LaunchBox Community Forums

Resolved - "Disney's" - Informational

polygonslayer

Hey folks,

What is the policy and consensus on games like Toy Story, Finding Nemo etc. A lot of the time I see them in other databases listed as "Disney's Toy Story" or in some cases "Disney-Pixar's Toy Story". (I suppose it could also extend to some Sid Meier's titles and even SNES games like Garry Kitchen's Super Battletank: War in the Gulf).
I personally do not like this since I don't feel it's actually the title of the game and it bunches all of these games together in the games list, but I'm wondering since I gotten it on my moderation list. I don't really mind what they are in the database since I can edit it on my own collection, but just wondering what the policy is on this for moderation purposes.

Cheers

Edited by polygonslayer
added more examples
  • Like 1

The policy, as we've followed it so far, has been to go by what's on the box.

To be honest, I hate it. Nobody refers to them as "Disney's Aladdin" except corporate PR, and it usually throws off automatic rom importing because no one labels their roms that way.

I think once we get alternate names implemented, it won't be an issue, but in the meantime, that's how we've been handling it.

• Like 1

I got goosebumps when I saw this topic title, all the Disney games were a nightmare when I imported my games as I had to rename all my clear logos, 3d boxes, and videos. At least it's all done now, but I really could have done with the alternate naming solution being implemented sooner!

• Like 1

Yeah, I think it's really dumb looking. However the name change I got to moderate is suggesting replace the title "Finding Nemo" with "Disney's Finding Nemo" which looking at the box is also incorrect. It say's "Disney-Pixar Finding Nemo" (The "-" being a dot).
So if we are going by what's on the box then I'll reject this one and mention it as a reason.

That might actually be a change I made, on purpose actually. xD So some of you caught that, good. No, there really isn't a good solution except for alternate naming, and I can say for a fact that Database changes are coming, the deletion bug for example should actually be fixed already.

• Vlansix changed the title to Resolved - "Disney's" - Informational