LaunchBox Community Forums

How to Assign Different Emulators for Certain Games under Same Platform?

Beatlemaniac19

How do you assign different emulators for certain games, but keep them listed in the same platform? I'm trying to build a Mugen collection and all of the games use their own folders with their own executables. How do I tell Launchbox this? LB makes me pick an emulator for the platform as a whole, meaning it wants me to select a standard executable to run all of the games through.

However, as mentioned above, this doesn't work for Mugen bc of the different folders and executables on a game by game basis. How do I configure an emulator path for each game under the same platform without having to make all of the games a separate platform?

Just edit each game individually, you can set each game to run a selected emulator from the dropdown list. Or if are using Retroarch and don't want to have a separate install but want to use a different core, example: Snes9x or Bsnes. Just use a custom command line for that specific game to use the core you want.

• Like 1

Btw I have another question. Do you know of any application that makes it so the window doesn't pop up when loading the game? My Mugen just loads full-screen because I set it that way, but OpenBor looks really ugly. It has a small window when it opens and takes about five seconds to load in full-screen. Is there anything I can put in the additional applications section for each game configuration to make it not look ugly when loading?

If you don't know, it's not a big deal at all. It would just be the cherry on top. Btw, I've read your tutorials and thank you for helping out noobs like me :)

On 18/11/2016 at 8:35 PM, lordmonkus said:

... if are using Retroarch and don't want to have a separate install but want to use a different core, example: Snes9x or Bsnes. Just use a custom command line for that specific game to use the core you want.

I'd like to do this for a Famicom game I need to run with the FCEUM core instead of Nestopia, can you tell me what is the custom system command line required to do this and where should I add it please?

You just edit the game entry in your library and in the emulator tab enable custom command line parameters and instead of whatever core .dll you're using normally for that platform (listed in the associated platforms tab of the emulator entry) enter the one that you want to use instead.

EDIT: *snaps fingers and frowns*

• Like 1

No problem!

Also, in the event that this is something you want to do on a frequent basis for whatever reason, you can create a separate emulator entry for it in LB (naming it something like "Retroarch - FCEUMM" for example) and just specify what core you want to use along with the platform. Then edit any library entries that you want to change and switch to that "emulator".

I've got some screenshots in this thread: