to "On" will still use it but will show a little message box indicating that it's happening. Note that this only works for disk formats like .d64 (which is what I would generally recommend whenever it's available). You can still use warp mode manually with other formats by pressing Alt+F3, but "Maximum 1541 Speed" uses it automatically for disk images.

• Like 1

Ah, this is good to know. When I was doing my research I went for what was being reported as the more accurate emulator, and this scene hasn't had too much advancement in a while. I had just thought Old PC Emulation was a bit of a hard nut to crack. How is CCS64 on compatibility and emulation? I am curious to know as I figured I would be doing updates or part 2's to most of the Computer Tutorials. xD

CCS64 is cycle exact. I've never had any compatibility issues with it. The only problems I've ever had with it have invariably been the result of bad dumps (there's actually quite a few of those in TOSEC).

Once I finish the Amiga video I'm working on, I may do a CCS64 one as well. It's actually very easy to setup and integrate into LB. I'd like to do one on Atari 8-bit computers as well.

One other thing worth noting about CCS64 is that Håkan Sundell, the developer, refers to it on his site as "shareware" but it's really not. Shareware implies that there's some limitation in functionality until it's purchased, but there isn't in CCS64. It's just "If you like this and use it, feel free to send a donation." "Donationware" would be the more appropriate term. I thought it was worth mentioning because I've heard some people say it was the reason they didn't check out CCS64 in the first place. Maybe at one point it might have legitimately been shareware, but it's been in development since the 90's and I think it just got to the point that there wasn't really anything left to add. I think the only updates in somewhat recent memory (the latest is from September 2015) have just been for compatibility for newer OSes (it does work on Windows 10).

Emulation compatibility:

C64 main console:

• 99.9% CPU 6510, MMU 82S100. All imaginable programs should work. The emulation of CPU is cycle exact and considers all strange side-effects.
  • 99.9% VIC 6566/6567/6569. All imaginable graphics modes and effect should work. The emulation of VIC is pixel exact and considers all strange effects, both known and unknown, as it emulates the inner workings of the VIC chip.
  • SID 6581/8581. Nearly perfect regarding the digital core emulation. Approximated emulation regarding the filter emulation and analog amplifier output. The emulation of SID is cycle exact and constructs fully synthetic samples in 8 or 16 bits resolution.
  • 99.9% CIA 6526. All features of the I/O circuits. The emulation of CIA is cycle exact.
  • Keyboard. All keys including Restore.

Hoxs64 is a fine emulator. Were it not for CCS64, that's what I'd be using - I prefer it over Vice. It's really just a handful of nifty features combined with personal preference that push it over the top for CCS64 for me. But yeah it's very easy to setup. I actually think Hoxs64 and WinVice both suffer a bit from what I'd call "settings bloat". It's not that those settings genuinely don't do anything, so much as it's just a bit overload/overkill for the average user.

I've never messed with any PC-98 stuff myself. Amiga, Atari 8-bit, Atari ST, C64, and X68k are the ones I'm experienced with (well, and DOS of course if that counts).

As far as a tutorial... maybe ScummVM? Of course, it might be best to wait until the inevitable overhaul (though I don't know when that will be). It's something that does get asked about from time to time. Sega Model 2 maybe? I'm just trying to think of stuff other than just Retroarch cores.

14 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

I wouldn't recommend MESS/MAME for C64. The emulation just isn't up to par currently. There isn't an officially released RA core either at the moment. There is a preliminary Frodo core on the Libretro forums, but you have to build it yourself, and it's buggy to boot.

Ho to setting auto-warp  in HOXs64 ?

2 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

How so? When it's setup in LB CCS64 will launch directly into a game (and in fullscreen once you set it in the video options) and then you're right back to LB/BB when you exit... I'm not sure what else you'd want.

From Launchbox game launch without slow loading ?