LaunchBox Community Forums

Open - Moderation problems - Issues #86, #46, #179, #210, #105, #168, #266, #274, #300

Petitfool

Hi guys. New moderator here and first time contributing on the forum. A quick message to confirm that I encounter the same issue with a game entry being "stuck" in my moderation queue. Actually from what I see it seems to happen when a person submitted a new game entry without indicating the game title. I am trying to reject it but then I get the "internal server error message". I get this systematically now with 2 entries that I keep skipping for 24 hours. (see attached screen-shots).

I hope you will be able to fix this soon.

Launchbox Dame DB - bug when accepting or rejecting.png

Launchbox Dame DB - bug when accepting or rejecting2.png

• 1 month later...

Hello again! I returned to moderation and have been met with the same hiccup - "internal server error." I want to approve a submission, but I am still stuck even when refreshing and trying again. Any help would be much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

9AM Update:

Determined that one of the reasons why we've been getting the "Internal Server Errors" (which is a catch-all "Something's not right." error) is because we're getting erroneous new game submissions. Somehow, someone is submitting a ton of new games with their release date set in the second century AD, and this is making our database server angry. I'm currently working on automatically deleting these date entries to correct for this in the future. Will update when done.

Update:

Erroneous date problem has been fixed in the dev build. Should be pushed live later today. Will advise.

Currently working on an internal issue that is also causing the above error, as well as new game submissions being sent in without any name (?!) also causing this error.

• Like 1

Update:

The internal issue which was causing these errors to show up has been addressed. Will be uploaded later today, once I'm done getting all of these bloody things sorted.

Now working on another issue (causing this same error to show up) with game image submissions. Stay tuned x.x

• Like 3

Update:

9T1kgIr.gif

*exhales*

So. Due to some errors, which have mostly been patched, some changesets got partially approved. That, as of itself, isn't an issue. The problem is that I spent over three hours trying to debug garbage requests caused by these partially approved changesets, since they depended on some of the prior ones to be processed correctly x.x

In any case, good news! There is no image bug, from what I can see, as most of the errors are being caused by one of the other issues which have been addressed already, meaning they should filter themselves out organically as the moderation system is used.

So, last word before I log off for the day:

1) I'll be back tomorrow at 5h30PM EST.

2) The exception manager I'm currently building to handle all of these issues is currently pretty aggressive. In essence, it locks me into a specific issue until it's fixed, which means that I can't upload all the fixes until I'm done. I assumed I'd be done before 8 PM EST, but it seems like there's still some work to do related to deleting zombie requests and errors with the developers, which means that I can't upload all the changes yet. I don't feel like locking you guys into endless error loops, so I'll wait until tomorrow when I've finished taking care of these issues before uploading everything :).

On 2017-5-19 at 2:52 PM, Vlansix said:

9AM Update:

Determined that one of the reasons why we've been getting the "Internal Server Errors" (which is a catch-all "Something's not right." error) is because we're getting erroneous new game submissions. Somehow, someone is submitting a ton of new games with their release date set in the second century AD, and this is making our database server angry. I'm currently working on automatically deleting these date entries to correct for this in the future. Will update when done.

Well shit, I thought this was a bug with how it was displayed. I saw a few and assumed the user got the year wrong (in that it was showing up as something like "17th March, 199") but then I saw more and more of them and thought it was simply a display error.

Can you not just do a query on the DB and queue itself that is simply - If the date has a year < 1900, null the date field?

• Like 1

Hi @Enverex,

That was my initial thought as well! Turns out that date fields are not nullable once they're submitted, and I'd have to remove that field, remove any and all prior moderation attempts on that field, and then recreate the request and resend it through to get the new game submission setup properly, OR I could simply remove the entire submission.

What I ended up doing was setting the release date to the current date if the DB detects an issue with that field, which then allows the submission to be denied/approved normally. I'd rather have the mod team see that the date is incorrect and reject the change organically (or approve it if they'd rather simply have a date to fix later) than try to duct tape things together and hope I haven't broken anything else in the process :).

@Enverex - You know what? You made me doubt myself, so I went and rechecked the data validation on the database columns, and I'm a moron. That field does accept null values. The issue I was having was that I was completely removing that specific request (i.e. the release year request that goes through the moderation system), which causes a cascade failure of other systems getting the wrong number of requests in for this specific parent request. If I simply null the change out, it'll still get processed normally, but nothing will come from it. Heh. Looks like I need more coffee. 

Good catch! This'll make our lives easier :).

So, quick update,

Currently working on another issue which would cause an "Internal Server Error". Basically, the field that hold the wikipedia URLs has a maximum character size. Exceeding that size causes the server to be unhappy. This isn't an issue when submitting wikipedia URLs, as they are generally under 255 character long, but submitting things like " https://books.google.no/books?id=BzxTtml8Jq4C&pg=PA20&lpg=PA20&dq=Astrocade+Blackjack+/+Poker+/+Acey-Deucey&source=bl&ots=8ZqQ1Tf83v&sig=oeln2nS6mXmuJsbEKdkrpU3DKJA&hl=no&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjO75T2rdnTAhVsKpoKHT-hAW84ChDoAQg8MAc#v=onepage&q=Astrocade Blackjack %2F Poker %2F Acey-Deucey&f=false " causes our current DB setup to crash. Will fix it and advise.

So. Good news. The issue with "games being submitted with no name" is actually an issue which I've previously fixed. The games weren't being submitted with no name, the request containing the name of the game were getting approved, but the rest of the submission wasn't due to one of the errors above, which caused another cascade failure where the system was trying to add corrupt data and crashed. So, that's taken care of too :). We're getting somewhere. Woot woot.

(p.s. I'm going through all the records in the moderation queue at the moment and I'm stuck in an endless sea of Nintendo Satellaview new game requests that are all working fine. Might take some time before I'm satisfied that the errors have been taken care of. If that's the case, I'll push the changes up!)