LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox Performance on 7.0 Beta 21

FUBAR

I recently updated LaunchBox to 7.0 Beta 21 and launched it via my Steam Link and found BoxBox performance had degraded.  It's most noticeable in the options menus but can also be problematic in the games list view.  At first I thought it was possible network issues on the Steam Link but I stopped streaming and connected my controller directly to my PC and had the same issues.  My library has recently got larger and thought this could have been a factor as well so I started troubleshooting.  

• I checked the overall performance of my computer and it was fine, nothing out of the ordinary and very low memory and CPU usage.
  • Completed clean install of LaunchBox in a new location upgraded to Beta v7-21 with only one ROM imported and issue remained.
  • Completed another clean install of LaunchBox in another location but left it at stable and only one ROM imported and could not replicate the issue.
  • All settings were left default, other than setting up a SNES core in Retroarch.
  • Not sure if this makes sense but I could only make the lag/stutter happen with my controller, keyboard seems better.  
  • The lag happens when moving up and down in the options and sometimes button presses don't register, can take several presses before its accepted.
  • Moving up and down can skip several times and just stutter from option to option.

The issue is worse on my primary install with V7 Beta 21 and the larger library but still very much noticeable in my testing with only one ROM imported.  

Is there an easy way to copy my library over to the stable version without having to go through the import process?  I would like to test the stable version with a larger library (approx 3200 games) and see if I'm able to replicate the issue.
Also is approx 3200 games considered a large library for LaunchBox?  I have a few themes installed with the video snaps, etc.  Is there something common that can slow down BigBox performance? 

I can make a video if that will help! :)

Thanks,

We determined quite a while ago that 8000 items would start to degrade performance, and that has held true for the most part. You're also one of many to report performance loss in this latest Beta, so I have no doubt that Jason is taking a look at it. The latest stable release, 6.12, uses the old format of XML's if I recall, so there actually isn't an easy way at all to go backwards as it's using the LaunchBox.xml and all of the XML's are now split in the Data folder.

18 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

6.12, uses the old format of XML's if I recall, so there actually isn't an easy way at all to go backwards as it's using the LaunchBox.xml and all of the XML's are now split in the Data folder.

Nope, 6.9 was the last version which used the old XML. So going back to 6.12 should be fine.

6 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

We determined quite a while ago that 8000 items would start to degrade performance, and that has held true for the most part. You're also one of many to report performance loss in this latest Beta, so I have no doubt that Jason is taking a look at it. The latest stable release, 6.12, uses the old format of XML's if I recall, so there actually isn't an easy way at all to go backwards as it's using the LaunchBox.xml and all of the XML's are now split in the Data folder.

It's good to hear that it's been recognized and hopefully gets fixed up soon.  I may try and switch over to the stable release for a while as I've noticed the BigBox performance is much better

6 hours ago, CriticalCid said:

Nope, 6.9 was the last version which used the old XML. So going back to 6.12 should be fine.

So it's possible to merge my library over?  That would save a lot of time, I'd do it if it won't cause any conflicts.  

@Jason Carr I'm happy to report the performance on V7 - Beta 22 is much improved!  I just started to use it but can see the difference right away, I'll test a little more tonight though and report back.

Thanks for the quick updates Jason, really appreciate the work you put in!  

Edited by FUBAR
  • Like 1

@Jason Carr I just finished watching the last broadcast on twitch and I can't tell you enough how happy I was to see the performance gain with the startup of BigBox and large collection during the recorded stream. I also happen to have a 50K collection like cammelspit and look forward to test the next beta.

I hope to join you live on Wednesday.

One can say that today's stream was a very productive day and will no doubt make a lot of people happy.

:)