LaunchBox Community Forums

Multi console emulator

knightCrawler

I found  BizHawk emulator http://www.emucr.com/2016/11/bizhawk-git-20161105.html this emulator is a multi console emulator that even can use retroarch cores Its working nicely with Atari Lynx but not sure if it works with launchbox since I do not know if it can run with command lines,  the source code is open so maybe somebody can tell if it can run with commands!!  Source: https://github.com/TASVideos/BizHawk

I believe @lordmonkus has used BizHawk so maybe he could tell you. I have no experience with it whatsoever. It looks like it does have some generalized command line parameters though.

What happens if you just setup BizHawk as an emulator in Launchbox, don't add in any special parameters, and then just direct it towards a rom for a supported platform? Special parameters aren't always necessary (although they typically are for multi-system emulators, in fairness). I'm not sure if BizHawk uses any kind platform auto-detection or if you have to actually specify the platform via command line.

I used it for a good while actually, before I finally switched to RetroArch. BizHawk is a pretty great emulator, and yeah it totally works with LaunchBox. It's nice if you prefer the traditional emulator interface as opposed to RetroArch's XMB. Just bear in mind it's a little particular about which BIOS you need for certain systems.

Yeah it works just fine with Launchbox and it is a very good emulator.

From what I could tell (and I may be wrong) but it seems to have a lot of overlap in the emulator cores with Retroarch. Some of the cores are their own while a lot are based off the same code as the Retroarch cores. That isn't to say they are using the libretro cores, its just that they used the same open source code that the libretro guys took as a base as well. Then from there they developed the code so while the original code may from the same base they have built their own version from there. This is of course the way I understood it from what I have read and I may be completely wrong about that.

Still a good choice as an emulator platform if you do not care about shaders and certain other quality of life features of Retroarch.

As far as command lines go I have not used Bizhawk a whole lot but from quick testing of certain systems you do not need to use any to have it work in Launchbox. Everything for me and the small handful of systems just work out of the box aside from bios of course. Configure it all in the menus, specifically the Config menu, the Customize sub-menu is where you enable start in full screen

I'm using the original bios but bios clones might not work.. I'm not into retroarch special effects I just want some basic effects..How many people are really using effects? for me is about emulation of the game not about effects so I'm good the a multi console emulation that Bizhawk offers with out too much extras.

A lot of people use shaders actually and on a modern display they go a long in making the image look closer to what they were intended to look like on a CRT. Just straight up scaling sprites to a 1080 or higher resolution can have a jarring effect.

This is all personal preference though of course and not everyone likes effects.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

A lot of people use shaders actually and on a modern display they go a long in making the image look closer to what they were intended to look like on a CRT. Just straight up scaling sprites to a 1080 or higher resolution can have a jarring effect.

This is all personal preference though of course and not everyone likes effects.

Yeah, shaders are actually why I stopped using BizHawk; there's something almost magical about seeing a Game Boy game playing on a pixel perfect replica of an actual Game Boy screen, or playing Atari 2600 on a simulation of the crappy TV you had at your grandmother's house...

To me it's about breaking up the harshness of the scaled pixels with the scanlines and blurring effects simulating a good quality CRT. The original artists never intended the pixel art to look like it was made up of perfect squares. They took the scanlines and shadow masks of the TV into account when they did the art and those effects create colours and shades that weren't actually there.

http://www.powerup.io/gaming/emulators/retroarch

Scroll down and you will see some example screen shots of some shaders.

Here are some quick screen shots I just took. Now keep in mind they will look different depending on the resolution of your display, higher than 1080 is better due to pixel density so they way they look on your monitor may not be the same as they look on my screen during actual game play.

And yes a real CRT display is better but many people do not have them anymore nor do many people want to deal with them.

Royale-Kurozumi

Kurozumi.pngNo shader

None.pngEasymode Halation (I had to convert this one to JPG, the PNG was too big to view full size without the forums not loading it.)

Easymode Halation.jpg