LaunchBox Community Forums

Arcade Plataforms and MAME (Neo Geo, CPS1-2-3...)

StuDentBR

I am trying to Add the arcade plataform to my collection but i am getting very confusing, about the games, when i get a MAME pack i am getting the Neo Geo, CPS1-2-3, Konami classics, Sega Model, and so on ? All in one ? I am very confused... If yes, is better to add all under arcade plataform and play them only in MAME ?

The Neo geo (console) roms are  the same that the arcade version ?  Are the games the same ?

Yes, the NeoGeo, and Capcom CPS games are all arcade games. They were not separate systems like consoles are.

It's up to you if you prefer to have them all under one platform such as Arcade or separate them into their own platforms such as NeoGeo or Capcom CPS 1, 2 or 3, or Konami.

Yes, the NeoGeo home cartridges and arcade are identical. The only differences in them were the cartridges themselves so arcade owners couldn't go and buy the relatively cheaper home versions and put them in their arcade cabinets. The home versions did have some extra game settings more suited to home consoles like limited continues but the games themselves are the same. If you have the UniBios and enabled in FBA or in Mame you can actually toggle the game between home and arcade settings along with region.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Yes, the NeoGeo, and Capcom CPS games are all arcade games. They were not separate systems like consoles are.

It's up to you if you prefer to have them all under one platform such as Arcade or separate them into their own platforms such as NeoGeo or Capcom CPS 1, 2 or 3, or Konami.

Yes, the NeoGeo home cartridges and arcade are identical. The only differences in them were the cartridges themselves so arcade owners couldn't go and buy the relatively cheaper home versions and put them in their arcade cabinets. The home versions did have some extra game settings more suited to home consoles like limited continues but the games themselves are the same. If you have the UniBios and enabled in FBA or in Mame you can actually toggle the game between home and arcade settings along with region.

So what are exactly the plataforms under "arcade" systems ? 

Can MAME run all of these without a problem ? 

How do i look for the Neo Geo home catridges (roms) ? any specific term i can use in google ?

Yes, Mame can run pretty much anything that is an arcade game with some exceptions that have very specific emulators such as the Sega Model 2 and 3 emulator Modeler. The only real platforms under Arcade would be the ones you want to make dividing the games up however you want.

There are no specific home versions of NeoGeo games. The chips on the home cart vs the arcade cart are identical, the only difference was that the home cartridge had a single board design and the arcade carts had a dual board design.

Can I just jump in here if you don't mind an quickly ask, how on earth do you separate the different systems from a mame rom pack. All roms names are abbreviated and zipped? So again very confusing. I'd quite like to have these systems separated but don't know how to differentiate between one group of roms and the next. Would the Lightspeed app help in this regard and separate all the roms into the respective platform folders? 

'I've never used it and know the current import feature it offers  doesn't work due to changes to LB, but still wondered is it will sort the roms and move them.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I guess it's kind of related

Lightspeed may help but I have no idea since I have not used it.

But it really is a bit of a time consuming job where you just have to do it manually. You either just import the full set and then go through your Arcade platform and change the platform for games or you separate your roms manually.

However there are a couple of bat files uploaded here on the site to pull out a couple of the collections. I have uploaded a bat file for pulling out a NeoGeo set and @DOS76has upload one for the Sega Model 3 and a set for Demul.

1 hour ago, InfinityFox said:

Can I just jump in here if you don't mind an quickly ask, how on earth do you separate the different systems from a mame rom pack. All roms names are abbreviated and zipped? So again very confusing. I'd quite like to have these systems separated but don't know how to differentiate between one group of roms and the next. Would the Lightspeed app help in this regard and separate all the roms into the respective platform folders? 

'I've never used it and know the current import feature it offers  doesn't work due to changes to LB, but still wondered is it will sort the roms and move them.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I guess it's kind of related

there are separate packs over the internet, but arcade systems are really complicated.