LaunchBox Community Forums

New Retro Big Box Theme

skainlurmis

This theme is exactly what I have always wanted! I love the TV and the console set up with the clutter of mags and such. This is going to be my main theme when its finished. Amazing work!!! 

One question though, how do you get the platform videos to play on the main menu in the TV? I hear the video but the TV is blank. 

Edited by MatticusFinch1820

I agree with the above. The scanlines are a tad dark. Also any way to add different TVs to match the time period of the platform? (Kinda like Vikings videos). Also, in the arcade section game list, instead of showing the arcade game in a TV, maybe have an arcade monitor? and for the handhelds, maybe have a handheld on the desk playing the video instead of a TV there. Just some friendly suggestions. This theme is going to be the best one on here when its done i just know it! 

Edited by MatticusFinch1820

It is awesome I hope like Viking you might be interested in covering the less popular & odd systems.  

The idea above with more morden TV for newer console does make sense.  

One note suggestion when selecting the arcade system it becomes a TV.  Could it not do like a close up view of the arcade machine I think it could be a cool detail 

I use Critical zone theme because it's easy to create a new system.

If you can do different theme for this system it will be the paradise for me: 

• 3DO Interactive Multiplayer
  • Acorn BBC Micro
  • Amiga CD32
  • Amstrad CPC
  • Amstrad GX4000
  • Android
  • Apple II
  • Apple II GS
  • Apple Macintosh (classic)
  • Arcade
  • Amiga
  • APF Imagination Machine
  • Atari ST
  • Atari 800
  • Atari 2600
  • Atari 5200
  • Atari 7800
  • Atari Jaguar
  • Atari Lynx
  • Bally Astrocade
  • Camputers Lynx
  • Cave
  • Casio PV-1000
  • Colecovision
  • Commodore 64
  • Commodore PET
  • Commodore VIC-20
  • Capcom System I
  • Capcom System II
  • Capcom System III
  • Coleco ADAM
  • Daphne 
  • Emerson Arcadia 2001
  • Entex Adventure Vision
  • Epoch Super Cassette Vision
  • Epoch Game Pocket Computer
  • Exidy Sorcerer
  • Fairchild Channel F
  • Fujitsu FM Towns Marty
  • Funtech Super Acan
  • Game & Watch
  • GCE Vectrex
  • Hartung Game Master
  • Intellivision
  • Interton VC 4000
  • Luxor ABC 80
  • Mame
  • Mattel Aquarius
  • Microsoft MSX
  • Microsoft Xbox
  • Microsoft Xbox 360
  • MS Dos
  • Movie (Cinema)
  • Magnavox Odyssey 2
  • Nec PC-FX
  • Nec SuperGraFX
  • NEC PC-9801
  • Neo Geo Pocket
  • Neo Geo Pocket Color
  • NeoGeo
  • NeoGeo CD
  • NeoGeo MVS Arcade
  • Nintendo 3DS
  • Nintendo 64
  • Nintendo 64 DD
  • Nintendo DS
  • Nintendo NES
  • Nintendo Famicom
  • Nintendo Famicom Disk System
  • Nintendo GameBoy
  • Nintendo GameBoy Color
  • Nintendo GameBoy Advance
  • Nintendo GameCube
  • Nintendo VirtualBoy
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Nintendo WiiWare
  • Nintendo WiiU
  • OpenBOR
  • Philips CD-i
  • PC-Engine
  • PC-Engine CD / DUO
  • RCA Studio II
  • Sega 32X
  • Sega CD
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • Sega GameGear
  • Sega MasterSystem
  • Sega MegaDrive
  • Sega MegaDrive (Japan)
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega Model 2
  • Sega Model 3
  • Sega Naomi
  • Sega Hikaru
  • Sega Sarturn
  • Sega SC-3000
  • Sega SG-1000
  • Sega Triforce
  • Sony PlayStation
  • Sony PlayStation 2
  • Sony PlayStation 3
  • Sony PSP
  • Sinclair ZX Spectrum
  • Spectravideo
  • Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Famicom design)
  • Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES design)
  • Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Japan version & video)
  • Taito Type X
  • Tiger Game.com
  • TurboGrafx-16
  • TurboGrafx-CD
  • Tandy TRS-80 Color Computer
  • Visual Pinball
  • VTech CreatiVision
  • Sammy Atomiswave
  • ScummVM
  • Watara Supervision
  • Windows (AAA game style)
  • Windows (Indie game style)
  • WonderSwan
  • WonderSwan Color
  • WoW Action Max
  • Zen Pinball FX2

Hey everyone, thanks for all the feedback. Ive been taking a little break for the holidays ..(my job has me in front of a computer all day as it is) But hopefully i can get back in there and add some more to it. 

As per some folks having problems with the videos not playing,I'm still not sure why its doing that. If anyone wants to see those posts earlier in this thread and dig in there to see if they can fix it, feel free. 

Thanks for your interest and hopefully I can have some updates soon. Peace!

• Like 4

Hey everyone, thanks for all the feedback. Ive been taking a little break for the holidays ..(my job has me in front of a computer all day as it is) But hopefully i can get back in there and add some more to it. 

As per some folks having problems with the videos not playing,I'm still not sure why its doing that. If anyone wants to see those posts earlier in this thread and dig in there to see if they can fix it, feel free. 

Thanks for your interest and hopefully I can have some updates soon. Peace!

Where can I download, I can't seem to find a link :/ sorry for the dumb question.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

saw the video and really like how it looks. Installed it, selected it but I still see the default looking theme when looking in Platform mode. Platforms to the left, recents at the bottom, details to the right and only see the TV with retro platforms stuff around it in the little place for it at the top middle portion of the screen.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong that its not taking up the full screen with platform logos to the right.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2017 at 2:45 AM, vice350z said:

saw the video and really like how it looks. Installed it, selected it but I still see the default looking theme when looking in Platform mode. Platforms to the left, recents at the bottom, details to the right and only see the TV with retro platforms stuff around it in the little place for it at the top middle portion of the screen.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong that its not taking up the full screen with platform logos to the right.

My settings are: 
General -
1J0e8s.jpg

Views - 
1HlwuP.jpg

Images

IjbP38.jpg

And i get this boring main menu ? :(
CY3R8F.jpg

I figured it out...have to have it on the correct View. I mapped my K key to change views while in Big Box and was easily able to switch views till it showed up correctly. Love this theme.

Is there any chance the template could be shared if we wanted to edit the image with say our own mags/cart choices and the such? 

Awesome! I'm glad it's working, I hope that could potentially help some of the other folks having problems. 

As far as the template, absolutely! I built to photoshop file so it could (hopefully) be pretty editable.I'll take a look at it tonight or tomorrow and clean it up so I can be uploaded. 

1 hour ago, skainlurmis said:

Awesome! I'm glad it's working, I hope that could potentially help some of the other folks having problems. 

As far as the template, absolutely! I built to photoshop file so it could (hopefully) be pretty editable.I'll take a look at it tonight or tomorrow and clean it up so I can be uploaded. 

Cool..thanks. Don't mean any disrespect asking for the template. I love what you did already and probably wont change anything but I like to tinker with things :) 

another question...new to LaunchBox and like i said I like to tinker with things...are we allowed to change stuff with a user's created theme? I like your theme but was just messing around with making it a "bedroom" theme instead of arcade theme and changing the room around for each decade. Messed around with an 80's room for the NES...very rough but just wanted an idea of what it could look like.

nes80s.jpg

Edited by vice350z
  • Like 3

OOOOOHHHH I Love that!!! That's great! I don't know about other creators or if there is a general rule about that, but I personally am fine with that. My big thing is if you did come out with something, that you just mention "this was based on ..." or just some form of credit. Otherwise please, go crazy. I'll get some template files up today and I'm going to start trying to address some of the suggestions above. I'm just glad you like it! 

@stephy This may be a really stupid question, but have you switched views at all? I only implemented the one view, but I believe as "default views" go it might be the second or third, so you would have to scroll through them. 

Here are my personal settings 

views.jpg

images.jpg

videos.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skainlurmis said:

Also, ..so that's a ....pretty insane list of platforms up top, any suggestions on what I should tackle first? What is everyone looking for the most and then maybe in the future I can start getting to the more obscure stuff. 

Personally I have even more systems and obscure.   I would never expect all to be covered but I can hope :)  anyway I do think just start with the more common systems that you don't have.  Can't remember what is in and what isn't :)

21 hours ago, vice350z said:

another question...new to LaunchBox and like i said I like to tinker with things...are we allowed to change stuff with a user's created theme? I like your theme but was just messing around with making it a "bedroom" theme instead of arcade theme and changing the room around for each decade. Messed around with an 80's room for the NES...very rough but just wanted an idea of what it could look like.

nes80s.jpg

This is awesome!!! I like the Bedroom theme much better! It would be cool to be able to have the arcade theme for the arcade systems and then have these bedroom themes for the consoles which each console having the TV of its era and posters of its era in there. What an amazing theme if that could be done like above! 

• Like 1