LaunchBox Community Forums

A Great Start

mrhappydude

Just wanted to say an excellent job so far on this product, it has the potential to be great but needs more basic features.

I have included my list just based on my limited exposure to the product and feel free to set me straight if I posted something that is not accurate.

1. Have an Issues Database and a Features Database keep them separate.  It makes it easier to find and vote on features vs. bugs.
  2. Transition Animations/Screens - starting and exiting game
  3. Decompressing Animation/Screen - Show progress with option of cancelling with button press
  4. Importing Games - Wizard needs a back button also the option to pause and save progress.  Technically it should save every record regardless.
  5. More Button Mappings using button combinations.  Every keyboard shortcut or mouse option should have a matching button combination.
  6. Platform Images - Neo-Geo and Final Burn Alpha show as Arcade.  Would prefer if they grabbed the right platform image or have the option to use "Arcade".
  7. Custom Bezels - RetroArch and RocketLauncher have this functionality would like to see one solution regardless of emulator.  And for the love of GOD no TV bezels.
  8. No Background in LaunchBox. I personally don't like this feature where it uses my desktop background.
  9. File Extension Filter - sometimes other files exist in the directory when importing roms, ingore them by using only supported file extensions.
  10. Platform DB - showing all known roms and spellings so can compare what I have vs what is known to exist.  This can be a view option in the Roms List.
  11. Big Box should have no options menu, this should all be controlled in LaunchBox.
  12. Big Box Start Animation and ability to customize.
  13. Cover Flow is too slow on large collections.  The default view is the most resource efficient.

I know that you (Jason) are not a fan or reproducing functionality that exists elsewhere (like RocketLauncher) by the name kinda implies it is a launcher and therefore needs certain functionality that exists in RocketLauncher.

Some good suggestions and are probably on Jasons to-do list like numbers 1 through 4.

Number 6 I agree with a NeoGeo platform but FBA (imho) doesn't deserve a platform since it really isn't one, its a multi system emulator just like Mame is. There is also nothing preventing you from making your own custom platform and creating / getting artwork for it.

Number 8 is already available, just go to Tools > Options > Images >Default Background and set it to Use Launchbox Default Background.

Number 9 is easily done with a file search filter like *.cue or *.sfc for example.

Number 10 is already there if you need to re do a game, just type in something close to what it is and it should populate the list with things closely matching as long as it is in the database.

Number 11 I do not agree with at all, it's nice having some options in BigBox mode without having to drop out to normal mode just to make a simple change.

lordmonkus, thank you for the reply.

Number 5.  I think should be a priority. 

Number 8.  Thank You.

Number 9, it would be better if it was set on the emulator much like rocketlauncher.

Number 10, may not have explained it right or I am still missing something.  I would like to import an xml file and then have it compare to the roms I have and then show me what I have vs what I still need to complete the collection.

Number 11, I think everyone will have some opinion of this.  Mine is simplicity, if I am using big box in my arcade cab I don't want people messing with settings.  Not to mention the controller settings are essentially duplicated because there is for launchbox and for big box.

Another bit of functionality I would love to see and I spent an hour setting up today was the per core configuration for retroarch.  If LaunchBox had functionality like emulationstation (retropie) where you setup your controllers and it updates the settings for each emulator....this would be killer.

In regards to #11 that would be better solved with a lockout feature that can be toggled on and off with a pin code so you could prevent people from accidentally getting in there which I think is on the to do list if it's not already in (I use normal mode more than BigBox mode personally)

The functionality you are talking about like Emulationstation would require an awful lot of work on Jasons end and would slow down all other development for quite a long time. While it would be a nice feature I don't think it's an important one, certainly not one worth putting off other features for now.

Quote from the LB newsletter this weekend:

Features planned for 7.0 include nested filters, platform groups, an internal PDF/manual viewer with controller support, background music, and automatic ROM folder parsing.

Also when you sort the BitBucket page for the most voted tickets you will get a good impression about all the features that will most-likely be added in the (near) future.