LaunchBox Community Forums

1080p versions of the Game Theme Videos (recorded HyperSpin themes) are now available on the EmuMovies FTP!

CriticalCid

UPDATE (04/16/2017):

The 1080p versions are now available everywhere! All information's in this thread, except the part about the bonus videos on the FTP, are outdated!

Bonus videos on the FTP:

There’s even more on the FTP than just the 1080p versions of the videos!

I have made a couple of Alternative Themes for MAME games which are basically leftovers when I’ve found better looking themes. I didn’t just want to delete the old ones that I already did so I just put them into a different folder. Maybe you can find one or two themes which you think are looking better than my final choices for the main set.

Also there’s a folder which features video themes for Mature MAME games or some 'sexy' alternatives for games which are already covered in the main MAME set.

Both of these video sets will always stay exclusive to the FTP for obvious reasons.

The following part is outdated:

With this thread I want to inform you guys that there are existing 2 different versions of my newly added Game Theme Videos (recorded HyperSpin themes) and tell you about the differences.

Differences:

Version 1 is currently only available on the EmuMovies FTP. They are my “Master” videos which were encoded in almost lossless quality out of my original recording files. They are in 1080p (1440x1080) resolution and are less blurry compared to Version 2. You’ll mostly notice the difference on text or sharp edges.

Version 2 is directly available through LaunchBox and on the EmuMovies website for free users as well. These videos were scaled down to the native HyperSpin resolution (1024x768). They are around 40% smaller in size compared to Version 1, fitting so better to most internet bandwidths and don’t take away too much disc space.

Why is Version1 only available on the EmuMovies FTP?

There are bunch of reasons why we did this. For one we have decided that the smaller file size is for the most users more important than the slightly better quality and some users won’t notice any quality differences for the most themes at all.

The main reason is that LaunchBox has currently some technical limits in its download manager. It doesn’t support multi-threaded downloads which will cause that the download process for over 2200 videos in 1080p could take up to 24 hours.

But that’s something that will be fixed by @Jason Carr in the near future. So when multi-threaded downloads in LaunchBox are coming we will add downloads for the 1080p versions directly in LB as well.

How to get the Version 1 videos:

You can find all the videos that I did in their original 1080p version on the EmuMovies FTP under: /Upload Here/CriticalCid

To get access to the FTP you have to be a premium member over at EmuMovies. Details for the login are here: http://emumovies.com/ftpdetails/

Edited by CriticalCid
Outdated!
  • Like 7

To be honest with you, I’m not a huge fan of HS themes for Consoles, Computer and Handhelds because I like it more when these platforms look tidy and clean. But you’re not the only person who’s asking for this, so I’ll probably do them as well. But don’t expect anything in that regard before 2017.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CriticalCid said:

To be honest with you, I’m not a huge fan of HS themes for Consoles, Computer and Handhelds because I like it more when these platforms look tidy and clean. But you’re not the only person who’s asking for this, so I’ll probably do them as well. But don’t expect anything in that regard before 2017.

Understandable...and I sort of tend to agree...but the completionist in me makes me want them. I look forward to them coming soon. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update for you guys:

The 1080p versions are coming now directly within the LaunchBox downloader as well, so you don’t have to worry anymore to get them through the EmuMovies FTP.

If you are still using the old non-HD version and you want to upgrade, I would recommend to just delete all the Theme videos you already have and re-download them through LaunchBox again.

Yes, you need to be an EmuMovies premium member in order to get them.

LaunchBox should download them automatically when you import your arcade games for the first time but if you already have imported your arcade games and want to download the theme videos (or upgrade to the 1080 versions) follow these steps:
-    Open LaunchBox, go to your Arcade Platform(s) and select all your games with CTRL+A.
-    Than go to Tools -> Download Metadata and Images.
-    Click through the wizard and deselect all media types except "Video - Theme" on the EmuMovies media dialog.
-    Choose "Yes, but do not replace any existing fields" and let LB download all available themes for you.

• Like 1