LaunchBox Community Forums

Laggy performance in Big Box with under 4000 games, is it normal?

edugr10

A lot of lag/stutter anywhere I go on the UI, even using the most simple view mode.

My specs are:

i5 4590 3.30ghz

GTX 970

8GB RAM

3773 games added

I've read that it's common to get slow performance with MANY games, like 10k or more. But shouldn't things be smooth with that ammount on that rig?

It's not *completely* unusable and the lag moments don't take insanely long, but they are very frequent and annoying, enough to render Big Box not worth using imo.

What can I do? There is a transition tab in Options with a bunch of toggles, but I have no idea what I should change/turn off to gain performance.

I think Big Box would benefit greatly from a Lite view mode option.

Thanks

You may need to scroll through your games once to cache in all the images but performance should be fine on your system. If you want to turn off all the transition effects by setting them to none and the coverflow image mirror opacity to 0 that could help. I do those settings just because I prefer it that way and everything on my main system is butter smooth. On my weak ass HTPC using just the normal text list view with all the effects off and 2500 games everything is smooth as well, other views not so much but the system is a toaster, 10 year old AMD 2.2 GHz cpu, 2 Gigs ram and a 1 Gig ddr5 video card.

I figured it could be a image cache issue, already tested that. Loaded an entire platform then went back to it, and it was still laggy. I'll try turning off all transitions and get back to you, but I have to say this is really frustrating. Anything else I can do to improve performance other than turning transitions off?

Btw I also don't use any videos.

Edited by edugr10

7.0 seems faster, but it's still far from great for me. I switched to the most simple view mode and changed every transition to "fade" and it has become usable at least. It still stutters sometimes when I browse through the lists quickly but at least I can use it now.

Thanks guys. All I really need now is a solution to opening Big Box with the guide button and I'm set. Hopefully we'll get something like that in the future.

Edited by edugr10

Interesting, I'm at the latest beta and  I have the same issue with my 6600K + GTX 970 + SSD (Win10). The coverflow is very slow for me too, tried turning everything off regarding transitions and animations. I've also added bigbox to Nvidia Control Panel applications -> high performance, no luck.

Edited by jacobsson