LaunchBox Community Forums

Neo Geo Home Version (AES)

StuDentBR

So i want to add the neo geo home version or AES at launchbox i have watched the video: Arcade Part 4 - Neo Geo and Neo Geo CD - LaunchBox Tutorial

but i did not understand how to make the neo geo roms act as a home console, can i use Final burn alpha or do i must to use mess ? can i use the .zip roms instead or look for the .bin ?

i know i need the unibios, but i do know what to do with, so please help :D

I won't comment on the stand alone version of FBA but in the Retroarch FBA core you can set it to use the UniBios in the core options. In Mame or Mess if you edit the mame.ini file to make it use them, unfortunately I forget how to do it but I did do it once before.

Using the Retroarch FBA core is your best bet.

13 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

I won't comment on the stand alone version of FBA but in the Retroarch FBA core you can set it to use the UniBios in the core options. In Mame or Mess if you edit the mame.ini file to make it use them, unfortunately I forget how to do it but I did do it once before.

Using the Retroarch FBA core is your best bet.

thank you i will try it, so  should i put the unibios file .zip or should i extract and put the .rom inside the retroarch's "system" folder ?

And also which core should i use ? Because there are more than one FBA cores...

Edited by StuDentBR

The actual UniBios file should be inside your neogeo.zip bios file and that file goes in the same folder as your NeoGeo roms. Here's a screenshot of the inside of my neogeo.zip, though yours may be a bit different, but you should have at least UniBios version 3.0 or maybe even 3.1.2016-12-16 21_26_41-2xExplorer Z1 - H__Emulation_Roms_Neo Geo_neogeo.zip.jpgThe way you actually setup your UniBios in Retroarch though is with game loaded bring up the RA quick menu and go into the core options. In there for Bios select Unibios and then a little further down you can select specific version of Unibios if it detects you have multiple versions. Exit out and restart your game, if everything went well you should now see a different boot screen telling you that it is UniBios. At this screen if you press A+B+C buttons all all the same time it will take you into the UniBios config and in here you can set your region and whether or not it is the console or arcade version of the game.

10 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

The actual UniBios file should be inside your neogeo.zip bios file and that file goes in the same folder as your NeoGeo roms. Here's a screenshot of the inside of my neogeo.zip, though yours may be a bit different, but you should have at least UniBios version 3.0 or maybe even 3.1.2016-12-16 21_26_41-2xExplorer Z1 - H__Emulation_Roms_Neo Geo_neogeo.zip.jpgThe way you actually setup your UniBios in Retroarch though is with game loaded bring up the RA quick menu and go into the core options. In there for Bios select Unibios and then a littel further down you can select specific version of Unibios if it detects you have multiple versions. Exit out and restart your game, if everything went well you should now see a different boot screen telling you that it is UniBios. At this screen if you press A+B+C buttons all all the same time it will take you into the UniBios config and in here you can set your region and whether or not it is the console or arcade version of the game.

so there is not an way  to make it already start in "console mode" ?

i mean withou having to press A+B+C every time i launch the game ?

Edited by StuDentBR

Yeah I think you will have to do it on a game by game basis but fortunately it is just once per game. I was not able to figure out how to have it for all games in one step.

Edit: If you prefer to use Mame for NeoGeo and want to use the UniBios open your mame.ini file and look for the line "bios", there should be nothing to the right. Change this line to:

bios                      unibios30

Or if you have version 3.1 - unibios31.

You access the UniBios menu the same way as with FBA, pressing A+B+C together. But you will also need to adjust the actual settings on a game by game basis.

7 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

Yeah I think you will have to do it on a game by game basis but fortunately it is just once per game. I was not able to figure out how to have it for all games in one step.

Edit: If you prefer to use Mame for NeoGeo and want to use the UniBios open your mame.ini file and look for the line "bios", there should be nothing to the right. Change this line to:

bios                      unibios30

Or if you have version 3.1 - unibios31.

You access the UniBios menu the same way as with FBA, pressing A+B+C together. But you will also need to adjust the actual settings on a game by game basis.

Well i just an idea to make this simply don't know if this will work, but is worth to try, if delete we all the other files and only left the unibios or the actual AES bios inside the neo.zip maybe it will work automatic, what do you think ? Do you know which one of those files in the neogeo.zip is the AES bios ?

Edited by StuDentBR

On 12/17/2016 at 0:58 PM, lordmonkus said:

I like the UniBios though, more control.

I agree, the Neo Geo Universe Bios are the perfect solution. You can change almost every Neo Geo game's region and system modes with those. Plus there are other advanced features such as a music player and cheats if you're into that stuff.

Edited by LukeArio

Theoretically could I save game overrides/configs for each game (or copy and paste, changing rom name) so it will launch with my preferred format/region 

when I get round to splitting these out of MAME I would like to have both AES and MVS setup separate (bear in mind I don't use LB/BB just RA)

Sorry for not trying this before asking questions but wanted to get the info for when I do which will be a while yet.

im reading it as the unibios decides the region etc (does this save on a per rom basis?) and RA sets what bios to use.

Depending on answer above

should I set the roms I want as AES to use an AES bios and opposite for the MVS in retroarch.