LaunchBox Community Forums

Version 6.12 beta 2 freezing

Jeffe

Please help!

Just updated to Version 6.12 beta 2 and I cant:

-go to options (freezes)
-scroll through games (games duplicate then freeze)
-select new platform (freezes)
-select certain items on the taskbar (freezes)

Should I revert to Version 6.12?

Please help!!!!!

Tried to delete the launchbox.xml file and the old config files that were used before the split xml files were created and no luck. Same issue

Tried to load backup xml files and still getting the same issue

Launchbox Freeze.png

Edited by Jeffe

Great idea DOS, but its having the same issue.

What is strange is that it is freezing with the hourglass icon but I can temporarily click minimize or the taskbar options for a few moments before it totally freezes on me.

Do I need to change some of the files in my root directory cause I've been updating since version 3?

Damn, clearing the cache was also my idea. Nothing should be causing this that we know of right now. So clearing out your LaunchBox.xml wont do anything anymore (for testing purposes), it's no longer used. It'll be in "..\LaunchBox\Data" now. Close LB, backup your Data folder (copy then paste it in the same directory) and try again with it blank of all files.

If that doesn't work, then I think Derek might be on to something, your drive may be failing or have bad sectors on it. Open up Windows Event Logger, and look at the giant list of logs it produces. Make LaunchBox freeze and note the time it happened at. Press F5 on the log list to refresh it, and find the logs at or around the time you noted, if there are any. If there isn't any, then it's not something faulting and crashing LB. At least that's without ruling it as a bug, which it very well could be. If it is a bug though, you are the first to let us know about it.

Thanks so much for the great ideas! Here is what I have tried:

-I tried your idea of backing up the data folder and trying again with blank data and I got the same issue
-cache is cleared and backups are cleared and im still getting the issue
-checked the event logger and there is nothing faulting and crashing launchbox (scary thought because all my emulators and several roms are on the same drive!!!) Thank God!
-installed 6.11 on a different drive and copied over the files from the original launchbox
-runs just fine and I was almost tempted to jump in and OCD all over my metadata and get back to work organizing my games but....
-I went ahead and updated to beta 3 (happy to see another beta up) on the new drive and the same issue happened again. My excitement was crushed.

What can I try now? :(

Should I just stick with 6.11?

Edited by Jeffe

1 hour ago, Jeffe said:

What can I try now?

@Jeffe , you could could copy your current Data folder somewhere(from the beta3 that isn't working) and rename to Data_after_upgrade, then try your steps to get to a working state again like you did before. if it's like before you will be working again and don't upgrade if a new beta comes out without a fix for this. Copy your Data folder from the working setup and rename to Data_Good. Maybe you can send both Data_after_upgrade and Data_Good to Jason for analysis (in a zip file)?

then again it sort of sounds like it's not the data files that are the problem since you copied them from a non working LB into a new LB 6.11 install and the 6.11 install still worked. Sort of sounds like the upgrade is changing or adding something else that causes the breakage.

or the 6.12 betas just doesn't like something about your configuration. 

Edited by ckp

@grus2002 and @Jeffe, if you are up for it, this could produce some files that might be able to help understand what is causing the problem:

download and unzip free microsoft tool procdump to c:\temp:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/dd996900.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

In the start menu search for cmd.exe, right click on it and choose to run as admin.

in the command shell that opens, change to where you unzipped procdump:

cd c:\temp

run your bad Launchbox so it's in that bad hanging/freezing state.

while LB is hanging/freezing, run this in your command shell:

procdump -s 5 -n 3 launchbox.exe

When it's done you should see 3 dump files in c:\temp that it created. Zip them up and send to Jason. 

Great feedback! I love this software more! :)

I have removed the new install from my system and got rid of the two other installs of launchbox. I kept the original and have zipped up the data folder for you to take a look at.

I also followed your advice, ckp and have the 3 dumps.

There is a concern, because the launchbox never shows as freezing on the task manager. It continues to run, but the application will not let me click anywhere and prevents me using windows while it has the locus of control. I have to end the launchbox process to get back to the desktop (even though it still shows as running). I have waited for an hour to see it is still loading, but I'm still getting the same issue.

Please let me know what you find and let me know if you need any other specs from my system to help us get to a resolution.

Thanks so much!

Data.zip

Dump.7z